Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I'm attempting to help a friend who in my opinion royally effed up both their iMac's OS X partition and Windows 7 Boot Camp partition.

From what I've gathered, the following took place:
1. While in Windows, he shrunk his Windows 7 NTFS Boot Camp partition using Disk Management.
2. Created a new NTFS partition in this now unallocated space.
3. During the creation of the new NTFS partition, he was prompted to convert his disk to a Dynamic Disk - he accepted this change.
4. Upon rebooting his iMac, he discovered his OS X boot option was missing (when holding the ALT key), and his Windows 7 partition would BSOD when booting (even in Safe Mode).

Luckily, at this stage he realized he had totally messed up his iMac, didn't go any further and called me.

From the Windows 7 installation disk, I can see the following partitions:
- Disk 0 Partition 1 (200MB - Dynamic)
- Disk 0 Volume (465.7GB - Dynamic - I believe this is his OS X partition)
- Disk 0 Volume (619MB - Dynamic)
- Disk 0 Partition 2 (Windows HD - 435.8GB - System)
- Disk 0 Partition 3 (29.3GB - Dynamic - I believe this was the partition he created)

From the Mac OS X installation disk, I can see the following partitions:
- disk0s1
- disk0s2
- disk0s3
(Partition Types: Windows_LDM)

I tried booting his iMac in Target Disk Mode and reading it from both Windows and Mac, but I was unable to see any partitions from my system.

Basically I need to convert the disk from its current Dynamic state back to its original Basic state, and get this 30GB partition removed off the 1TB hard drive WITHOUT losing his data. He only cares about his data - he understands that I may not be able to recover the whole OS, but he needs his data back (particularly from his OS X partition).

How would I go about doing this? MiniTool's Partition Wizard? Hiren's Boot CD? GParted? A Linux live CD? Something else?

Thanks guys - sorry for the long post!

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Got it. Was able to EFI boot the iMac from a Ubuntu Live USB drive, access the Windows + Mac partitions and copy all their files to an external HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.