PDA

View Full Version : Stream screen from Intel mac to PowerBook?

absynthetic
Mar 19, 2012, 01:31 AM
I've got a Mac Pro and a PowerBook. What I want to do is play netflix on my Mac Pro and stream the screen over my wireless network to my PowerBook, which is hooked up via display port to my tv in the living room so that I can watch it on there (Netflix isn't compatible with PowerBooks, as most of you know).

Is this possible?!

kylera
Mar 19, 2012, 01:54 AM
I've got a Mac Pro and a PowerBook. What I want to do is play netflix on my Mac Pro and stream the screen over my wireless network to my PowerBook, which is hooked up via display port to my tv in the living room so that I can watch it on there (Netflix isn't compatible with PowerBooks, as most of you know).

Is this possible?!

Possible, yes. Feasible? I doubt it. You would have to remote access the Pro, and remote accessed devices are rarely speedy due to latency issues.

surroundfan
Mar 19, 2012, 03:14 AM
If you're running Leopard, screen sharing should work, but the results may be flickery (they are if I share the screen on my iMac G4) and it will be much, much better if you drop $99 on an AppleTV (proper HD, 5.1, nice UI, etc)...

Pantomimehorse
Mar 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
I have the same problem not being able to use Netflix on my G5, is there a hack to get sliverlight working at all?

absynthetic
Mar 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
Leopard screen sharing will be fast enough on a PowerBook 17in 1Ghz with 512MB RAM?

----------

And no, there's no silverlight hack. Even the open source guys seem to have abandoned the pre-Intel platform.

GermanyChris
Mar 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm screen sharing right now as well as sharing files between an '10 MacBook and my G5..

The only issue is the screen is no bigger than the original.