PDA

View Full Version : StudioNeat Cosmonaut Stylus

AnthonySmith
Mar 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'll assume you have seen this before.

http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut

I'm on the hunt for a stylus. A big-game hunt.

I need to find the perfect stylus. I don't was a super squishy tip, and I don't want a disc tip at the end. I want something durable and something that's great for both note-taking and for general use.

I saw this and I thought this may be what I'm looking. I've ordered and cancelled two stylus' already after having second thoughts and/or watching reviews on them.

First I bought the Adonit Jot Pro. Then I figured it wouldn't be a great tool for general use such as browsing the web.

After that, I bought a Spigen SGP Kuel H12. I watched a video of it and the tip looked like it was extremely thin and weak.

Does anybody have any experience with one of these Cosmonaut's?

What can you recommend for another stylus that doesn't have a squishy tip?

srsbusiness
Mar 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
im looking for a stylus too.. so let me know what you end up getting!

ReallyBigFeet
Mar 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It looks and writes more like a marker than a pen. Maybe if you like writing with a crayon I suppose.

Akoiso
Mar 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Im in the market too and almost bought this last night. There are a few reviews on youtube but they aren't really that informative. I do like the looks of this just looking for a better review before I shell out the cash.

KennyM2
Mar 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It looks and writes more like a marker than a pen. Maybe if you like writing with a crayon I suppose.
This, looks really inaccurate, isn't that the point of a stylus?

AnthonySmith
Mar 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
So no Cosmonaut. No Jot Pro. No Kuel H12.

I also really like the Wacom Bamboo, but I've heard the tip wears down really easily.

Anyone experience this?

Lone Deranger
Mar 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Personally Iím waiting for the Blue Tiger stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/bluetiger) from Ten One Design. It has pressure sensitivity via BlueTooth 4.0 and an SDK so developers can add support for it in their apps! :D

KennyM2
Mar 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
So no Cosmonaut. No Jot Pro. No Kuel H12.

I also really like the Wacom Bamboo, but I've heard the tip wears down really easily.

Anyone experience this?
I ordered a Wacom Bamboo myself from eBay, heard the nib wears down after a couple months of daily use, and that the replacement nibs are hard to come by. The stylus itself seems very good, can't wait to get mine.

ReallyBigFeet
Mar 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've had my Bamboo since September, used several hours per day 5 days a week. Wore out one tip. The tips are very difficult to obtain....Wacom seems to never have them in stock.

But unless you use it constantly like I do, I doubt you'll wear one out quickly.

hitekalex
Mar 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
Wacom Bamboo is an overpriced crap. Cosmonaut is by far the best capacitive stylus out there.

ecschwarz
Mar 31, 2012, 05:42 PM
This, looks really inaccurate, isn't that the point of a stylus?

The way the iPad screen works, it is a bit more inaccurate than some resistive-style screens and graphics tablets. I think it's still pretty good, but having a fatter tip won't really affect usage. (Think of all the drawing apps - if you use the smallest brush/pen size, you have to go a bit slow or it skips)

http://www.newtabletreviews.com/tablet-101/capacitive-vs-resistive-touchscreens/

Still, I've tried a number of styli for the iPad, and the Cosmonaut is my favorite by far. It's a good mix of being comfortable and feeling good against the screen.

Emoo
Mar 31, 2012, 10:20 PM
All I remember about the cosmonaut is that some guy from my college helped design it. I got a wacom bamboo, which until the rubber tip started splitting the other day was brilliant. They sell spare tips though, and I'm hoping they come in stock soon. Adonit Jot is next on my list to try.

jackc
Mar 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
The Cosmonaut looks pretty good. Since tips have to be a certain thickness, it's probably about as accurate as most of the others.

I ordered an iFaraday, don't have it yet.

squidkitten
Mar 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
I got the iFaraday Rx II this week and I absolutely LOVE it. It writes well and is great for drawing. It does have a bit of a softer tip than I think you're looking for, but the material makes it write really smoothly across the screen. It's better on your screen than rubber tips or other materials that can break down. It also fits really nicely in your hand, and has a nice weight. Plus, the Rx and Rx II have a pen cap for them, so you can just toss it in your bag!

And if you aren't satisfied after 30 days, you can send it back and get a refund.

I can't say enough nice things about iFaraday. I spent a long time researching and trying to find the perfect stylus, and I think I found it!

sealos
Apr 1, 2012, 08:30 AM
I have a Cosmonaut and like it for the most part. The issue I'm experiencing is that it is really girthy and if you are trying to tap anything small... I have to angle the stylus so I can see the tip. Kind of annoying when you need precision.

BTW... My 5-year old son LOVES the Cosmonaut.

SYale
Apr 1, 2012, 08:50 AM
I got the iFaraday Rx II this week and I absolutely LOVE it. It writes well and is great for drawing. It does have a bit of a softer tip than I think you're looking for, but the material makes it write really smoothly across the screen. It's better on your screen than rubber tips or other materials that can break down. It also fits really nicely in your hand, and has a nice weight. Plus, the Rx and Rx II have a pen cap for them, so you can just toss it in your bag!

And if you aren't satisfied after 30 days, you can send it back and get a refund.

I can't say enough nice things about iFaraday. I spent a long time researching and trying to find the perfect stylus, and I think I found it!

Are there any videos showing off the iFaraday RxII? Why is their Rx series developed for medical professionals as opposed to other styluses, haha. (I am a medical student...).

LushMojo
Apr 1, 2012, 12:40 PM
Are there any videos showing off the iFaraday RxII? Why is their Rx series developed for medical professionals as opposed to other styluses, haha. (I am a medical student...).

Med student here as well. I'd like to get a stylus with the diameter and heft of a nice pen (Mont Blanc, Pelikan, the like) without going to the Cosmonaut. I have the Bamboo and like it okay, but it just feels tiny (diameter, length and weight).

Where's the stylus that looks and feels like a real pen?

squidkitten
Apr 5, 2012, 07:48 PM

I don't think there are any videos specifically for the iFaraday RxII, but it's good for medical professionals because it comes with a pen cap, so it's easy to tuck away in a pocket, and it also has a rubber cover on the metal barrel so that it won't scratch the screen if you're jotting down patient notes quickly and not paying much attention.

I'm just your average film student looking for a stylus to doodle with, but I love the cap for tossing it in my bag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgs9XAjgyY

Here's a video of an artist using an iFaraday stylus. It's from the artist series, so it's not quite domed as the RxII, but maybe this will give you some idea of how it works?

SYale
Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 PM
I don't think there are any videos specifically for the iFaraday RxII, but it's good for medical professionals because it comes with a pen cap, so it's easy to tuck away in a pocket, and it also has a rubber cover on the metal barrel so that it won't scratch the screen if you're jotting down patient notes quickly and not paying much attention.

I'm just your average film student looking for a stylus to doodle with, but I love the cap for tossing it in my bag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgs9XAjgyY

Here's a video of an artist using an iFaraday stylus. It's from the artist series, so it's not quite domed as the RxII, but maybe this will give you some idea of how it works?

Thanks for your informative post! I'm literally just ending my first year, and won't start really rounding on patients during rotations for another year. So far just wanted to use it for class (such as PDFs and such). Was just curious as to why it was "geared for medical professionals", haha. Can't wait until I get my hands on my iPad...at parent's house...didn't want to distract myself from final exams in 1 week! :(