PDA

View Full Version : 6ft ipad cable(worked with ipad2) won't work with the new iPad...

x-evil-x
Mar 17, 2012, 06:09 AM
I bought a few black iPod/iphone/ipad cables i don't like the white ones and it worked fine on my iPad 2 and still works with my iPhone4 but the new iPad says not charging now from this same cable. Anybody know if any black 6 foot cables that will work? thanks

TB07-NJ
Mar 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
I bought a few black iPod/iphone/ipad cables i don't like the white ones and it worked fine on my iPad 2 and still works with my iPhone4 but the new iPad says not charging now from this same cable. Anybody know if any black 6 foot cables that will work? thanks The one I got from Amazon works fine. YMMV

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Extra-Cable-Charger-iPhone/dp/B004UHDUNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988027&sr=8-1

x-evil-x
Mar 17, 2012, 07:46 AM
with the standard connector that comes in the box right? just ordered them.

Finiksa
Mar 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
it worked fine on my iPad 2 and still works with my iPhone4 but the new iPad says not charging now from this same cable.

If it says "not charging" on screen then the cable is supplying power just not enough to power the display and increase the battery charge. It could be a faulty/poor quality cable or it could be a problem with the charger, you should check both.

Dechter
Mar 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
I bought a few black iPod/iphone/ipad cables i don't like the white ones and it worked fine on my iPad 2 and still works with my iPhone4 but the new iPad says not charging now from this same cable. Anybody know if any black 6 foot cables that will work? thanks

I have this same issue with one of my retractable cables that I bought from Amazon last year. It charged my iPad 2 just fine, but the new iPad says "Not Charging" in the corner. The new iPad does sync with the cable just fine and another, even older retractable cable still charges it, too, so I'm not sure what's up. I suppose the higher power requirements of the new iPad are just too much for some cables, which is a bummer.

I tried charging both to my MacBook Pro and direct on the 10w power supply that came with the new iPad.

O-H-T
Mar 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
I noticed the same thing this morning, I have a 6ft cable which charged the iPad a bit overnight, this morning it said not charging. I unplugged and plugged it in again, reset the iPad and it stuck at 78% for a while then changed to not charging again.

Tried it with an official apple cable and it worked just fine!

No idea what the problem is.

Indigovalley
Mar 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
The USB cable I received with my new iPad 3 is thinner than the cable for my iPad 2. Is there a reason for this?

Haven't tried the iPad 2 cable with the iPad 3 yet...

DctrJ
Mar 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
I just tried some 6' cables I ordered.off eBay. They charge our iPhones and iPad 1 fine but say "not charging" on the new iPad. Interesting...

damzz
Apr 1, 2012, 03:26 PM
I have tried 5 current USB extension cables from 6' to 16' and none worked. I've tried 2 aftermarket USB-Dock cables and they did not work despite the claims they would on the iPad 3. The Energizer iPad charger with cable works. The only USB extension cables that work are two pre USB 3 cables - maybe pre USB 2 - that I had. One would expect the newer faster better shielded cables would not be a problem but they are. Any thoughts?

I posted this in the adftermarket cables thread.

TB07-NJ: I tried the KHOMO white cables and they did not work on the iPad 3. What's up?

ikiss
Apr 1, 2012, 04:12 PM
It is rumoured that charging an iPad3 can be somewhat different to earlier models.

Have you tried placing the iPad in sleep mode when charging it from a computer USB port (or laptop) The computer USB is not powerful enough to properly charge an iPad3.

I normally charge from a wall outlet.

Shame Apple didn't incorporate USB3 into iPad3... we wait for iPad4 I guess...

brand
Apr 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
Shame Apple didn't incorporate USB3 into iPad3... we wait for iPad4 I guess...

Apple has not put USB3 on any of their computers yet so why do you think they would put it on an iOS device? Hopefully the iPad and iPhone get ThunderBolt instead of USB3.

ICEMAN 316
Apr 1, 2012, 04:54 PM
The one I got from Amazon works fine. YMMV

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-Extra-Cable-Charger-iPhone/dp/B004UHDUNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988027&sr=8-1

I just returned the same brand 10' one from amazon because it didn't charge my iPad 3 :( do you think the 6' one is different?

ikiss
Apr 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hi,
Apple won't support ThunderBolt much longer... its simply too slow.

USB3 is way faster, but Apple are waiting- waiting to see what move Intel makes.

Anyway back to topic at hand... the USB charging of an iPad3. I heard some where that the iPad3 keeps charging even when it says it already charged.. yes ?

What I'm worried about is using the wrong USB cable as it may deteriorate battery life.