PDA

View Full Version : Think of taking new iPad back and getting a MacBook air?

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Love the iPad but now I am wondering if I should get a 11 inck MacBook air instead, I have been living with just my iPad , but this might be a great idea or keep it ugh.

saving107
Mar 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
go for it.

petvas
Mar 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
Love the iPad but now I am wondering if I should get a 11 inck MacBook air instead, I have been living with just my iPad , but this might be a great idea or keep it ugh.

If you have the money keep the iPad and get a Macbook Air too :)

I love my iPad but I still need a real "desktop" OS for a lot of things.

OneMike
Mar 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
Depends on what your use will be.

If I didn't have any other computer, I couldn't live with just an iPad. As a second and replacement for a laptop I'm fine.

One thing that took my iPad to the next level was getting a keyboard/folio. For me I went with zaggfolio, but there are other options such as the apple bluetooth keyboard and smart cover, less expensive options as well.

It's really a simple question.

Is there anything you find yourself incapable of doing on your iPad?

FearlessFreep
Mar 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
I have a MBP and an iMac so the iPad is a complimentary device, but I use it more than the other two combined. If I had to have just one device, I'd probably opt for just the MBA.

deeddawg
Mar 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
Miata or motorcycle.

Both are great. Each has different strengths.

No general way to say one's better than the other - depends on the individual's needs/preferences.

You're going to have to make this decision.

MrXiro
Mar 20, 2012, 11:58 AM
I would never just own an iPad without a computer of any sort... the iPad in it's current state is a supplement device to a computer.

All of my media is moved from my computer to my iPad so there is no way I could be able to go on just an iPad... but unless you're not like me who DLs tv shows regularly to watch at the gym and can make it work you should stick with it.

I loved my MBA when I had one though. It was much better to use when out on set or if I was just out and about. The thing just does a lot more... so I say return the iPad and get an Air.

Kendo
Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
Computer first, iPad second.

Getting an iPad without a computer is like getting an iPod touch without getting a cellphone. Convincing yourself that you can utilize the iPod touch to make calls with Google Voice when connected on Wi-Fi just doesn't cut it.

So many things a computer can do that an iPad can't.

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
Right now guys, I can't afford both, as my income is not there and my health is pretty bad, I am hoping to sell my large new home wthis summer and already have a tiny home I am trying to fix up, so for me finances are a bit rough.

I called apple they said I could return it to them which will be about 10 days turnaround, since I paid with a gift card.
I could use my daughters pc but I am not looking forward to it:(

scottness
Mar 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
If I had to choose between an iPad and a MacBook Air, I'd go with the MacBook Air. Doesn't compare if you use it to get things done.

jojoba
Mar 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
If I had to choose between an iPad and a MacBook Air, I'd go with the MacBook Air. Doesn't compare if you use it to get things done.

Agreed. I don't think you'll be disappointed, MBAs are gorgeous.

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
I also know if I go and buy a windows laptop I would not be happy so I paid 500.00 for the iPad and got 325.00 for my iPad 2 apple has a refurb for 849.00 I need the lit keyboard because of my eyes.

blueroom
Mar 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
A baseline MacBook Air is nearly twice the price of a baseline iPad 3.

You can add an Apple Bluetooth keyboard to an iPad 2 for under $500, a real keyboard is much better experience IMHO than a touchscreen one.

Still I'm writing this on my 13" MacBook Pro even though I have an iPad...

Techwriter
Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
I am lucky and have both - Macbook Air 13" and new iPad. If I had to pick only one, I'd return the iPad. The Macbook Air is wonderful for all tasks and very portable. Just my personal opinion.

ZBoater
Mar 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
I am lucky and have both - Macbook Air 13" and new iPad. If I had to pick only one, I'd return the iPad. The Macbook Air is wonderful for all tasks and very portable. Just my personal opinion.

If those were my only two choices, me too. Luckily I have a desktop, so I'd choose the iPad.

SteveSparks
Mar 20, 2012, 12:24 PM

Get both, or

Get 11 Air and 16GB iPad 2 or

Get 11 Air and 16GB iPad or

Get 11 Air..

