Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
san jose
I installed tiger and all was fine and then started having problems with it slowing down. When I put in my norton it wouldn't work. I went to symantec and found they don't have a version for tiger yet. Anyone know where I can find a utility for tiger. I am having some major fragmention problems since I can't use a utility to fix it. Help ! :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
n8fry said:
I installed tiger and all was fine and then started having problems with it slowing down. When I put in my norton it wouldn't work. I went to symantec and found they don't have a version for tiger yet. Anyone know where I can find a utility for tiger. I am having some major fragmention problems since I can't use a utility to fix it. Help ! :confused:

What kind of work are you doing? I thought that the generally accepted view was that, unless you are using very, very large files (~ gigabytes), de-fragmentation is not necessary in OS X, because the disk is de-fragged on the fly.

Is there a specific reason you believe fragmentation is the issue? How full is your disk? Norton and Symantec are generally considered garbage-ware around here. :rolleyes: It might be that you have a different kind of issue altogether.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You might need more RAM, otherwise check in Activity Monitor to see if a process has stalled.

n8fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
san jose
ram has dissapeared

I think I figured it out. I installed 512 more ram and was working fine but looked at system profiler and the ram has dissapeared, and it says the slot is empty, any thoughts or suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.