PDA

View Full Version : Does Gumdrop Drop Series case for iPad 2 fit new iPad?

djc6
Mar 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
I have a Gumdrop Drop series case for my iPad 2 - has anyone tried to see if it works with the new iPad?

RichyB
Mar 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
I would like to know this because the new iPad one isn't available at amazon uk yet.

djc6
Mar 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
I didn't get any replies on their facebook wall either:

https://www.facebook.com/gogumdrop

How do i know they aren't packaging the same case and saying its for the new iPad? :)

magmasilk
Mar 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Mine works with not fit issues

mireille
Mar 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
I would like to know as well as there is quite a wait for the new ipad version and the ipad 2 version is readily available.

anthrovisual
Mar 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mine works with not fit issues

Does the integrated screen protector it distort the screen at all?

magmasilk
Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Does the integrated screen protector it distort the screen at all?

very much so ... it isn't a long term solution. Though the screen is completely removable.

manicwinter
Mar 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
I have not tested the fit but I put the screen cover from the iPad 2 version over my iPad 3 and it interferes with the screen image pretty badly. It did not do this on the iPad 2 so hopefully they are changing the screen protector as well as the dimensions.

manicwinter
Mar 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have not tested the fit but I put the screen cover from the iPad 2 version over my iPad 3 and it interferes with the screen image pretty badly. It did not do this on the iPad 2 so hopefully they are changing the screen protector as well as the dimensions.

I just spoke with Gumdrop customer service and they confirmed there are no changes to the product except the packaging so the screen protector will give you that annoying grainy fuzzy look like the Otterbox does.

axledentaldj
Mar 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know whats going on with Gumdrocases.com? They are located in California, but I made an order on the 3/18/2012 14:49PDT time and got the email reciept and on 3/19, saw a pending charge for $59.95 on my credit card and have not yet seen any Fedex tracking info. I've emailed them at their help email addy. I tried calling customer service today and got two automated messages, one about they are on holiday and the second about leave a message with spelled out named, order number or email help@gumdropcases.com and you should hear back from them in 48 hours. I've checked my yahoo.store url and seen no update for shipping info yet. I'm not getting much support back, and if its true thier ipad2 version fits the ipad3, I could have ordered the ipad2 version from Amazon and probably have gotten it faster. Thanks Gumdropcases, your not helping much except quickly to take my $$$. Free FedEx ground shipping code is FREESHIP

Yesturday their website stated 3/19 Black/White Available, but next stock to be in 3/28..something.. Now today its:

Black/Black is backordered until March 30th.

I just wanted to know if my DropTech case made the order in time before they sold out over the 3/16 weekend and if it shipped?

manicwinter
Mar 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know whats going on with Gumdrocases.com? They are located in California, but I made an order on the 3/18/2012 14:49PDT time and got the email reciept and on 3/19, saw a pending charge for $59.95 on my credit card and have not yet seen any Fedex tracking info. I've emailed them at their help email addy. I tried calling customer service today and got two automated messages, one about they are on holiday and the second about leave a message with spelled out named, order number or email help@gumdropcases.com and you should hear back from them in 48 hours. I've checked my yahoo.store url and seen no update for shipping info yet. I'm not getting much support back, and if its true thier ipad2 version fits the ipad3, I could have ordered the ipad2 version from Amazon and probably have gotten it faster. Thanks Gumdropcases, your not helping much except quickly to take my $$$. Free FedEx ground shipping code is FREESHIP

Yesturday their website stated 3/19 Black/White Available, but next stock to be in 3/28..something.. Now today its:

Black/Black is backordered until March 30th.

I just wanted to know if my DropTech case made the order in time before they sold out over the 3/16 weekend and if it shipped?

They take about 24 hours to respond via phone or email. If you want it faster you should probably just cancel your order and buy the iPad 2 version from Amazon. The iPad 2 version is identical except for the words on the box. If you care about how the screen looks with the protector though you should not buy one at all until they re-engineer the screen protector.

axledentaldj
Mar 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm ok with the screen, it has to a good case for a 2 year old todler and for myself. I just got a gumdropcases.com email that my case shipped and I have a tracking number!! Yes!!! My wife has the Otterbox Defender for her ipad3, so the screen fuzzyness isn't that bad, she said she has gotten used to it. Kinda looks I sweated on the inside of the screen and on top of the ipads screen and then did a poor job wiping it off.

jamesoja
Mar 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
I have a Gumdrop Drop series case for my iPad 2 - has anyone tried to see if it works with the new iPad?

My military edition that I used for my iPad2 does not fit. I am unable to get the interior case to close. I sure hope they made some adjustments. Delivery via FedEx is scheduled for 3/26.

manicwinter
Mar 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
My military edition that I used for my iPad2 does not fit. I am unable to get the interior case to close. I sure hope they made some adjustments. Delivery via FedEx is scheduled for 3/26.

Gumdrop told me they did not make any changes - in fact they sent me an iPad 2 case when I ordered an iPad 3 case because there was no difference. It seems to fit just fine - there's just the issue with the screen protector causing grainy distortion.

jamesoja
Mar 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
Gumdrop told me they did not make any changes - in fact they sent me an iPad 2 case when I ordered an iPad 3 case because there was no difference. It seems to fit just fine - there's just the issue with the screen protector causing grainy distortion.

On my iPad 2, the gumdrop case snaps closed, when I try on the "new" iPad, I am unable to get it anywhere near closing. I wonder if they changed production late2011/early2012?