The Air takes 15 seconds to boot, and it a sweet computer.

Ladybug
Mar 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
If I had to choose, I'd get the MacBook Air. Even if I had to go with the 11 inch. The iPad is awesome, I use it more than I do my computers, but for some things it's just easier to use a computer.

wellok
Mar 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have both and while I love the iPad it isn't a laptop replacement. That said, I haven't had my laptop out in a few days now that I have my iPad. I just wouldn't be comfortable not having a true computer to use when I need it.

Buildbright
I would wait till the new Airs come out. High-Res Screens, Ram Boost, Graphics Upgrade, Battery Boost, and who knows what else.

Besides take it from someone that has both I LOOOOVVVE my 13" Air but it only comes out when I need to get some fast work done. I sometimes feel it just wastes away in its bookarc.

mlmwalt
If it is one or the other, I'd go with the MBA. If you have already have a computer, laptop or desktop, I'd go with the iPad.

I'll probably replace my MBP (upon it's death) with an iMac, now that I have an iPad.

EdMan
Mar 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
I would have to choose the full fledged computer over the iPad. The iPad still has some limitations to consider it a replacement to a laptop. My vote is

MBA!

wirelessness
Mar 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
It really depends on what you will be using it for...as others have said.

I will say that I just started using my iPad 3 with a Zagg Folio case and it is a really great addition. The keyboard is excellent (not backlit though) and incorporates great shortcut keys as well. For general Internet, media use and moderate photography (with the camera connection kit) this could be all most people would ever need.

But of course there are some things only full blown PC's can do. If you couldn't live without those things then you would probably not need to even ask the question.

asleep
Mar 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Not a bad idea,

Except screens won't cover color gamut like the newPad.

mattpreston11
Mar 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
I did this with the first iPad. Never regretted it.

However I picked up an ipad3 this weekend on a whim, and it's night and day better than the ipad1.

I must say though the MBA will still travel with me on a 3 month business trip starting tomorrow.

Velin
Mar 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
This one is easy. Macbook Air first, iPad 3 second.

I like the new iPad, think it's great. Can the iPad replace a Macbook Air? No way, not if you have serious work to get done. Also, Macbook Air is best laptop I've ever owned, period -- it's a great machine I could rely on exclusively for extended business trips. Not so with iPad.

Jordan921
Mar 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
When I got my MacBook air I was thinking about getting the iPad2. Brother convinced me to just get a 13" MacBook Air and I love it. What alot of people don't realize is that the iPad isn't a computer replacement.

laurenr
Mar 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
To the OP:So sorry you are having such health problems. I wish you well.:o

When making your decision, I would suggest you take into account which device is the most user- friendly for YOU. You mention bad eye- sight, for example. Which device would be easier for you to use? Have you sat with, and used the MBA for a period of time? Would you have it on your lap, or would you sit at a desk? The reason I ask this - when I use the MBA on my lap, I find it quite uncomfortable because of the very sharp edges.

When you make your decision, perhaps your physical needs/limitations should factor into it? No matter how "beautiful" the MBA is, practicality must be taken into account:)

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
To the OP:So sorry you are having such health problems. I wish you well.:o

When making your decision, I would suggest you take into account which device is the most user- friendly for YOU. You mention bad eye- sight, for example. Which device would be easier for you to use? Have you sat with, and used the MBA for a period of time? Would you have it on your lap, or would you sit at a desk? The reason I ask this - when I use the MBA on my lap, I find it quite uncomfortable because of the very sharp edges.

When you make your decision, perhaps your physical needs/limitations should factor into it? No matter how "beautiful" the MBA is, practicality must be taken into account:)

Thank you!
I had the first MBA and the last Gen, so it's light enough for me , I use it in bed alot so it will be a bit different from my iPad.

I went to BB and looked at them and I really think I want it for the next year or so, I also might have a buyer for my iPad and AppleCare that I priced at 550.00 base model so I don't have to wait and be without a iPad for 10 days while they replace my gift card :(
So I will see what tomorrow brings.

