Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
I would greatly appreciate some feedback on some or all of the images I have posted to the links in my signature. The link to my Flickr page contains the most images. Please feel free to tell me what you like or don't like about certain images, what you think could have made the image stronger, or anything at all that you think would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at my work.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Thanks for sharing! Overall everything seems to be nicely photographed (good exposure, sharpness etc.). What I find myself asking when looking at some, but not all, of the images is "what am I supposed to be looking at?". Some of this could easily be fixed with simple changes to the composition while other would need to a change of focus.

For example: "A View Through The Trees"

In this case I have an idea of what you want me to look at, but because there are still so many foreground trees in the shot I find myself asking "is there something in there I should be looking for?". I'd try cropping the image a bit more to focus in on the background. Use the trees like a vignette to help draw the viewer in more and as a natural contrast to the background. That will also naturally bring the horizon a little closer to the upper third of the image for nicer composition.

Or: "Chairs on a farm"

It definitely looks like what the name describes, but other than the chairs what am I supposed to be looking at? What are the chairs looking at? While these are nicely photographed chairs there's really nothing else too this image to keep the viewer interested.

"Winding path" could also have a bit more impact if the opening was either in the upper third or lower third of the image. Same goes with some of your horizon shots. Right now the line of the horizon is almost dead center in the middle of the frame. If landscape if your focus try moving the horizon to the upper or lower third of your image.

I hope you can see what I'm getting at and that you're not taking offense. Keep in mind that none of these are dead set "rules" (those are made to be broken ;) ) , but I feel they would be great starting points for future photographs. Try taking a bit more time and care framing your shots. You'll probably end up taking less pictures, but you'll have waaayyy more keepers. Hope this helps. Good luck to ya!

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for sharing! Overall everything seems to be nicely photographed (good exposure, sharpness etc.). What I find myself asking when looking at some, but not all, of the images is "what am I supposed to be looking at?". Some of this could easily be fixed with simple changes to the composition while other would need to a change of focus.

For example: "A View Through The Trees"

In this case I have an idea of what you want me to look at, but because there are still so many foreground trees in the shot I find myself asking "is there something in there I should be looking for?". I'd try cropping the image a bit more to focus in on the background. Use the trees like a vignette to help draw the viewer in more and as a natural contrast to the background. That will also naturally bring the horizon a little closer to the upper third of the image for nicer composition.

Or: "Chairs on a farm"

It definitely looks like what the name describes, but other than the chairs what am I supposed to be looking at? What are the chairs looking at? While these are nicely photographed chairs there's really nothing else too this image to keep the viewer interested.

"Winding path" could also have a bit more impact if the opening was either in the upper third or lower third of the image. Same goes with some of your horizon shots. Right now the line of the horizon is almost dead center in the middle of the frame. If landscape if your focus try moving the horizon to the upper or lower third of your image.

I hope you can see what I'm getting at and that you're not taking offense. Keep in mind that none of these are dead set "rules" (those are made to be broken ;) ) , but I feel they would be great starting points for future photographs. Try taking a bit more time and care framing your shots. You'll probably end up taking less pictures, but you'll have waaayyy more keepers. Hope this helps. Good luck to ya!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my work and comment! You make some great points and I will definitely work on them. Thank you for the advice!

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
I like a lot of your photos. I'm not one to talk, but it seems like most of them were taken midday, so the lighting conditions are a bit harsh. Some of the building photos like "old barn" might be better with more of the building in view (just my opinion - a pro might disagree). Also some of the landscape photos like "lake side" might benefit from some more interesting foreground elements. I really like your night photos.

ShakyJay

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
I really like your shots! I have always been a photography nut, but I don't have what it takes to get any good shots-See my username :D...

The only comment that I may make and this may just be a personal preference or just an idea...Maybe off-center some more of your shots, especially any of the landscape shots. If there is an interesting feature on your right and a gorgeous sky then capture more of the sky and interesting feature on the right side in the foreground.

But I really like your photos!!!

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
I like a lot of your photos. I'm not one to talk, but it seems like most of them were taken midday, so the lighting conditions are a bit harsh. Some of the building photos like "old barn" might be better with more of the building in view (just my opinion - a pro might disagree). Also some of the landscape photos like "lake side" might benefit from some more interesting foreground elements. I really like your night photos.

Unfortunately, you are correct about the lighting. I do my best to shoot at sunrise and sunset for the best light, but sometimes I just don't have any other time but mid-day. Thank you for the comments and suggestions!

----------

I really like your shots! I have always been a photography nut, but I don't have what it takes to get any good shots-See my username :D...

The only comment that I may make and this may just be a personal preference or just an idea...Maybe off-center some more of your shots, especially any of the landscape shots. If there is an interesting feature on your right and a gorgeous sky then capture more of the sky and interesting feature on the right side in the foreground.

But I really like your photos!!!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.