PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still have the plastic on while waiting for their screen protector?

heyyitzmelissa
Mar 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
I have the plastic it came with still on my iPad. Waiting for PowerSupport to release the screen protector

ronaldcastillo
Mar 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Still got mines one on.

kfscoll
Mar 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Jeez. Put it in a case that covers the front and back when you're not using it and don't worry about it. Besides, the PS screen protector that fits the iPad 2 will also fit the new iPad.

mobilehaathi
Mar 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
If you're that worried, just put it back in the box.

MR1324
Mar 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
might as well not even use it.

Mar 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
Jeez. Put it in a case that covers the front and back when you're not using it and don't worry about it.

That's what I do .... Why have a retina display and ruin it??

BFW122083
Mar 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
I used to put screen protectors on and obsess about it. I understand where you two are coming from, but it feels much better without one on, and you don't put it in your pocket like your phone so its MUCH less likely to get scratched. My iPad two (which is now my wifes) still looks brand new and had nothing but a smart cover.

number84
Mar 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
So annoying to use it through the plastic. I tried. Haha. But at the end of the day it's a device to be used. Unless you need to keep it pristine for resale. I'm just going to enjoy mine but will put it in a case once I get the case.

LanEvo
Mar 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
I wrapped it up with saran/plastic food wrap.

brand
Mar 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
I've heard that wrapping it in tin foil give the same effect as keeping the plastic packaging. Another advantage is that it would match your hat.

funkeruski
Mar 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Good god.

Macclone
Mar 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
Good god.

Are these posters serious or just playing around?

rman726
Mar 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
I don't get screen protectors on iPads. The screen simply does not get scratched on them, as it's not like you keep it in your pockets with your keys.

Mar 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Are these posters serious or just playing around?

I'd love to say playing around ....... But I'd be lying

Built
The Power Support Crystal Film for the iPad 3 is the same one as the Crystal Film labeled for the iPad 2.

I bought my iPad 3 on launch morning...got home...restored from a backup of my iPad 2 (Yes, I removed the plastic)...and immediately thereafter drove to the Power Support store in Burbank where they expertly installed the Crystal Film protector for me.

The Crystal Film looks awesome on the iPad 3...fits perfectly...

There is no need for you to wait any longer.

sekazi
I used to put screen protectors on and obsess about it. I understand where you two are coming from, but it feels much better without one on, and you don't put it in your pocket like your phone so its MUCH less likely to get scratched. My iPad two (which is now my wifes) still looks brand new and had nothing but a smart cover.

I hate the feel of plain glass. So matte is the only way to go imo.

UrsaMajor
Mar 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
From my understanding, the screen protector is not needed because apple doesn't supply them.

I use a case so I don't drop. But it's glass, you wipe it off.

porcupine8
Mar 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
I've been using my iPad 2 for a year with no screen protector, with a baby banging and drooling on it. Not a scratch. These things are built tough, a week without a layer of plastic over it won't do a thing. Just don't clean it with steel wool.

nfl46
Mar 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
Well, that's just plain...different.

firstapple
Mar 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ugh, definitely not. I am using it, because that's what I bought it for.

cschmelz
Mar 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
I've been using my iPad 2 for a year with no screen protector, with a baby banging and drooling on it. Not a scratch. These things are built tough, a week without a layer of plastic over it won't do a thing. Just don't clean it with steel wool.

Gorilla glass folks...Gorilla glass! This stuff is tough and designed to be used! It doesn't scratch easy!

Built
Mar 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
The glass itself won't scratch easily but the oleophobic coating will scratch which would explain the little nicks and scratches some folks have reported on their iPhones and iPads.

The way I see it...I don't really care if anybody else uses a screen protector, but for me, it represents peace of mind...

iMaconApple
Mar 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Well I just got my 32GB swap from a 16Gb was not feeling roomy and I still have the plastic cover on..haha yeah I'm taking it off..I'm not going to wait like a week for my power support to come..just keep it clean and use a clean micro fiber and blow it off..I sure do love the feel of nakedness :D

heyyitzmelissa
Mar 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
I've heard that wrapping it in tin foil give the same effect as keeping the plastic packaging. Another advantage is that it would match your hat.