7timethecrystal
Mar 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
I gave my wife the iPad 1 I had last year when I got the iPad 2. After years of begging her to get rid of all Windows devices in the house, we finally got a new 13" MacBook Air last fall. Since she got the MBA, she uses her MBA about 70% of the time, and only uses the iPad 1 for surfing and reading.

The MBA is such a sweet computer, if faced with having to use the iPad or the MBA only, I'd probably go with the MBA.

Glad I don't have that choice.

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
I gave my wife the iPad 1 I had last year when I got the iPad 2. After years of begging her to get rid of all Windows devices in the house, we finally got a new 13" MacBook Air last fall. Since she got the MBA, she uses her MBA about 70% of the time, and only uses the iPad 1 for surfing and reading.

The MBA is such a sweet computer, if faced with having to use the iPad or the MBA only, I'd probably go with the MBA.

Glad I don't have that choice.If only money was not A issue👋

noteple
Mar 20, 2012, 04:26 PM
If I could only take one with me on a trip. I would take the Air.

If I couldn't do the work in the field on the Air I certainly couldn't get it done on the iPad.

The only thing I miss is the cellular connectivity and battery life.

thatoneguy82
Mar 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Like others have said, if you don't have a laptop already get the air. But, if you do, keep the iPad, it's a totally different experience and more portable. Of course, getting the one with cellular capability would be a lot beter.

sUGArDawg
Mar 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
When I got my MacBook air I was thinking about getting the iPad2. Brother convinced me to just get a 13" MacBook Air and I love it. What alot of people don't realize is that the iPad isn't a computer replacement.

Speak for yourself. For a lot of people, it is a computer replacement. Just depends on your needs (surprise, surprise).

Richard8655
Mar 20, 2012, 04:45 PM
iPad first, then a laptop (if one must) Of course, assuming having a main computer (Mac Mini or iMac). But for me, laptop is an outdated device that's painful for me to use. Intended to be portable, but it's just all wrong for that and uncomfortable to boot.

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 04:45 PM
Speak for yourself. For a lot of people, it is a computer replacement. Just depends on your needs (surprise, surprise).
You are correct I use the iPad one and two with just the iPad not a computer, however I miss the full use of downloading something I need etc.

I could just live with it, but a larger screen would be better for me, and I think having a keyboard might be easier. However living with JUST the iPad was not really hard for me.

As for getting a cellular version of the iPad I really at this time cannot afford it.

tonyy
Mar 20, 2012, 05:10 PM
Keep the iPad and get a nice used Mac mini. Still have the portability with the iPad and when serious work or heavy downloads are needed, fire up the mini.

Edit: disregard the thumb down lol. I Must've pressed it on my iPhone.

Supra Mac
Mar 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
Right now guys, I can't afford both, as my income is not there and my health is pretty bad, I am hoping to sell my large new home wthis summer and already have a tiny home I am trying to fix up, so for me finances are a bit rough.

I called apple they said I could return it to them which will be about 10 days turnaround, since I paid with a gift card.
I could use my daughters pc but I am not looking forward to it:(

If finances are rough, use the PC and get back on your feet.

Hello...
Mar 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
If finances are rough, use the PC and get back on your feet.
Not a pC person, if I buy the air I will keep it until I can afford something better, I like how it's small and easy for me to handle a PC will only frustrate me.

unr1
Mar 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
This one is easy. Macbook Air first, iPad 3 second.

I like the new iPad, think it's great. Can the iPad replace a Macbook Air? No way, not if you have serious work to get done. Also, Macbook Air is best laptop I've ever owned, period -- it's a great machine I could rely on exclusively for extended business trips. Not so with iPad.100% agree. Best laptop I've owned. I'm so happy with my purchase.

Oppressed
Mar 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
I have both and I went from using the MBA full time to the iPad. I just consume content and can still edit the photos I want with iPhoto and other apps just fine. I decided to take on the Post-PC era with a front row seat.

Hello...
Mar 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Exchanged the iPad Recieved a perfect blue white one, Happy at last!