The grainy distortion is a disaster, I wonder if that is why they say the replacement screen is only for iPad2. http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-series-ipad-2-replacement-screen.html

Hopefully they have something in the works!

mireille
Mar 24, 2012, 11:59 AM

From Amazon reviews (http://www.amazon.com/Gumdrop-Drop-Series-Black-Black-DS-IPAD2-BLK-BLK-V2/product-reviews/B004PYD950/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending)
*We bought our first iPad2 last summer.. put walmart's finest portfolio case on it (should have known better, being a faithful otterbox consumer for my smartphones)..
*Had to get our special needs daughter her own iPad2 after realizing the endless benefits/possibilities!
*Ottetbox, BAD REVIEWS!! Will still trust them with my phones though..
*Bought her the Pink (iPad2) gumdrop case..
*Great protection/style/look!!! She Drops it ALL the time, NOT 1 ISSUE!!
*On 3-10-12, picked up OUR iPad2 only to find that 2 of the corners must had met the ceramic tile!! Portfolio case left corners somewhat exposed..
*Decided not to get glass replaced.. ($279 per Apple) luckily cracks in glass do not leave the black border.. (Leaving screen protector on to act as red-neck duct tape!!)
*Bought the red/black (iPad2) gumdrop case.. Again, PERFECT CASE, PERFECT FIX!!
*Instantly became the other kids' iPad2!! (dad knew 3rd gen coming soon!!)
*Got 3rd gen..
*Tried our existing case on it, snug yet PERFECT FIT!!
*Ordered black/black (iPad2) gumdrop case..
*Received 3-23-12..
*Again, FITS (iPad3/3rd gen/New/whatever) and FITS GREAT!!
*Don't waste your time waiting on (iPad3) version gumdrop case to be in stock.. I presume that they aren't going to change anything on the new case, except the model# !!
*Order this one, protect that expensive appliance before your first DROP!!

*Thank you to reviewers.. I always utilize them.. Trying to get better about leaving MY OWN review.. Try to be short and sweet..
This case works well on the new iPad (aka3). I had the Otter case for the first generation device and always thought it too bulky.
Well, I finally got the "NEW" Ipad(Really 3). Well, I HAD to "clothe" it and make sure that it was sufficiently protected! I had bought my daughter's family the Gumdrop Tech Series Case in white for their Ipad 2 since they have a 16mo. old & a six y/o.. This case is a tank!! It REALLY handles ANY abuse that a toddler can do to it!! So, I went to Amazon to see if they had the "PINK" available. They did. But, my main question was, "Will it fit the 'NEW' Ipad"? Thanks to some recent reviews, my question was answered. YES, IT FIT'S THE "NEW"(3) IPAD!!! It fit's like "painted on jeans" it's SOOOOO tight-fitting!!! But, that's fine with me. This model case comes in just two(2) pieces, with the screen protector integrated into the hard shell piece (check out my pictures/notes). I bought the Boxwave Crystal Clear Anti-Fingerprint screen protector (from Amazon) to put on the Ipad screen directly, to add a FIRST layer of protection UNDER the hard shell screen protector. My new "baby" can't have enough protection! He, he! The pink color is GORGEOUS!! See the pics that I provided. :-)
You can CHOOSE to wait a MONTH or more for Gumdrop's new Ipad 3 case to come out. OR, buy this one for the Ipad 2. I'm just glad that I didn't have a manicure BEFORE I put this case on, b/c it would have ruined it! GRRR! The rubber outer case is hard to get on due to the 1.4mm thickness of the "NEW" Ipad, but, I'm in my 50s and managed!
Thanks, ZZ CELL for the super fast delivery!

P.S. I, also bought the ARKON PORTABLE FOLD-UP STAND to hold my Ipad. The Gumdrop case w/Ipad sits perfectly on it! See my pictures.

jamesoja
Mar 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
mireille- I appreciate your assistance. I believe the edition I have must be different then the one being manufactured today. When disassembled my case has 4 pieces. The newer version, according to your attached Amazon review have only 2?

"This model case comes in just two(2) pieces, with the screen protector integrated into the hard shell piece..."

I totally agree it is a tight fit on my iPad2, I too like the other users have additional protection on my iPad in the case. I have a Power Support protector on the front with iCarbon skin on the back then placed in the Gumdrop.

mireille
Mar 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
mireille- I appreciate your assistance. I believe the edition I have must be different then the one being manufactured today. When disassembled my case has 4 pieces. The newer version, according to your attached Amazon review have only 2?

"This model case comes in just two(2) pieces, with the screen protector integrated into the hard shell piece..."

I totally agree it is a tight fit on my iPad2, I too like the other users have additional protection on my iPad in the case. I have a Power Support protector on the front with iCarbon skin on the back then placed in the Gumdrop.

ahh, yes, then that would be a problem if it were the older version that came in pieces (I believe it came with a hard shell outer cover for the back of the pad?).

Yes, the current version only contains two pieces, the integrated screen protector in the front hard shell piece and the silicon cover for the back of the iPad. I do remember emailing about the recent version of the drop tech case for the iPad 2 and was told that the 2-piece version offered the same level of protection while removing some of the bulk of the 4-piece version.

Supacali
Mar 26, 2012, 03:57 AM
very much so ... it isn't a long term solution. Though the screen is completely removable.

I want to just use a PS screen protector and remove the built in screen piece of the gumdrop, does it have any gap between the inner plastic layer and the ipad screen? Can somebody who uses the gumdrop on the ipad 3 and took off the built-in one relate their observation?

oslomac
Apr 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Never mind, guess this should be posted as a new topic thread.