Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hi,

I know I'm new here and all but I thought I'd give my suggestion anyway:

The Marketplace forum here is really cool and there are some great deals in there, but maybe you could put a note up in there so that should people want to advertise, they could put a country code first, to signify the areas for where the offer is available for. Like how the 'FS' and 'FT' parts work. So you could have titles like 'US FS Powerbook G4 12"' or 'EU FT Imac G4'.

You could use abbreviations such as:

US - America
CA - Canada
EU - Europe
UK - United Kingdom
DE - Germany
FR - France
IT - Italy
RU - Russia

I.e. basically just using the abbreviations used in website addresses for those countries. You could maybe have 'IN' or 'INT' for International.

I'm based in the UK and I keep looking through the Marketplace but never know which ones are US only or available for us folks from other countries too.

Just an idea!! :)

Kind Regards,

Phil

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Sounds like a good idea. Now how to get people to start to use it? Could mabey someone sticky it? or is it not upto the sticky satus?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
If anything I would like to see FS postings not listed on the front page they should be a separate "forum" that a link could be provided. Also as a revenue stream, a percentage of that sale should go to MR for up keep - unless the poster is a Demi-God.

Applespider

macrumors G4
This has come up before as an idea and I think the general consensus was that it was a good idea but tough to implement.

As a general rule, I'd say that most people outside the US usually do put their country in the title. There are quite a few FS (UK) in there for example.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I think this hits on the topic that I started in another thread. The Marketplace does need some attention, if it's to continue to be efficient in its function.

SUMMARY: I had proposed some further way of classifying posts as well. Check out the other thread too.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I do see "UK" in the titles of threads from time to time but I don't remember threads identifying other countries.

Am I right in assuming that the reason to identify the country is either

(a) the poster wants to buy/sell/trade only within his/her own country

or

(b) the poster wants to give people a clue about shipping costs

or is there more to it?

Also: If your thread is named "IT Looking for cheap iMacs" I think somebody is bound to think "it" is a pronoun, not a country code. Wouldn't it be better to say Italy for Italy, i.e., use country names instead of codes?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Along the lines of this, people who put up FS/FT or WTB threads should put their location in their location field, instead of leaving it blank or putting a joke in the space. It would save a lot of hassle.

And also, it would be nice if posts in the NA market clarify whether they are priced in terms of USD or CAD, since that comes up a lot. I'm trying to avoid be Americentric, but to be honest, it's mostly sales coming out of Canada in USD that are the issue, and not vice versa.

I think these sorts of things should just be part of the rules sticky, to be welcoming to our international family. :) I don't think enforcing them would be easy at all, as Applespider said.

EDIT: Dr. Q, I think beyond what you said as reasons, it is also because respondents are not sure whether or not the seller is willing to ship to them. A lot of people advertised products as "$50, shipped anywhere," but their notion of anywhere is the continental 48 US states and maybe DC.... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.