PDA

View Full Version : Targus acknolwedged issues with magnets (sleep/wake feature)

RedlegsFan
Mar 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
I used the chat feature today on Targus' website and explained the problem I was having. They acknowledged that it was an issue that they found out about on Friday. They are going to be sending me a replacement that has been tested. I am very happy with that solution! The support assistant could not provide me with a time frame but did indicate it should not take long.

gowanis
Mar 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

what about the fact that the tray is designed for iPad 2 thickness? I can live with the magnet issue, but the imperfect fit in the tray is really bugging me

RedlegsFan
Mar 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

what about the fact that the tray is designed for iPad 2 thickness? I can live with the magnet issue, but the imperfect fit in the tray is really bugging me

Mine fits perfectly fine, very tight and snug.

gowanis
Mar 19, 2012, 09:57 AM

which Targus do you have? mine is the Versavu, and the fit is not perfect

glen e
Mar 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
I also have no issue with that. I have two of the new Targus cases and both fit perfectly

JoJoCal19
Mar 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have a Targus Slim Case and the fit is perfect. My magnet issue doesn't work though so I'm waiting on live chat to see if they will send me a new case and what timeframe we're looking at. Debating on sending it back and getting a Saddleback case.

DuckSoup
Mar 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
I also have no issue with that. I have two of the new Targus cases and both fit perfectly

You may think it fits perfect, but I suspect it does not.

A coworker here has an iPad 2 with the VersaVu for iPad 2.

We JUST swapped iPads and tried them in each others case.

Both iPads fit exactly the same in each VersaVu as does his, and his is a better fit in both. Uniform depth all around, uniform fit all around the edges. Mine shows the 0.8mm difference in both cases. There is NO doubt that in these two cases (mine advertized as for 3rd gen) have the exact same holder.

Also, for wat it's worth, the auto wake/sleep feature did not work with my iPad in either case, and his iPad 2 did not work in my case. Only his iPad 2 worked in his case.

Basically, the cases they shipped for 2nd and 3rd gen are identical except for the magnet placement and/or polarity.

Mike

glen e
Mar 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
You may think it fits perfect, but I suspect it does not.

A coworker here has an iPad 2 with the VersaVu for iPad 2.

We JUST swapped iPads and tried them in each others case.

Both iPads fit exactly the same in each VersaVu as does his, and his is a better fit in both. Uniform depth all around, uniform fit all around the edges. Mine shows the 0.8mm difference in both cases. There is NO doubt that in these two cases (mine advertized as for 3rd gen) have the exact same holder.

Also, for wat it's worth, the auto wake/sleep feature did not work with my iPad in either case, and his iPad 2 did not work in my case. Only his iPad 2 worked in his case.

Basically, the cases they shipped for 2nd and 3rd gen are identical except for the magnet placement and/or polarity.

Mike
This is not my first rodeo. I love it when people tell me that stuff that I own doesn't fit perfectly .....I own at least 25 cases .....this fits perfectly. This is a targus slim case.

Built
Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
I used the chat feature today on Targus' website and explained the problem I was having. They acknowledged that it was an issue that they found out about on Friday. They are going to be sending me a replacement that has been tested. I am very happy with that solution! The support assistant could not provide me with a time frame but did indicate it should not take long.

Awesome customer support from Targus. Just got off the phone with the Targus rep...emailed her my receipt...and as soon as the new cases (with the magnetic issue resolved) are available, they will begin sending them out...Could be as little as two weeks or as long as 6-8 weeks...

Brandon Heat
Mar 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mine fits perfectly snug and the magnet works too..

gowanis
Mar 19, 2012, 11:10 AM

please clarify which Targus you have. seems like the slim case fits well, but the Versavu has issues?

RedlegsFan
Mar 19, 2012, 11:26 AM

please clarify which Targus you have. seems like the slim case fits well, but the Versavu has issues?

Sorry I should have clarified this in the thread title. But I have the Slim case

mikejfrd
Mar 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
I bought a gray slim case at BB on the 16th and the auto on/off doesn't work. I contacted Targus today and they are sending me a new one. Can't really ask for anything more than that. Everything else with the case works great. Fit is perfect on mine.

I'll update when my replacement arrives, but so far I have to give their customer service two thumbs up.

emx620
Mar 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
I've been having the magnet issue with the Targus slim case. I just called Targus...they acknowledged the issue, took my information, and said they would mail a replacement out within 6-8 weeks.