This isn't irrational paranoia. It's me not wanting to scratch a screen I'll be looking at for the next year. I can still use the device. It's just a thin membrane of plastic.

Plastic on =/= useless.

Yumunum
Mar 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
I like how we can discuss simple (or what some would call, silly) things like this without too much ridicule.

It might be because it's an Apple forum... ;O

Anyways, I don't even use screen protectors really. If I had unlimited money and found a nice protector, maybe I would. But spending tons of money on protection really adds up once you've gone through many devices. Sometimes it's the small things that really add up.

Despite not using protection, I don't see any big negative effects. I don't remember scratching my iPad(s) when I had them. I'd say you might be fine not using the plastic for now. But I understand your concern.

Haziza
Mar 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
My Iphone 4 is one and half years old. I dont have single scratch on the screen.
I wont get any screen protector but i will my self a case.

GarryBacon
I used to also protect my screens on all my devices with screen protectors and invisible shields but it's just a waste of money. This iPad took straight out of the plastic and I don't even use a case. I use the smart cover and that is it. The thing is, the iPads have a small coating anyway and because it's glass you fold up the smart cover and use the inside material to clean it. As soon as you use chemicals like glass cleaner you take that coating off and make the device grainy to touch. Like many have said the main reason for applying screen shields is to prevent things like keys scratching the device, you just don't get that with an iPad. Also one more thing. If you apply all of these protectors you also notice more when you do have a scratch because your constantly looking. But I would it's your iPad you do what suits you. It's personal choice. :)

ChrisTX
Some people really are just overly paranoid. I took the plastic wrapping off of mine as soon as I got it out of the box!

NATO
Mar 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Not a chance, the feel of the iPad screen is lovely and I have a book-style case which protects back and front when being carried around. I really detest screen protectors as they ruin the look and feel of the display. Being glass, it's already extremely scratch resistant and I've never had a scratch on any previous iPhone or iPad over the years despite constant use.

LocoStrange
Mar 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Took mine off last night. Screen looks 10x better

Built
Mar 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
To the OP...The iPad is meant to be USED...

Rip that plastic off and enjoy it!

The one thing I will say is you have restraint...I was already playing with mine as it was restoring from the backup LOL

mikejfrd
Mar 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
I don't use a screen protector on my iPad either. The iPhone is a different story, but I can't fit my iPad in my pocket ;-)

Jessemtz25
Mar 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
I was debating putting on a screen protector but I think the glass will be fine without it. Plus the glass feels amazing! Just use a smart cover when not in use!

asleep
Mar 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
I do.

http://www.lastnightoffreedom.co.uk/images/shop/1/condom-costume-1.jpg

sekazi
Mar 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
I used mine for about 30 mins with the plastic. Took it off and used it for about an hour on glass. I then put my matte protector on and it has been that way since.

Stealthipad
Mar 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have the plastic it came with still on my iPad. Waiting for PowerSupport to release the screen protector

That is ridiculous. I have used three different iPad for years and never scratched a screen. Some of you are so OCD that it is ruining the joy of owning the hardware.

Jessemtz25
Mar 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
That is ridiculous. I have used three different iPad for years and never scratched a screen. Some of you are so OCD that it is ruining the joy of owning the hardware.

Very true.

xraytech
Mar 18, 2012, 04:00 PM

Power Support Screen Protects fit both the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

M5RahuL
Mar 18, 2012, 04:01 PM

Nope, ripped off the plastic and enjoying the iPad nude!!

It's only another fun gadget, and will retire next year for the iPad IV or the then ' New iPad '!

No worries here!!

slffl
Mar 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
It's completely ridiculous to put a screen protector on the iPad.

theshirlgirl
Mar 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
I respect those who use screen protectors, as I used to do the same. But when the first iPad came out, the real enjoyment (for me) was interacting directly with the screen. I've now grown accustomed to not having a screen protector and will never go back. I can't keep my fingers off that beautiful display!!!

