PDA

View Full Version : The heat related iPad stories are getting ridiculous!

Sir Ruben
Mar 21, 2012, 05:19 AM
Over the last few days there have been loads of stories about the heat generated by the new iPad. Surely this is a no brainer? It has a bigger battery, more powerful processor and a retina display. I would have been surprised if it DIDNT run warmer.

However the mainstream press have latched onto this and are suggesting that it is OVERHEATING and is HOT to touch which is ridiculous! They are manipulating the story to make it sound as if there is some kind of manufacturing fault which of course there isnt.

After hours of use, and even playing games like Infinity Blade 2, mine runs WARM, which is perfectly normal as far as I was aware? Am I missing something??

iapplelove
Mar 21, 2012, 05:23 AM
I had a 2 hour wait yesterday in the service depot for my VW and had the iPad on and in my hand the whole time bouncing back from movies,YouTube,games and playing music in the background and I have to say the thing wasn't really that hot at all..

A little Luke warm in the areas it should be but that's it.

Did I also mention after a full charge I was only at 78 when I left

Stealthipad
Mar 21, 2012, 05:24 AM
Over the last few days there have been loads of stories about the heat generated by the new iPad. Surely this is a no brainer? It has a bigger battery, more powerful processor and a retina display. I would have been surprised if it DIDNT run warmer.

However the mainstream press have latched onto this and are suggesting that it is OVERHEATING and is HOT to touch which is ridiculous! They are manipulating the story to make it sound as if there is some kind of manufacturing fault which of course there isnt.

After hours of use, and even playing games like Infinity Blade 2, mine runs WARM, which is perfectly normal as far as I was aware? Am I missing something??

It is the nature of these forums for people top exaggerate. My favorite is where the guy says he could use his iPad as a "iron"! These forums make people even more OCD and I am sure increase the return rate on new iPads. I am betting we all pay an extra $50-$100 because some return them 3, 4 and even 5 times.:p

Sir Ruben
Mar 21, 2012, 05:27 AM
It is the nature of these forums for people top exaggerate. My favorite is where the guy says he could use his iPad as a "iron"! These forums make people even more OCD and I am sure increase the return rate on new iPads. I am betting we all pay an extra $50-$100 because some return them 3, 4 and even 5 times.:p

Wow. The Apple store employee's must get so burned out with some people returning again and again. A genuine fault I can understand but there is NOTHING wrong with the iPad as far as getting warm.

Touch the back of a TV, warm, touch the back of your computer, warm, touch the top of a home cinema amp, warm.

If they could make a device as powerful and as thin as the iPad run completely cold without a fan Id be staggered!

EDIT: Also the people complaining of the bottom left corner getting warmer than the rest of the back, RIIIIIght? This is where the A5X is.

xRYD3Rx
Mar 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
I have been using my iPad for 3-4hours a day doing all kinds of stuff, it just gets warm but not very hot at all!

I'm not sure why everyone is going crazy over this small thing.

Stealthipad
Mar 21, 2012, 05:41 AM
Wow. The Apple store employee's must get so burned out with some people returning again and again. A genuine fault I can understand but there is NOTHING wrong with the iPad as far as getting warm.

Touch the back of a TV, warm, touch the back of your computer, warm, touch the top of a home cinema amp, warm.

If they could make a device as powerful and as thin as the iPad run completely cold without a fan Id be staggered!

EDIT: Also the people complaining of the bottom left corner getting warmer than the rest of the back, RIIIIIght? This is where the A5X is.

If it ran completly cold, that battery would last 3 times as long. BUT, the law of physics are involved here and much of our energy in our electronics is wasted in heat!

WhoAmI2
Mar 21, 2012, 05:42 AM
Electronics get hot?

LoL, people NEED something to whine/bitch about.

Macman45
Mar 21, 2012, 05:43 AM
Heat gate. Here we come...:)

Sir Ruben
Mar 21, 2012, 05:47 AM
I guess the heat stories are good in a way as they show that they are struggling to find any faults with the fantastic new iPad.

I absolutely couldnt be happier. So glad I got it :)

iapplelove
Mar 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Ever feel your iPhone after a 45 minute phone call lol?

You wanna talk about hot

EarlZ
Mar 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
Just because your unit does not over heat it does not mean the other wont, its clearly a manufacturing/design oversight. If media sites cover it then its a legitimate issue, if its covered then suddenly dropped, thats the time I would worry.

