PDA

View Full Version : Huge difference in display quality...

macbook123
Mar 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
I just got the iPad 3 and going back to working on my Air is quite a shock, in term of the display quality (saturation of font, color vibrancy/accuracy, resolution)!

The new Air's/Pro's absolutely NEED to have an IPS quality display, possibly with higher PPI count. I really hope that Apple will finally get around to putting higher quality displays on their laptops and not lose against e.g., Asus (http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/12/2864340/asus-ux31a-ux21a-ivy-bridge-ultrabook-specs-exclusive).

appleguy123
Mar 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Me too. I've never loved my iPad more, and I rather dread going to my air for serious work. Never thought the I'd have that problem.

KPOM
Mar 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
Me too. I've never lived my iPad more, and I rather dread going to my air for serious work. Never thought the I'd have that problem.

Hopefully Apple keeps up with ASUS' new Zenbook and updates the resolution on the next MacBook Air.

That said, I still prefer the Air to the iPad for serious work. The saturation and resolution on the iPad screen are nice, but OS X and the Core i5/i7 are still much more powerful than iOS and ARM.

appleguy123
Mar 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hopefully Apple keeps up with ASUS' new Zenbook and updates the resolution on the next MacBook Air.

That said, I still prefer the Air to the iPad for serious work. The saturation and resolution on the iPad screen are nice, but OS X and the Core i5/i7 are still much more powerful than iOS and ARM.

The MacBook air is better, but the iPad is so much more fun to use.

macbook123
Mar 17, 2012, 02:56 PM

I fully agree, I can't see myself using the iPad for much more than "consuming".

Perhaps IPS technology will be a main distinguishing feature for the new optical drive-free Macbook Pro's versus the Air?

Moonjumper
Mar 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm looking forward to hi-res screens on all the Macs. I'm hoping for non-reflective as well. The technology for both is available. The cost and suitability for mass production are the problems. Lets hope they are solved problems.

Buildbright
Mar 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
See I always thought the Air had an Awesome display at least mine does. The iPad 3 is great and I love it but I still think my 13" Air looks great. The iPad 2 on the other hand is a different story...lol

moxxey
Mar 18, 2012, 06:35 AM
I'm looking forward to hi-res screens on all the Macs. I'm hoping for non-reflective as well. The technology for both is available. The cost and suitability for mass production are the problems. Lets hope they are solved problems.

It's not going to happen. You've seen that the iPad 3 requires twice as much battery power, takes twice as long to charge and gets warmer. All the things us Air users would complain about!

I can live without a retina screen on my Air if they could *improve* the battery. I don't want to charge it for longer, I don't want a bigger battery, I don't want my Air to get hotter.

People really do not think these things through. Air is about portability. It's about taking something on the road that is ultra-light and shouldn't need charging.

yegon
Mar 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
A 10hr+ real world battery life is the thing I'd take from the iPad more than anything else, not the display.

Pleased to say I've no problem with the res on my Air relative to the new iPad. I thought I would, like the disappointment of using the iPad 1 after using an iPhone 4, but the distance between my eyes and the screen when using my mba means it doesn't bother me at all. That said, I'd quite happily take a 1680x1050 display. I'll have my current 2011 13" mba for another few years though, by then I expect it will be extremely high res and 10hr+ battery life anyway.

Plus, as much as I love my new iPad, the mba, or indeed any laptop, is a million times more versatile when you do anything beyond consuming. I see and hear lots of testimonials from people who claim they can use an iPad for everything when coupled with a keyboard, but to me that means massive compromises and I suspect sometimes they're trying to convince themselves.

neott
Mar 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Air is about portability. It's about taking something on the road that is ultra-light and shouldn't need charging.

bit like the iPad then no? :)

macbook123
Mar 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Last time I checked an IPS display didn't consume more power than a non-IPS one. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

It's not going to happen. You've seen that the iPad 3 requires twice as much battery power, takes twice as long to charge and gets warmer. All the things us Air users would complain about!

I can live without a retina screen on my Air if they could *improve* the battery. I don't want to charge it for longer, I don't want a bigger battery, I don't want my Air to get hotter.

People really do not think these things through. Air is about portability. It's about taking something on the road that is ultra-light and shouldn't need charging.

rolfbert
Mar 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
bit like the iPad then no? :)
no, more like an iphone

aph3x
Mar 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
I fully expect Apple to roll out 'Retina' displays soon for the Mac line. I think they may only do MacBook Pro's to start but hopefully the entire line. I'd love to have the resolution of my iPad on my 13" Air.

warfed
Mar 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
The new Air's/Pro's absolutely NEED to have an IPS quality display, possibly with higher PPI count. I really hope that Apple will finally get around to putting higher quality displays on their laptops and not lose against e.g., Asus (http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/12/2864340/asus-ux31a-ux21a-ivy-bridge-ultrabook-specs-exclusive).

I agree that the Air should have a higher resolution IPS screen, but the zenbook certainly is not a good comparison since its display is lower quality. It's higher resolution and brighter, but has worse viewing angles and overall quality.

Edit: I should read the posted link first haha... I didn't realize it was for the refresh, I take back my comment. The new Air better have an IPS screen...

polee
Mar 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
The macbook air's screen certainly looks pixellated now that I have been using my ipad for a day or so. Oh dear, when the macbook air comes out with retina display, I am going to be very tempted to upgrade! By the way, the new ipad is simply great, I have no regrets getting it.

moxxey
Mar 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Last time I checked an IPS display didn't consume more power than a non-IPS one. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

So why does the iPad 3 have twice the battery capacity and take twice as long to charge? The primary difference is the CPU/GPU required to power the new screen.

Stick a retina display in the Air and battery life isn't going to go up, unless they increase the battery capacity, like they did in the iPad 3, making it heavier.

tom vilsack
Mar 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
So you want the next air to be...

-twice as long to charge?
-more weight?
-hot on your lap?

ill pass!

macbook123
Mar 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
So why does the iPad 3 have twice the battery capacity and take twice as long to charge? The primary difference is the CPU/GPU required to power the new screen.

Stick a retina display in the Air and battery life isn't going to go up, unless they increase the battery capacity, like they did in the iPad 3, making it heavier.

That's primarily to power the 4G, and secondarily to power the higher resolution. IPS technology has nothing to do with it.

----------

So you want the next air to be...

-twice as long to charge?
-more weight?
-hot on your lap?

ill pass!

Why are you so arrogant yet completely off topic?

Buildbright
Mar 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
No thank you to the iPad 3 battery in a laptop. Have you charged one lately 8 hours from 6%. The Air charges like lighting I prefer that then having to wait all day to charge the battery.

jcg878
Mar 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
Seems like the charging issue would be an easy one to fix for an Air. All it would take is a more powerful charger, no? The 10w charger for the iPad seems to have fallen behind the battery capacity need. The Air already has the least powerful charger of the MacBook line, couldnt they just upgrade it?