Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
So, I got this ancient server running at home.
It's a mail server for 5 users. All are IMAP based and all mail is stored on the server. Just recently I've upgraded the hard disks in the server computer and I wanted to move the mail storage from the system disk to another one.
The server manager allows paths to IMAP database and IMAP storage to be typed in (or browsed for). What I did was:
- stop the mail server,
- copy all contents from old location to the new one using root privileges (using Midnight Commander in a remote terminal session),
- type the new paths into the server manager, save,
- start the mail server.
The effect was:
- mail clients see empty IMAP mailboxes, although the contents of both pairs (old/new database folder. old/new mailbox folder) are exactly the same.

Question: how do I move all existing IMAP mailboxes from one folder to another intact, so the users do not notice anything has changed apart from better performance?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
So, I got this ancient server running at home.
It's a mail server for 5 users. All are IMAP based and all mail is stored on the server. Just recently I've upgraded the hard disks in the server computer and I wanted to move the mail storage from the system disk to another one.
The server manager allows paths to IMAP database and IMAP storage to be typed in (or browsed for). What I did was:
- stop the mail server,
- copy all contents from old location to the new one using root privileges (using Midnight Commander in a remote terminal session),
- type the new paths into the server manager, save,
- start the mail server.
The effect was:
- mail clients see empty IMAP mailboxes, although the contents of both pairs (old/new database folder. old/new mailbox folder) are exactly the same.

Question: how do I move all existing IMAP mailboxes from one folder to another intact, so the users do not notice anything has changed apart from better performance?

Are you sure that permissions are correct for mail? You have to give dovecot or whatever the name is on Leopard (I use Snow Leopard) access to the mail store. Look at the permissions of the folder and sub folders for the first mail store, create them on the folders of the second mail store, and then propagate the permissions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.