Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Im trying to activate the cellular data on my new iPad, using a new Rogers LTE SIM card purchased at the same time as the iPad. I can't, for the life of me, get it to work.

I've tried toggling off LTE, I've tried adding the Rogers APN settings (rogers-core-appl1.apn), lots of reboots, and still nothing. Under Settings -> General -> About, Network shows "unavailable" and at the top of the iPad it continues to say "No Service". The About page does show ROGERS 12.0 for carrier and it lists an IMEI.

I seem to remember seeing "SIM not provisioned" at one point - I think when I pressed the "Network: Unknown" field under About. Now I don't see that anywhere though.

Anyone have some tips? Maybe a Canadian Rogers person?

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Actually I am having the same issue. In the iPad roger page they seem to say that by sync with iTunes the setting should be pushed to the device, but it is not working!

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Actually I am having the same issue. In the iPad roger page they seem to say that by sync with iTunes the setting should be pushed to the device, but it is not working!

Have a read over here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3811281?start=15&tstart=0

Some unfortunate signs that Rogers is screwing us around. If this is in fact the case and LTE data needs to be activated as a monthly plan in-store, I'm bailing. Hopefully Bell or Verizon come up with something better.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't get my iPad yet but from the looks of this map, I won't even be able to get LTE? It's that rusty color red where as LTE is purple. Does that mean I'll be able to set my monthly plans up on my iPad since it'll be 4G? The issue is that LTE people can't set up their LTE data plans over their iPad, right?

map: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...nsumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Network_0909-_-coverage

Not sure. I tried turning off LTE and still wasn't able. I'd be inclined to think it won't work for any iPad 3. Then again, maybe with a non-LTE sim it might work. I think a lot of people have been trying their iPad 2 sims to no avail though. In short, I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

HeySamantha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
Not sure. I tried turning off LTE and still wasn't able. I'd be inclined to think it won't work for any iPad 3. Then again, maybe with a non-LTE sim it might work. I think a lot of people have been trying their iPad 2 sims to no avail though. In short, I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

That sucks, so they basically don't have on-device data activation for iPad 3, even though they said they did. Rude!

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
That sucks, so they basically don't have on-device data activation for iPad 3, even though they said they did. Rude!

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and next week Rogers will clear things up. Right now we can only speculate, although I admit it doesn't look especially promising :(

HeySamantha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and next week Rogers will clear things up. Right now we can only speculate, although I admit it doesn't look especially promising :(

They also want you to sign up for a plan which will come out of your bank account every month, right? rather than the plans timing out at a month and then needing you to re-activate a plan? So to cancel data for a month, we'll have to call them now instead of just getting it run out, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.