Providing I get a new one in the mail that works correctly, I will be happy with Targus, and their product.

andy603
Mar 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
can you clarify...I'm on chat hold with Targus at number 17 in queue :(

Even though you bought it at BB, targus is sending you one directly? I bought on Amazon and my concern is knowing when to re-order beause it will likely be difficult to know if its the 'new' new case or the old new case :)

thanks

I bought a gray slim case at BB on the 16th and the auto on/off doesn't work. I contacted Targus today and they are sending me a new one. Can't really ask for anything more than that. Everything else with the case works great. Fit is perfect on mine.

I'll update when my replacement arrives, but so far I have to give their customer service two thumbs up.

mikejfrd
Mar 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
can you clarify...I'm on chat hold with Targus at number 17 in queue :(

Even though you bought it at BB, targus is sending you one directly? I bought on Amazon and my concern is knowing when to re-order beause it will likely be difficult to know if its the 'new' new case or the old new case :)

thanks

I was 27 in line. Took about 15 minutes.

They didn't ask where I purchased it from, just asked for a copy of the sales receipt and said they would send a replacement one out with no need for me to send this one back. We'll see.

Colgin
Mar 19, 2012, 12:21 PM

They didn't ask where I purchased it from, just asked for a copy of the sales receipt and said they would send a replacement one out with no need for me to send this one back. We'll see.

I also waited in line but when my number finally came up after about 20 minutes, I received a message that no operators were available and to try again later.:mad:

andy603
Mar 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
thanks..got down to number 1 in queue and they kicked me out! Back at 16....maybe I shouldn't have told them ahead of time what my subject was! Thx for the info..I'll post with my result.

mikejfrd
Mar 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
thanks..got down to number 1 in queue and they kicked me out! Back at 16....maybe I shouldn't have told them ahead of time what my subject was! Thx for the info..I'll post with my result.

Yeah I wrote it in the subject but they asked me again what the issue was. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Btw if your using your iPad you cannot attach the receipt to the chat box like they're going to ask you to. They emailed me and had me respond to it with the receipt attached instead.

Built
Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
I tried live chat but decided to call while I was on hold with Live Chat...When I called, I was placed in the queue but a rep came on the phone very quickly...

They are sending out a new Versavu to me as soon as the new cases (with working magnets) come in...There will be no need to send back the old case.

All I had to do was email them my receipt...which I did while the rep was on the phone...

andy603
Mar 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
OMG I'm going to scream...I've now been kicked out of the queue twice after a total of 48 min waiting....this company pisses me off beyond belief. I'll try again... Thanks to all for posting their experience...which seems better than mine so far...

I did change the Subject this time to simply "question"...maybe they'll answer the chat this time!

Built
Mar 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
OMG I'm going to scream...I've now been kicked out of the queue twice after a total of 48 min waiting....this company pisses me off beyond belief. I'll try again... Thanks to all for posting their experience...which seems better than mine so far...

I did change the Subject this time to simply "question"...maybe they'll answer the chat this time!

Try calling...The very first time I tried live chat I was "kicked out" after waiting 15 minutes...The second time I tried live chat, I called at the same time...I wasn't going to take any chances again...

andy603
Mar 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
finally succeeded...via email...Didn't want to risk calling since that typically is worst method...got response within an hour indicating/admitting the problem and offering to replace at no charge and NOT needing my current one back. Unfortunately, they claim it will take 6-8 weeks! Not sure what I want to do but this case is the only one so far that I like that has a full size base to rest my ipad on while I sit on couch and read/watch/consume...I have the ipad2 version and really like it....Do not like the ones that other vendors have that wrap the leather or pleater around the bezel...looks like it could collect alot of schmutz.

Colgin
Mar 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
finally succeeded...via email...Didn't want to risk calling since that typically is worst method...got response within an hour indicating/admitting the problem and offering to replace at no charge and NOT needing my current one back. Unfortunately, they claim it will take 6-8 weeks! Not sure what I want to do but this case is the only one so far that I like that has a full size base to rest my ipad on while I sit on couch and read/watch/consume...I have the ipad2 version and really like it....Do not like the ones that other vendors have that wrap the leather or pleater around the bezel...looks like it could collect alot of schmutz.

Which e-mail address did you use. I don't see one for Customer Service on the website. I think I am going to go this route as well.

stockcerts
Mar 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
My Targus Slim Case just arrived. I was expecting to have problems with it after reading all the posts, but so far it works like a charm. I bought the Indigo color and I'm very happy with my choice.

andy603
Mar 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
ha..I had the same problem...you have to be logged in to their website first then go to your account settings then 'ask a question'...you will notice that ipad covers are not an option on the drop down list for some crazy reason...so just select other....

