PDA

View Full Version : Portenzo vs fieldfolio

j.leson
Mar 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
I just went through a few pages on the fieldfolio and the portenzo. Would someone mind conforming the following, a case a new design has come out since last year:

1) The fieldfolio is cheaper and is sturdier, but doesn't have a stand like the portenzo.

2)The Portenzo looks better (IMO), but tends to warp after a few weeks of use? Thanks!

My ipad will frequently be in my messenger bag, and if the portenzo will warp (the warranty appears to only be 90 days), then I guess fieldfolio is the only choice.

Jameswma
Mar 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
Reason why I didn't get field folio was because there isn't an elastic strap to hold it close.

j.leson
Mar 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Reason why I didn't get field folio was because there isn't an elastic strap to hold it close.

Im assuming you got a portenzo? Have you ever sent it in for repair? I feel like the 90 day warranty is really short. Will portenzo repair after the warranty is up?

Coffee87
Mar 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Im assuming you got a portenzo? Have you ever sent it in for repair? I feel like the 90 day warranty is really short. Will portenzo repair after the warranty is up?

I tried contacting Portenzo after the warranty was up. The rubber corners on my case weren't holding the iPad securely. After the initial email they responded and asked for my order number. Then I never heard back from them. A week later I sent them an email asking for a status update. Zero response. Of course, YMMV, but the "customer service" made me not even consider going with Portenzo again.

I totally would have been fine with them saying "sorry, you are out of warranty, can't help you." But no contact at all is pretty pathetic, especially for the money I paid.

Jasmynsway
Mar 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
All the woodframed cases loosen over time. ALL. Many of them are beautiful, but be prepared for that. Choose the one you like and when the warping happens add or request more corners or switch to another case. I had the Pad & Quill Octavo. I loved it. I now use a smart cover and am waiting on the Incipio Smartfeather to arrive by mail.

j.leson
Mar 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
I tried contacting Portenzo after the warranty was up. The rubber corners on my case weren't holding the iPad securely. After the initial email they responded and asked for my order number. Then I never heard back from them. A week later I sent them an email asking for a status update. Zero response. Of course, YMMV, but the "customer service" made me not even consider going with Portenzo again.

I totally would have been fine with them saying "sorry, you are out of warranty, can't help you." But no contact at all is pretty pathetic, especially for the money I paid.

Wow, this is disappointing to hear.

All the woodframed cases loosen over time. ALL. Many of them are beautiful, but be prepared for that. Choose the one you like and when the warping happens add or request more corners or switch to another case. I had the Pad & Quill Octavo. I loved it. I now use a smart cover and am waiting on the Incipio Smartfeather to arrive by mail.

Yeah, the warping appears to be a serious issue across all woodframed cases. The fieldfolio is looking real good, right now.

marcello696
Mar 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
I had a Portenzo for the iPad 1&2 but as mentioned the wood warps over time and your iPad is no longer secure.

Beautiful case but not worth the long term risk of damaging your iPad. I opted this time to go with the switcheasy canvas and so far I'm loving it.

j.leson
Mar 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
I had a Portenzo for the iPad 1&2 but as mentioned the wood warps over time and your iPad is no longer secure.

Beautiful case but not worth the long term risk of damaging your iPad. I opted this time to go with the switcheasy canvas and so far I'm loving it.

Yeah, as much as I want an portenzo for the looks, I don't want to be in a situation where my case, also needs a case. :confused:

Jameswma
Mar 18, 2012, 06:03 PM

it is short but i've never had a problem with the wood warping. i never take the iPad in and out of its case. maybe thats why people are getting warped wood.

glen e
Mar 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have posted this elsewhere, I owned eight wood cases 2 potenzos, a few treegloos , dodos, and Pad and quills ... I wouldn't buy them again..... they are fine if they sit on your desk , however if you're going to travel with them where you going to use them on a mobile basis they warped when you pack them and they eventually split and crack. I had my whole field force in cases of wood/moleskins and took them all out and went back to ZUM plus a smart cover.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/448e46bd.jpg

The field folio uses a better frame but there have been comments on build quality.

j.leson
Mar 18, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have posted this elsewhere, I owned eight wood cases 2 potenzos, a few treegloos , dodos, and Pad and quills ... I wouldn't buy them again..... they are fine if they sit on your desk , however if you're going to travel with them where you going to use them on a mobile basis they warped when you pack them and they eventually split and crack. I had my whole field force in cases of wood/moleskins and took them all out and went back to ZUM plus a smart cover.

The field folio uses a better frame but there have been comments on build quality.

Ahh, that's too bad. Those cases look beautiful!

aohus
Mar 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
why is everyone so gaga over the ZUM case? if you happen to drop your iPad on a concrete floor, that ZUM case won't help at all.

it's the only reason why i'm going for a P&Q case, or the fieldfolio.

any other cases to recommend that would keep the iPad safe from an accidental drop to the ground?

GUCCIMAN
Mar 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
why is everyone so gaga over the ZUM case? if you happen to drop your iPad on a concrete floor, that ZUM case won't help at all.

it's the only reason why i'm going for a P&Q case, or the fieldfolio.

any other cases to recommend that would keep the iPad safe from an accidental drop to the ground?

dont be too sure about that... dunno anything about the zum or the fieldfolio interms of being dropped but i've seen many pics online of people who have dodos, portenzos or PQs and they dropped it on concrete.. and the corner chipped and the glass cracked from that spot

ant69
Mar 20, 2012, 06:49 PM

try posting on their Facebook wall, they seem pretty active on their wall and im sure wouldn't want any bad/unanswered comments for all to see?

Ant

DctrJ
Mar 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
I have read that Portenzo stopped using bamboo and moved to a different type of wood in their case to stop the problem of warping. I really like the looks of the case and I believe I am going to purchase one for my iPad 3. From the online reviews and videos I have watched I believe it's still a high-quality case.