Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mykonos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
After installing the Developer Preview 2, I fired up the updated Notes application. Suddenly my fan won't shut up. Anyone know how I can address this issue? I've tried to unsync Notes, resync, to no avail.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
After installing the Developer Preview 2, I fired up the updated Notes application. Suddenly my fan won't shut up. Anyone know how I can address this issue? I've tried to unsync Notes, resync, to no avail.
  • Your fans are always on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (on MBPs... you didn't mention what Mac model you have).
  • Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your fan speeds and temps, among other things.
  • If your fans are spinning faster without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
  • If you do have increased heat, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Mykonos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
  • Your fans are always on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (on MBPs... you didn't mention what Mac model you have).
  • Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your fan speeds and temps, among other things.
  • If your fans are spinning faster without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
  • If you do have increased heat, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Yeah sorry about that! I have a late 2011 MacBook Air.

After investigating Activity Monitor (thanks for the tip by the way) there is a process called dnssd that takes up about 98.8% CPU usage... insight?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah sorry about that! I have a late 2011 MacBook Air.

After investigating Activity Monitor (thanks for the tip by the way) there is a process called dnssd that takes up about 98.8% CPU usage... insight?
That's a Firefox add-on. You can kill the process and see if it comes back. If it still dominates CPU, disable it.

Mykonos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
That's a Firefox add-on. You can kill the process and see if it comes back. If it still dominates CPU, disable it.

FIGURED IT OUT. There's a problem with printer drivers in Mountain Lion. dnssd is related to that. Once I uninstalled all my drivers, I was fine :)

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.