Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
News link

Ventriloquist Paul Winchell, for 30 years the voice of Tigger in Disney Winnie the Pooh films, died at age 82.

He invented Tigger's "Ta-ta for now" phrase and was also Gargamel in The Smurfs.

Tigger will live on, of course. Jim Cummings has been his voice in recent years.

TTFN, Mr. Winchell.

Paul Winchell's home page

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Its always interesting to see the people behind a cartoon, its easy to get so wrapped up in a charactor that you can forget that there are real people reading those lines. Anyway, I loved Pooh as a youngin', and for his part in it, I thank him.

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
I cant read!

when i read the title of your post, i thought it said Tiger is dead (as in Mac OS X 10.4).

I was like, WTF how can it be dead? It just came out!

I really dont know how i passed school....

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
woodsey said:
when i read the title of your post, i thought it said Tiger is dead (as in Mac OS X 10.4).

I was like, WTF how can it be dead? It just came out!

I really dont know how i passed school....

:D the same thought went thought my dyslexic mind.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
They both did a great job bringing characters to life. My daughter and I have spent a lot of time recently watching the Disney classic "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". A film I could only watch once growing up in that long off time, the '70s (when films were in theaters only every few years - ah, the re-release of a film was always fun). I'm sure we'll enjoy they're work for generations to come.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
That's too bad

That's too bad. My 3 year old son is really into Winnie the Pooh at the moment.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Not too be confused with the recent death of Kellogg's Tiger. "It's GREEEATT!"

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I'll miss 'em both, but especially Fiedler. Some of you may remember him as Vinnie, Oscar's poker-playing buddy in the movie "The Odd Couple".

Though Fiedler was almost piglet-sized himself, he played some interesting roles. I remember him vaguely as the killer in a TV episode or movie I saw once. Made sense in its own way, since he was so short and thin-voiced he's the last person you would suspect as a murderer.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's an appropriate week to play one of the tunes I got with a Pepsi/iTunes cap:
[playlistId=63686152&selectedItemId=63686316]House at Pooh Corner[/playlistId] by Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina​
I spotted this in the iTunes Music Store too:
[playlistId=5971367&selectedItemId=5971357]Tigger's On the Trigger[/playlistId] by King B.A.V. on the album "Violence Is Golden". Hmmm.​

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
xli_ne said:
I was just about to post that.

The voices of Pooh, Owl, and Rabbit better watch out.

Sterling Holloway, the original voice of Pooh, died in 1992
Hal Smith, the original voice of Owl, died in 1994
Junius Matthews, the original voice of Rabbit, died in 1978

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Aeolius said:
Sterling Holloway, the original voice of Pooh, died in 1992
Hal Smith, the original voice of Owl, died in 1994
Junius Matthews, the original voice of Rabbit, died in 1978
It's the Hundred Acre Plague!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I remember Paul Winchell more for his Ventriloquism on TV with his dummies Knucklehead and Jerry Mahoney. May he rest in peace, thank you for all the joy that you brought to my life. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.