PDA

View Full Version : I Finally made the switch today

KiDrOck80
Jun 25, 2005, 01:42 PM
well, after a year of waiting...i finally bought my first mac today at my local apple store. I bought the 15" powerbook...and im LOVING it. It's a lot to get used to, especially after using windows computers for years. my only regret..i should have made the switch sooner. :D :D :D

tuartboy
Jun 25, 2005, 01:55 PM
well, after a year of waiting...i finally bought my first mac today at my local apple store. I bought the 15" powerbook...and im LOVING it. It's a lot to get used to, especially after using windows computers for years. my only regret..i should have made the switch sooner. :D :D :D
welcome

wdlove
Jun 25, 2005, 01:58 PM
It's not an easy thing to switch from an operating system for years. You shouldn't feel bad about waiting. Did you increase memory? What software or extras did you get? Hopefully you got AppleCare though.

Lacero
Jun 25, 2005, 02:00 PM
Why are you using the PowerBook for? It's funny you made the switch at this time, when Macs are going over to the Intel Centrinos.

law guy
Jun 25, 2005, 02:02 PM

Congratulations. I love working with Macs. I have a 15" PB and it just begs to become something of a sidekick (take me with you!, it seems to say). If you're looking for a way to keep it safe when it comes along - I have found the timbuk2 bags (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=7) are great - I have two (orange, yellow, orange and a blue, silver, blue) and they fit my 15" PB and my 15" TP just fine and have so many great places to put things. Have a great time with your mac.

EDIT - and I see you've been registered at MR since Aug of 2003 - must have been torture to read all of those posts for all of those months without a Mac of your own. Glad to see that remedied!

michaelrjohnson
Jun 25, 2005, 02:02 PM
Macs are going over to the Intel Centrinos.
Intel chips. Exact chip specs are unkown.

Congrats on the PowerBook! Mine should be here by the end of the week. I can't imagine having to switch.. I've been a Mac user my whole life. Welcome to the Mac!

runninmac
Jun 25, 2005, 02:06 PM
Why are you using the PowerBook for? It's funny you made the switch at this time, when Macs are going over to the Intel Centrinos.

Isn't it just Intel Prosessers, we dont know what they will be using. And its a good time to switch he will be alot less likely to get a defective product becuase this is on its 4th or 5th revision then with a Intel that has a brand new proesesser architecture.

JonHimself
Jun 25, 2005, 03:00 PM
Isn't it just Intel Prosessers, we dont know what they will be using. And its a good time to switch he will be alot less likely to get a defective product becuase this is on its 4th or 5th revision then with a Intel that has a brand new proesesser architecture.

Exactly, and its not like the powerbook won't work in a years time either... I would assume that it will be more than enough by the time the transition has been completed, let alone the time that it starts....

KiDrOck80
Jun 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
Everyone on here helped me out a lot in the decision process and i thank you all. If i didnt come across this forum, i dont know where i would be...probably in line to purchase another plain windows laptop :p ...i got the 1.5ghz, 512 Mb ram, 80Gb HD and combo drive...just what i need...I did purchase the apple care, because i will be attending college in the fall and i know that i will need all the added security i can get, especially for such an investment as this :) ....Yes, indeed it was torture to read these sites day in and day out..knowing i was just one more day close to buying one of these....I bought the computer now, because...i wanted to...plain and simple..the employees at apple even told me not to buy the first mactel, and that theres really not much of a difference between the two chips..in speed wise. Like i said..i should have bought one of these sooner...

FFTT
Jun 25, 2005, 05:30 PM
Welcome!

You'll find the Mac user forums even more helpful as you get to know
the way everything is organized.

You'll absolutely love all the nifty keyboard shortcuts.

Don't freak out if suddenly one of your dock Icon's goes POOF! :D

Any application you open puts the corresponding (shortcut) Icon in your dock
You can control click and "keep in dock" for apps you will use often
and drag them from side to side to organize them the way you prefer them.

Try to keep your Home folder organized pretty much the way it comes and add new folders as necessary, but they all go somewhere in your Home folder.

You'll soon wonder why anyone in their right mnd would bother with Windows.

Enjoy!

3lions
Jun 25, 2005, 05:31 PM
congrats on your new mac, enjoy it!

DJY
Jun 25, 2005, 07:11 PM
Welcome mate!
You won't regret it!
And whilst the first day or two things seem strange - I suspect you will be copmletely amazed and surprised how quickly everything becomes easy!

Don't be surprised if you can't stop talking about it to all your friends...
Don't be surprised if you somewho seem to work you new lovely precious into most conversations!
Don't be surprised if you start switching other friends as well!

I siwtched twelve months ago and still very much a proud satisfied customer.