PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade for eMac?

mFrazz
Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have a 2003 eMac G4 1 ghz that I still use for email and as a music server. Needless to say, it's getting a bit slow with the factory set-up.

I ordered generic RAM for it, but it won't recognize the RAM. A buddy suggested that I might need to mess with the settings for it to accept the RAM, but I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Any thoughts?

All help is appreciated!

DrakkenWar
Mar 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
I will take a stab at this one with what you have given.

To truly get the help you are looking for we need to know where the ram came from, bus speed of the ram and size in mb's of each chip to start with. Such a generic question rarely gets a response out of the gate. Too many variables involved.

~Drake

linz1253
Jul 8, 2012, 08:05 PM
EMacs take a specific kind of ram. I also have the same kind of emac.

The RAM expansion modules used in the eMac and eMac (ATI Graphics) computers are 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs (dual inline memory modules) with these characteristics: 3.3 V, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity, PC-133 compliant.

Important: The memory expansion cards (DIMMs) must use SDRAM devices. DIMMs that use EDO or SGRAM devices will not work. If they are installed, the computer will beep, and the power light will flash several times when you turn on the computer. This indicates that the computer cannot find any useable RAM.

Hope this helps!