PDA

View Full Version : Radeon X800 XT power connection question

Jethryn Freyman
Mar 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
So, I'm close to upgrading my June 2004 Power Mac G5 from a Radeon 9600 XT to a Radeon X800 XT.

Thing is, I've heard that some of the more power hungry graphics cards require an extra power cable to connect the card directly to the power supply, or something to do with connecting it to an optical drive power supply - or something.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here?

INSURGENCYmusic
Mar 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
So, I'm close to upgrading my June 2004 Power Mac G5 from a Radeon 9600 XT to a Radeon X800 XT.

Thing is, I've heard that some of the more power hungry graphics cards require an extra power cable to connect the card directly to the power supply, or something to do with connecting it to an optical drive power supply - or something.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here?

I have an x800 xt for my g5 but I never heard of that. I can't imagine that being the case.

G5 Mac Daddy
Mar 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
I put an nvidia 7800gt in my G5 tower and all you have to do is use a molex connector to just power off the optical drive. Its very simple really.

Jethryn Freyman
Mar 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
Yep turns out it was easy, the card came with a molex cable to piggyback off the optical drive's power. Awesome card :)