Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Which do you think is better for note-taking and drawing that requires some precision?

It seems the Jot Pro is designed to be as precise as possible given the constraints of the iPad, but I'm not sure if I will like the plastic disc.

Considering the iFaraday Artist or RxII -- not sure if it's worth paying extra for the latter

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I would like to know which stlylus is good to use as well. I mainly want to buy one to use with Draw Something.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
My answer really boils down to "what App are you using?"

Here's my rationale:

While I personally prefer the precision of the Jot Pro for handwriting, this is because I don't typically use the "Zoom" function prevalent in many note-taking apps. Zoom blows up the input portion of the screen so you can write with larger strokes and your handwriting is placed in smaller typeface on the blank sheet of epaper. If you use Zoom for your input, you can actually write quite legibly and fairly well with ANY stylus. If you don't, sometimes the large nib on the stylus actually gets in the way of seeing what you are writing and that bothers me personally. But with Zoom, I write pretty well with my Bamboo stylus. Without it...Jot Pro is my preferred choice.

Drawing is not Jot Pro's forte. I prefer a normal stylus for this.

AcuraRL

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
It seems the Jot Pro is designed to be as precise as possible given the constraints of the iPad, but I'm not sure if I will like the plastic disc.
Help me understand....

What's to like or dislike about the plastic disc?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Help me understand....

What's to like or dislike about the plastic disc?

I've never used one, and it's less like a normal pen, so I'm not sure how comfortable it is to write with one while keeping a disc flat on the screen

AcuraRL

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I've never used one, and it's less like a normal pen, so I'm not sure how comfortable it is to write with one while keeping a disc flat on the screen

There's nothing you need to do to keep the disc flat on the screen. All you have to do is write like you would on a piece of paper.

Boyiee

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
After a ton of googling and reading forums i narrowed down my choices to the ifaraday rx2, the bamboo Wacom and the jot pro.

I ended up ordering the rx2 because it seemed more people were happier for handwriting with the rx2 over the jot pro, and that both were better than the bamboo. It'll be here in a few days and ill let you know how it goes. I'll be using it to take notes with notesplus, and I will be doing a lot of handwriting.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
My answer really boils down to "what App are you using?"

Here's my rationale:

While I personally prefer the precision of the Jot Pro for handwriting, this is because I don't typically use the "Zoom" function prevalent in many note-taking apps. Zoom blows up the input portion of the screen so you can write with larger strokes and your handwriting is placed in smaller typeface on the blank sheet of epaper. If you use Zoom for your input, you can actually write quite legibly and fairly well with ANY stylus. If you don't, sometimes the large nib on the stylus actually gets in the way of seeing what you are writing and that bothers me personally. But with Zoom, I write pretty well with my Bamboo stylus. Without it...Jot Pro is my preferred choice.

Drawing is not Jot Pro's forte. I prefer a normal stylus for this.

What apps do you use? I've never seen that functionality in the, admittedly few, apps I've tried and it sounds amazing.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
What apps do you use? I've never seen that functionality in the, admittedly few, apps I've tried and it sounds amazing.

Noteability
Notes Plus
NoteTaker HD
Noteshelf

I'm sure there are others but these are the four I know for sure have this feature. Very handy and almost a must when using a thicker stylus for note-taking purposes or your handwriting looks like it was done with a crayon.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Got my Jot today and I love it. It's great with noteshelf. I've used regular rubber styli before and this is much better. Feels great in the hand and the aluminum is very pretty. I got it in red, love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.