PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Video from iPad to AppleTV

thatoneguy82
Mar 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
So, I have an AppleTV (3rd generation) and an iPad (64b, VZW, 3rd gen). I want to use the HBO GO app and have it go through my TV/AppleTV instead of just staying on my iPad. I used the Airplay function but only the sound went through, but the video was still on my iPad. I'm not really familiar with Airplay, so I'm just assuming what it's functions are.

I know there's a cable connection for it, but I'm looking for an alternative. I'd rather not leave my iPad connected to my TV every time I watch a show on HBO GO.

patrickj
Mar 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the lack of AirPlay video with that app is an HBO policy / restriction. There are plenty of apps that have video content, or are all video content, that will work just fine (audio and video) on the Apple TV.

You can always give it a try with the built-in YouTube app to verify that AirPlay video is working OK in general.

ohio.emt
Mar 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
Try using the mirror function, if regular airplay is restricted.

thatoneguy82
Mar 21, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'm pretty sure the lack of AirPlay video with that app is an HBO policy / restriction. There are plenty of apps that have video content, or are all video content, that will work just fine (audio and video) on the Apple TV.

You can always give it a try with the built-in YouTube app to verify that AirPlay video is working OK in general.

Yeah, it could be some sort of HBO restriction. It's going to be difficult and not enjoyable to watch TV series on there. I may have to "lose" my iPad momentarily and succumb to the physical hdmi connector and hope that even that works.

Try using the mirror function, if regular airplay is restricted.

Where is that? In the app or the iPad itself or the ATV?

ohio.emt
May 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Sorry it took way to long to get back to this thread, hopefully you found it. If not its located on the quick change bar (or what ever its called) when you double tap home, just swipe the bar to the right.