Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BESLC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I would appreciate any recommendations for a good earphone. I am currently using Klipsch S4i,which is okay. To my ear the Klipsch seems to lack good midrange.

Thanks for your thoughts.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I use the Klipsh S4 and also find the mids somewhat lacking. No ideas though. Spent enough on them I'm kinda stuck with them....lol.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Monster beats tour with control talk. I know people have been complaining of fitment issues so I ordered a set of comply foam replacement buds and they are perfect.

Sharkoid

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Monster beats tour with control talk. I know people have been complaining of fitment issues so I ordered a set of comply foam replacement buds and they are perfect.

Any real difference between the 99$ model? Was thinking about picking up a pair of those ear buds.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Any real difference between the 99$ model? Was thinking about picking up a pair of those ear buds.

Didn't try the diddy beats so can't say about sound quality. But I believe the 99 version doesn't have the volume / Siri / control talk toggle switch. As for appearance I greatly prefer the tour's sturdier ear piece and flat fettuccini like wires more than diddy.

Only complain I have for the tour beats are a. The buds they come with didn't fit me well ( check out comply foam if this is the case for you) and b. the microphone is pretty sensitive have to place it closer to your mouth when talkin on phone if in a noisy area.

Other than that they've been great and aesthetically IMO they are the best.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
What are you looking for?

Not sure if this helps but I'll share some of my experiences. I have tried many different headphones such as Dr. Dre Beats, Shure SE315's, Etymotic HF5. I am currently using the Klipsch S4i' also. I agree they are a bit hollow on the midrange but I like the short cord and controls. The Etymotic HF5's sounded pretty good but after breaking two pairs, I resigned to the fact they are pretty flimsy. Dr. Dre Beats are really durable and have a strong bass but I didn't find them very accurate. Good beater phones. Shures were ok but I didn't like the fit me well plus the cord was waay too long. For sonic accuracy, I absolutely treasure my Etymotic 4Ps however be aware, they are a bit shy on bass. I treat then like studio monitiors. They expose sounds and passages that many headphones don't pick up. I really love them expecially the way they seal out the noise. They are the one's I pack when I am on a plane and want to immerse myself in music. They are unbelievabley awesome when you pair them up with an amp even a small one like the Fiio E1. Also they do not have an mic or controls.

Last edited:

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Klipsch S4I's are the best hands down compared to your average 300 dollar earphones. After S4I any other headphones are just plain disappointing. I spent a hundreds trying to find better headphones and always keep coming back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.