Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Has anyone noticed that messages received via iMessage are being delayed by around 1-6 hours when being pushed across your other iOS devices?

I've had conversations with someone else via iPad to iPad which have been fine. But messages which are being pushed across to my iPhone have experienced delays of around 6 hours.

Likewise, my friend used his iPad to send messages to my iPhone, while the iPad had no connection to Wi-Fi. The iPhone received the messages fine, but when you connect the iPad back to Wi-Fi, it starts showing up messages that you have read on your iPhone in 'real-time' mode i.e. you can see your friend typing away each subsequent message even though you have already read them. It should really be pushing the read messages to the other iOS device(s) in 'bulk'.

I believe this is a problem with the new iOS 5.1 update.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Yes I had this happen. I was getting them on my iMac but not on my phone. But when I replied on my phone suddenly I got all my messages.

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I wasn't having as much of an issue with this yesterday but it's been driving me insane today. There's nothing like having a conversation on my iPhone, then going to my iPad hours later and finding that I'm receiving those messages hours later, long after the conversation's been over.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I notice issues like this when I've been in a heavy conversation, like message after message within say a minute - feels like the other devices (normally iPhone) needs time to catch up!

I had "issues" like this before 5.1 though.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Yeah, having a long conversation on my iPhone will leave my iPad and MBP struggling to relive that same conversation later. It get really annoying when you are in a remote location with limited internet like I am. The messages load so slowly, its actually hard to tell if the messages popping up are new or old.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I had my iPad off wifi yesterday (wifi only model) and had several messages going on my iPhone. Usually when I would get my iPad 2 running 5.0.1 back on wifi it would catch up on all of the conversations immediately.

With 5.1 Ive noticed that when it connects to wifi it will be playing catchup for hours sometimes.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Glad others are experiencing it as well!

Need to somehow bring this to Apple's attention - I've posted a thread about it on the discussion boards but it hasn't garnered any replies yet :(

Last edited:

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Maybe this has something to do with the wifi connction? I find my iMessages sync in real time as long as both iPhone and iPad are on the same wifi network at the time.

They may be stored in iCloud if one device is off or not on wifi - especially when there's an option for 3G vs. email as the transmission vehicle. Then, when a wifi connection is established, iCloud has to download collected conversations. Just a thought.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Maybe this has something to do with the wifi connction? I find my iMessages sync in real time as long as both iPhone and iPad are on the same wifi network at the time.

They may be stored in iCloud if one device is off or not on wifi - especially when there's an option for 3G vs. email as the transmission vehicle. Then, when a wifi connection is established, iCloud has to download collected conversations. Just a thought.

My iPhone and iPad were on the same Wi-Fi network but the iPhone messages ended up getting delayed by a few hours. I think it's more likely to be an iCloud issue and the way it pushes it to other iOS devices isn't completely synchronised.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Very strange. Hopefully this will be one of the things that clears up as iCloud is finessed by Apple. Given the number of multiple worldwide devices accessing iCloud at any one moment, it seems a staggering job to control the "traffic." Maybe once the new HQ campus is completed in Cupertino - designed to handle iCloud among other things, Mr. Jobs said - things will become more efficient.

Rofl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Ok, quite frankly this is becoming a joke.

My iMessages just came up delayed by 18 hours! iPad was on WiFi when it received the messages, and iPhone was on 3G.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
imessages is currently ridiculous.. I keep getting notifications on my iphone and ipad when I keep conversation from my mac. And yesterday I received TWO HUNDRED imessages on both iphone and ipad.

the protocol needs to improve multi-device support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.