Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I have been trying out several apps and websites to try and determine which ones show the highest quality image. I have a 25mb down/ 3mb up cable internet that I used for the test. Since none of them specifically list how high they go in resolution you have to judge by looking at it. Here are the results.

Highest quality image streaming tv/movie apps.

1st place: NBC app. By far the best image. Appears to be either 720p or 1080p
2nd place: ABC app. Even though the app has been updated to retina, the actual streaming of shows appears to be between 480 and 720p.
3rd place: Netflix. Sadly, watching even animated movies and tv shows will have jagged lines due to resolution. Appears to be 480p.

I haven't had the chance to test the hulu plus app as I don't currently have a subscription. Anyone who does please post the results.

Highest quality website streaming

1st place: Apple. Ironically the only video that demonstrates the true beauty of the iPad streaming videos is Apple's own website. 1080p
2nd place: Youtube. The html5 mobile website does not allow you to set preference of resolution but instead uses an algorithm to determine resolution according to your internet speed. Appears to be between 720p and 1080p.
3rd place: Vimeo. Their mobile html5 streaming appears to be maxxed at 720p compared to their desktop site which does provide full 1080p streaming.

Please feel free to add your own considerations and any changes we should make to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.