To each his own, but these screens really are capable of being used directly, without the need for an added layer of protection.

Jessemtz25
Mar 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Well said.

Saturn007
Mar 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
Crystal clear is the only way to go for a screen protector--matte, even from Power Support, shows the rainbow effect and does make text slightly harder to read.

As a temporary protector, get yourself a page protector, e.g. from Staples. The original iPad fit in it perfectly and provided both clarity and touch responsiveness.

To those who don't use protectors... more power to you, but just wait until you get a scratch and it happens to fall in the middle of the screen! It'll be just like glasses where the anti-scratch or anti-glare coatings wear off-- you'll be driven batty!

Power Support's crystal clear is virtually indistinguishable from the uncovered, unprotected screen, although their iPad protectors are expensive. Another option is one of Switcheasy's cases, which come with free iPad protectors-- and they are nearly as good as PS's apparently.

xraytech
Mar 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
I use Anti-Glare protectors for, DUH, Anti-Glare. Not for protection.

WalledMacGarden
Mar 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
No screen protector on my iPad 2, had it out and about, used it like crazy, let others use it, not even a micro scratch...glass is perfect as day one!

Had a screen protector on my 4s, got tired of it looking so bad after a month, took it off and been very very happy, I use a speck case, and even a few falls on cement and it's still perfect.

I no longer recommend screen protectors for an ipad, iphones maybe if you always put in say a purse, or pocket with sharp objects, or just drop it all the time.

I say go naked.

h1r0ll3r
Mar 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nope. Had screen protector on hand whilst waiting for FedEx to deliver. Still didn't put in on quite right so now need to get more :(

WalledMacGarden
Mar 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
I use Anti-Glare protectors for, DUH, Anti-Glare. Not for protection.

I have yet to try one of those, I really don't care for screen protectors but I might just have to try one, I think the glare causes some eye strain..

boltjames
Mar 18, 2012, 04:32 PM

I'm keeping mine unused in the shrink wrapped box until the iPad 5 comes out. This way, it'll be in perfect condition for the guy I ultimately sell it to on Craigslist.

BJ

bobright
Mar 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Mine is still in the screen protector also use rubber gloves when handling.

u49aa2
Mar 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
!

Daniel97
Mar 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Men's still in plastic .. It cost me 400 I'm not ashamed to take care of it!

My switcheasy will be here tomorrow so I'll remove it from the case then!

brand
Mar 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
This isn't irrational paranoia.

From what the majority says it is.

Stealthipad
Mar 18, 2012, 04:57 PM
Mine is still in the screen protector also use rubber gloves when handling.

When handling what:eek:

capriseyhaze
Mar 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
im just letting mine get filthy lol fingerprints everywhere. just waiting to get my bodyguardz in the mail then i will take care of it. clean it up and keep it finger print free

Adam-Jobs
Mar 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
Yep im with OP. still got plastic on mine till protector comes. I don't make much money so I'd rather go the extra mile to keep my devices pristine!

brand
Mar 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
When handling what:eek:

Could be a fetish. :o

DaveOP
Mar 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
The iPad screen is really hard to scratch. Had 4 total and never used anything on them. My Galaxy Nexus on the other hand got a small scratch on the second day just from being in my pocket. Whatever Apple is doing, they're doing it right.

zigzagg321
Mar 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
I immersed mine in hot candle wax and now that the wax has hardened, my new iPad will never get a scratch on it.

I made sure to use 100% beeswax candles because bees make honey and honey is sweet, so surely the wax from creatures who produce sweet byproducts wouldn't dare hurt my brand new iPad.

Adam-Jobs
Mar 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
Yep im with OP. still got plastic on mine till protector comes. I don't make much money so I'd rather go the extra mile to keep my devices pristine!

