Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I like the smart cover but also want the back to be protected when the smart cover is covering the screen. Is there a case out for the new ipad that will cover the back but at the same time allow for the smart cover to function properly?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I like the smart cover but also want the back to be protected when the smart cover is covering the screen. Is there a case out for the new ipad that will cover the back but at the same time allow for the smart cover to function properly?

Yes, in two flavors:

1. Has an opening to allow the magnets of the Smart Cover to attach/detach at will.

2. Closes around the Smart Cover magnets locking-in the cover so it can't detach at all.

Check out http://www.macally.com as they have both types, Covermate and Smartmate.

Belkin too, called the Snap Shield and the Snap Shield Secure.

BJ

Last edited:

Djdan23323

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
I use the one from Incipio with the built in magnets to keep the smart cover open. And works with new IPad. (barely).

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Yes, in two flavors:

1. Has an opening to allow the magnets of the Smart Cover to attach/detach at will.

2. Closes around the Smart Cover magnets locking-in the cover so it can't detach at all.

Check out http://www.macally.com as they have both types, Covermate and Smartmate.

BJ

Thanks for the info. Which of those do you recommend, the one with the opening or the one that locks in? I see the locking in as only an advantage. I really don't plan on removing the smart cover.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Thanks for the info. Which of those do you recommend, the one with the opening or the one that locks in? I see the locking in as only an advantage. I really don't plan on removing the smart cover.

If you aren't removing the cover, definitely get one that "locks in". I've got kids, no brainer as the cover comes off quite easily if they grab it cover-only.

Posted the Belkin options too in the post above.

BJ

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
If you aren't removing the cover, definitely get one that "locks in". I've got kids, no brainer as the cover comes off quite easily if they grab it cover-only.

Posted the Belkin options too in the post above.

BJ

Snap Shield Secure doesn't lock around the cover hinge. The Secure part refers to a metal strip for the smart cover magnet to "secure" to when it's folded all the way back so it won't flop around.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
The Incipio Smart Feather locks in. I'm using it with an Apple Smart Cover and it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.