Which e-mail address did you use. I don't see one for Customer Service on the website. I think I am going to go this route as well.

mikejfrd
Mar 19, 2012, 04:33 PM

I'm just going to use this one until the new one comes in. I'm sure that's why they're not requiring us to return the defective one. The case still works fine, I can live without the auto on/off until my replacement comes.

Colgin
Mar 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm just going to use this one until the new one comes in. I'm sure that's why they're not requiring us to return the defective one. The case still works fine, I can live without the auto on/off until my replacement comes.

I got through to customer service online and they gave me the information for sending in a copy of my receipt and said I would get a fixed case in 6-8 weeks. Given that, I will probably keep this as well and then replace with the updated case when it is available.

aucuba11527
Mar 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Colgin;14566689]I got through to customer service online and they gave me the information for sending in a copy of my receipt and said I would get a fixed case in 6-8 weeks. Given that, I will probably keep this as well and then replace with the updated case when it is available.[/QUOTE\

I received an email from Targus support today following up from a live chat session last Friday. Same information as everyone else has. Basically they are asking for where bought, copy of receipt and telephone contact number. Also confirms no need to return the old one. Issue I have is I returned mine to BB on Saturday. Since they are not requesting a return should I still be OK to put in the claim. Only difference here I suppose is I will not have the old one they will

HDJulie
Mar 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
Called them, gave them my information, sent them a copy of the receipt. Will wait for the new case & then give the old one to my husband for his (my old) iPad 2.

N23
Mar 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
I received my Vuscape today from Amazon and it works perfectly.

ninaco
Mar 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
I've got one of the few Targus Slim Cases that seems to be working fine. No complaints with the fit either.

This morning, I gave the Targus a bit of a test. The iPad in the Targus case slipped from my hand and landed on the wooden window seat in my living room. Thank goodness the iPad was in the case. No damage done.

GSF
Mar 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
I had great customer service from Targus there suppose send a replacement case in about 6-8 weeks! It was plain and simple just send them a copy of receipt or invoice and give them some information. Nice that they let us keep the old one till new one arrives! Great job Targus!!!

MickeyLynn
Mar 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
I got the new slim case and I love it, bummer the magnets don't work. I gave Targus a call and they were awesome! Not only are they letting me keep the one I have so my iPad is safe but they're sending me a new one (just as everyone said) and they said I could pick out any color I want. I'm getting a nice bright red one, Best Buy only had grey. Sweet!

mikejfrd
Apr 2, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just received my replacement today and it works great!! I'm extremely impressed with how Targus handled everything!! :D

gowanis
Apr 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
did they also tweak the size of the tray that holds the iPad? in addition to the magnets not working, my device did not fit properly. seemed to fit iPad 2.

QuantumMan
Apr 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
I received my replacement case today and it works perfectly. Very impressed with how quickly they sent it out, way faster than the 6-8 weeks I was quoted, more like 1.5 weeks. Will definitely buy from them in the future. Way to go Targus! :)

DuckSoup
Apr 2, 2012, 02:25 PM
did they also tweak the size of the tray that holds the iPad? in addition to the magnets not working, my device did not fit properly. seemed to fit iPad 2.

I was wondering the same thing. (Haven't gotten my replacement VersaVu yet. They DID say 6-8 weeks, but I am counting on sooner)

Mike

----------

I received my replacement case today and it works perfectly. Very impressed with how quickly they sent it out, way faster than the 6-8 weeks I was quoted, more like 1.5 weeks. Will definitely buy from them in the future. Way to go Targus! :)

Which case? Slim? VersaVu?

Mike

QuantumMan
Apr 2, 2012, 02:28 PM
I was wondering the same thing. (Haven't gotten my replacement VersaVu yet. They DID say 6-8 weeks, but I am counting on sooner)

Mike

----------

Which case? Slim? VersaVu?

Mike

This was the Slim case.

Reimer
Apr 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I could live without the sleep/wake feature. I think it's a decent case even without it.

But I'm quite impressed with the customer service. I don't know if it's the same deal in the States but calling the Canadian customer service number was painless. I didn't even have to deal with "Press 1 for English". I was instantly connected to a live rep.

Just have to send in a scan of my receipt now. I was told it was back ordered 6-8 weeks though.