Saying this, reading all the people's experiences here with screen protectors has made me rethink whether I should have one. I've already purchased an SGP now though, it be such a hassle returning it to the amazon store.

dmylrea
Mar 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
This isn't irrational paranoia. It's me not wanting to scratch a screen I'll be looking at for the next year. I can still use the device. It's just a thin membrane of plastic.

Plastic on =/= useless.

I bet your furniture in your living room still has the factory plastic on it, too! :D

Just some useful info--this is my 3rd iPad (A Gen1, a Gen2 and now Gen3) and I keep it in a simple neoprene sleeve when I'm not using it, and you cannot tell any of them from new. Glass is not easily scratched (unless a diamond ring gets dragged across it). Even my iPhone 4, after almost 2 years with no screen protection, still has perfect glass.

I, personally, like the oleophobic coating and the ease of cleaning, so any protector would negate that feature for me.

EIGHTYTHREE
Mar 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
The display units in the stores don't even have scratches on them and they're handled daily by all kinds of careless hands. That there ought a let you know the screens are tough. I don't understand what one would do to get a scratch anyway...if you gonna ruin the clarity of the screen with a screen protector than what's the point of getting the retina display. Should just kept or bought the iPad 2

That's also like when people complain about it not being as thin as the other one, yet they still put it in a big ass case...defeats the purpose..

Take the plastic off and enjoy the iPad! Most Ferraris cost over 100K and I wouldn't even put plastic over it.

Bheleu
Mar 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-best-in-screen-protection-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series-coming-soon#comments

Waiting on this to show up for purchase...

dmylrea
Mar 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-best-in-screen-protection-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series-coming-soon#comments

Waiting on this to show up for purchase...

So, does this REPLACE the existing glass, or do you stick the GLAS.t on top of the iPad glass? If the latter, I can already imagine dust and misalignment being major problems!

----------

Gorilla glass folks...Gorilla glass! This stuff is tough and designed to be used! It doesn't scratch easy!

I hadn't read that the new iPad was using Gorilla Glass. Is that what you were implying?

heyyitzmelissa
Mar 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
While it's mostly the case that regular use will not produce scratches, but the discovery of nearly all scratches come as a surprise. We don't know when it happened, and we never did it on purpose. For that reason, the plastic stays on.

brand
Mar 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
The number of times that I have seen someone keep the plastic on their device and dirt and dust get trapped between the device and the plastic producing a sandpaper like effect is ridiculously high. To each their own.

Bheleu
Mar 19, 2012, 07:26 AM
GLAS t goes over existing glass, has an adhesive layer... And yes I bet dust will be harder to contend with on initial stick, so I would use the clean room at work to put it on.

ReallyBigFeet
Mar 19, 2012, 07:28 AM
Never had a screen protector on any of my iPads and never will.

I think some of you would do well to move out of moms basement.

taipan61
Mar 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
to each their own
but i prefer to go naked!
nothing beats the feel of skin on glass!:eek:

donnaw
Mar 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
From what the majority says it is.

Yeah, well I've never been one to care what the 'majority' says. I use a Power Support anti-glare. I dislike twisting and turning etc. to avoid the glare. Plus I like the anti- fingerprint properties. It does me no good if the display is 'awesome, if i can't use my device comfrortably.

Everyone has their own preferences in electronics. I find it rather pretentious for others to tell someone that those preferences are wrong.

fifi77
Mar 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
I've always used an anti-glare screen protector. I'm not so worried about scratches, but the glare is a massive issue for me. I'm not really keen on seeing my face staring back at me when I'm trying to read or watch a film.

Because of the retina display, I thought I'd try not putting the PS anti-glare on at first. Half an hour in my office this morning and the overhead lights were driving me batsh*t crazy, so the PS anti-glare has gone on and now I can actually use the iPad.

If I didn't work in an office that has overhead lights then maybe I wouldn't be so bothered, but your environment can dictate what's best for it.

gamecube117
Mar 19, 2012, 08:05 AM

Yeah this is the same with my friend. She bought a Smart Cover for her iPad 2 and I asked her why did she not buy a screen protector for it. She asked me why, she has the smart cover. She had it for about a year and I use hers all the time at school (I sit beside her). I can say there's no scratches, just major finger prints.

