Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It's been a year since we first saw the Smart Cover and I'm still seeing practically a 50:50 split for and against the leather Smart Cover. Some say it's fantastic, others complain about dye rub off and wear. I'm thinking the red leather one to go with my new (3rd gen) white iPad. Yay or nay?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I am kinda in the same quandary. I have the regular smart cover and it pretty worn. I was thinking leather this time. Would be interested in some feedback. I am more interested in the navy, red is a bit much.

nd3eb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I have the red smart cover and like it very much. I used to have the green smart cover but when I upgraded to the new iPad I decided to get a new one. I think the leather smart covers have a better build quality. It is quite a bit more money but so far im pretty happy with my decision.

marzxbarz

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
The leather smart cover is pretty nice but IMO not worth the original price. I was able to snag a slightly used black one for $9 and wouldn't pay more than $40 for one of these. Yes, the dye on the leather does wear off but it's not that easy. The only time my dye rubbed off was when I applied some leather cleaner/conditioner.

My verdict would be yay if you can snag one for 40..maybe 50. The leather is nice and soft but it's not worth THAT much.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I say just try it. I had the pink cover for iPad 2 but decided to try black leather for the new iPad. So far I'm very happy with it, but I haven't had it long enough yet to see any wear or dye rubbing off. Only time will tell, but I'm not too worried about it. If it's something you really want, then just try it out and see for yourself. I think the red would look great with your white iPad!

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Yay!, I found a Genuine Apple Navy Leather Smart Cover on Ebay from a dealer I've used before for $45, plus expedited shipping for $5.00.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Yay!, I found a Genuine Apple Navy Leather Smart Cover on Ebay from a dealer I've used before for $45, plus expedited shipping for $5.00.

Hopefully, the eBay seller is selling the latest model number of the Apple Smart Cover. Late last year, Apple made a running model number change to all of their Smart Covers. Folks are finding that older, original model Smart Covers don't necessarily work with the iPad 3's sleep/wake sensor.

The change that Apple made to the Smart Cover was to make sure that the little round magnet that activates the sleep/wake sensor is oriented with the correct polarity in the direction needed for the iPad 3. Click the link in my signature for more information.

Mark

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I have original smart cover from apple and it works with iPad 3. No issues. I have red one and black one for my iPad 2 and 3.

I have cancelled all of my 3rd party cases because magnet might or might not work. Most of them are saying they do not work.

ValentinoV

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
I'm thinking about buying the red leather version. I have an I carbons white back skin, will the red bleed onto the skin?

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I got a genuine black leather smart cover used for $20 with only minimal signs of use/wear. At that price, it's a fantastic cover. I would neve pay $70 for it though.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Hopefully, the eBay seller is selling the latest model number of the Apple Smart Cover. Late last year, Apple made a running model number change to all of their Smart Covers. Folks are finding that older, original model Smart Covers don't necessarily work with the iPad 3's sleep/wake sensor.

Thanks Mark, I lucked out and this case works just fine in terms of the auto on and off. I appreciate the info and the testing you did to get to the bottom of this.

For the record ZooGue which is another case I've used doesn't work any longer with the 3rd gen iPad. I contacted them, they say they are looking at solutions, but have actually stopped production on their ZooGue cases to insure they get the polarity right in their future releases. Once I reported t his to them with a link to your findings. Their web site showed no stock, so they took it seriously.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I got the smart cover today! It looks good, but I'm leaving it in the packaging until the iPad actually arrives in about a week. Time will tell whether that hot-looking (at least for now) red leather was money well spent, as well as the iPad too for that matter...

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I bought a leather one in tan to show off the aging process. Kind of like worn-in blue jeans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.