PDA

View Full Version : speed performance lion vs ml ?

UKBeast
Mar 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
I am curious about ml's performance on MBP 2010 on machine 2.4 c2d, 4gb ram and 128gb apple ssd.

I am currently using lion and it is hard to say i am happy with overall performance of lion when i compare it with sl. I was getting much better user experience and speed with sl.

is ml gonna bring sl performance to my machine ?

chevalier433
May 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
I am curious about ml's performance on MBP 2010 on machine 2.4 c2d, 4gb ram and 128gb apple ssd.

I am currently using lion and it is hard to say i am happy with overall performance of lion when i compare it with sl. I was getting much better user experience and speed with sl.

is ml gonna bring sl performance to my machine ?

We will know when ML its released

haravikk
May 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
A lot of reports so far have been very subjective with regards to how quickly Mountain Lion stars up compared to Lion.

With Resume disabled (or turned off for most apps), Lion is very fast to start-up and shutdown on SSD's, and since Mountain Lion makes it a bit easier to prevent Resume on shutdown/restart then that's going to help of course.

Lion seemed to break more of the OS into smaller on-demand daemons compared to Snow Leopard, which also made things a little bit faster since it means less stuff being loaded at start-up, particularly on SSD's, but it's not clear to what extent Mountain Lion has continued that trend, but it might help to speed things up a little further if they have.

New graphics handling seems to have sped up the user-interface again, along the same kind of lines as the Quartz set of technologies though probably not to the same degree. So while the system won't be any faster in practise, it may be a little bit more responsive within native apps. I think the OpenGL version is also being updated?

So it's lots of little things that may add up, I'd expect to see the OS itself feeling a bit faster, particularly on a machine with an SSD as the system disk, but otherwise it doesn't seem like Mountain Lion is going to boost performance much beyond that. That said, I'm not familiar with even a fraction of the new APIs, so it's possible that as apps integrate all the new features they may improve performance over time.