Menel
Mar 19, 2012, 08:10 AM

Dimensions of glass, camera, button didn't change.

Just order the iPad 2 one.

Steelers7510
Mar 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
Honestly, I'm more worried about the aluminum on the back getting dented/scratched from not using a case than I am scratching the screen. I immediately put this (http://www.maroo.com/store/Cases/iPad-Cases/KOE) case on my iPad as soon as I took it out of the box. I'm yet to find a better portfolio style case than this one.

mlynchmob16
Mar 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
I still have my plastic on as well. Waiting patiently for my case to get here! :D

onthecouchagain
Mar 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, on both front and back. Waiting for case delivery.

----------

Actually, I'm worried about how I'll like cases and covers.

This video, in particular, has got me second guessing cases/covers. http://youtu.be/5X37RgKuN_U

It makes me consider keeping the iPad naked...

TroyBoy30
Mar 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
nope, not waiting. I simply used my left over power support crystal for the ipad 2

why would you wait when you get order one now?

can you see it? lol

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll152/troyboy30/IMG_2329.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll152/troyboy30/IMG_2327.jpg

It'sMyPrecious
Mar 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
I found an unopened ipad 1 screen protector in my house. I don't know why I even had it, since I never got an ipad 1. I spent one hour applying it and removing every single bubble, and after I was done and I turned on the screen, I was pretty disappointed that my screen protector had de-retinized my display (well, it made my screen very grainy). So much for cheap old screen protectors.

Anyways, I ordered my new screen protector last weekend and hopefully it'll be here in 3 days.

gmanist1000
Mar 19, 2012, 11:41 AM

Sounds like something my mom would do.

AttilaTheHun
Mar 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
I still have my plastic on as well. Waiting patiently for my case to get here! :D

I still have the plastic on the box did not opened it yet,
don't know what to do?
I have the MBP 17" and the iPhone 4S can't give up of none of them
so what shall I do with this tablet?
really need it?

syclick
Mar 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Jeez. Put it in a case that covers the front and back when you're not using it and don't worry about it.

That's exactly what I did with my iPad2. My kids scratched it up pretty good. :(

MacGurl111
Mar 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
Putting the anti glare film on, wouldn't that make your screen grainy? Defeats the purpose of have a retina display? :confused:

ZipZap
Mar 20, 2012, 05:48 AM
GLAS t goes over existing glass, has an adhesive layer... And yes I bet dust will be harder to contend with on initial stick, so I would use the clean room at work to put it on.

Put it on my iphone. Easy, no dust no issue. Love the feel.

mushed
Mar 20, 2012, 06:15 AM
I had the plastic on for the first two days, then bought a Zagg cover for the iPad2 I don't think the display looks too bad.

AcuraRL
Mar 20, 2012, 06:33 AM

My grandmother always had plastic covers on the sofa and chairs in her living room.

Scarpad
Mar 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
I don't use Protectors on my Ipads, I'm just careful with it, use a case that covers the creeen, and every few days wipe it with a little bit of water and a microfiber cloth, it always looks brand new. I'm about to get rid of my protector on the 4s as well, just be careful withi it. These retina displays are gorgeous why cover them up?

MacGurl111
Mar 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
I don't use Protectors on my Ipads, I'm just careful with it, use a case that covers the creeen, and every few days wipe it with a little bit of water and a microfiber cloth, it always looks brand new. I'm about to get rid of my protector on the 4s as well, just be careful withi it. These retina displays are gorgeous why cover them up?

My daughter is harsh with my ipad... But after reading this and a few other threads, I think for this time I will not use a screen protector. I love the retina am afraid if I put it on it'll ruin it! :D I sold my old ipad to get this retina one!

ghsNick
Mar 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
I still have mine on...haha.
My Lexington should be in tomorrow.