Sir Ruben
Mar 21, 2012, 06:02 AM
Just because your unit does not over heat it does not mean the other wont, its clearly a manufacturing/design oversight. If media sites cover it then its a legitimate issue, if its covered then suddenly dropped, thats the time I would worry.

If any units overheat they are individual faulty units. If the new iPads as a whole get warm, that is completely normal.

These stories will die off in a few days, because they are purely 'fillers' on slow news days. Plus any suggested Apple fault will always generate clicks.

There is no manufacturing/design oversight whatsoever. Where on earth are you getting that idea from? Or are you the kind of person who believes media overreaction?

EarlZ
Mar 21, 2012, 06:21 AM
If any units overheat they are individual faulty units. If the new iPads as a whole get warm, that is completely normal.

These stories will die off in a few days, because they are purely 'fillers' on slow news days. Plus any suggested Apple fault will always generate clicks.

There is no manufacturing/design oversight whatsoever. Where on earth are you getting that idea from? Or are you the kind of person who believes media overreaction?

Wait, what gave you the idea that I believed that all units are overheating? Some are clearly faulty due to the oversight while others are not. Not all chips are created equally and some may even run 2-3x hotter than others, a friend of mine says its my Tab7.7 runs warmer compared to his Ipad3 running Infinity blade for almost 1hr.

There are a few reporting that its 'too hot to the touch' you should advocate to them :)

bp1000
Mar 21, 2012, 06:31 AM
I'm the opposite

I was extremely surprised when i first got the iPad actually how cold to the touch it was.

All electronics generate heat but this thing didn't seem to even get warm.

I've been used to Dell Laptops burning your knees under normal use :D

Chupa Chupa
Mar 21, 2012, 06:33 AM
Com-plete-ly overblown story but comes with the territory. When you are a massive success story like Apple, and proven not to be a mere trendsetter but actually changing societal habits expect bb's, bullets, then torpedoes to be shot at you.

Of course the reality is consumers cannot expect any company to take a fast CPU/GPU chip, a 42 Whr battery for all day use, and make a just over 1/3 inch glass and aluminum sandwich out of it, and not expect heat transfer. But then again that is the confusion that starts in when schools stop teaching physics in high school because it's too stressful on students </sarc>

Personally, if the choice is between the iPad shell with added heat and something with less heat transfer like the plasticky TouchPad I also have, I'll take the heat all day. The iPad feels like $500+. The TouchPad did not -- of course few paid $500.

It's just too bad Tim Cook doesn't have the bravado that Steve Jobs had because we all know how Steve Jobs would react: "Get a case".

Alexjones
Mar 21, 2012, 06:35 AM

Clicks= Funny $$$$$$

Fliesen
Mar 21, 2012, 06:36 AM

it clearly is

just like it's clearly been with the iPhone 4S battery 'design oversight', the iPhone 4 antenna 'design oversight', the iPad 2 'massive backlight bleed' design oversight', the MacBook Pro i7 and i5 heating 'design oversight', and so on, and so forth.

if you WANT to find flaws, you WILL find them, on any piece of gadgetry. also, media sites covering suff is a very bad metric, as they depend on pagehits, which means they'll overblow stuff as much as they can to provoke the strongest reactions. Media coverage means _nothing_. Especially when it comes to supposed flaws of Apple devices, nowadays.

EarlZ
Mar 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
And your point being?

Pressure
Mar 21, 2012, 06:46 AM
Wait, what gave you the idea that I believed that all units are overheating? Some are clearly faulty due to the oversight while others are not. Not all chips are created equally and some may even run 2-3x hotter than others, a friend of mine says its my Tab7.7 runs warmer compared to his Ipad3 running Infinity blade for almost 1hr.

There are a few reporting that its 'too hot to the touch' you should advocate to them :)

Ehm, 2 to 3 times hotter than others?

No no, the difference between high leakage parts and other parts are not that big.

The Thermal Design Power is made after the "worst" parts and are considered the average.

EarlZ
Mar 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
Actual temperature wise, probably at worse case its gonna be like 7~10c more, 2-3 more hotter to the human touch is what I ment, I've had that experience with a non apple device where my first unit ran extremely cool when charging and playing a very intensive 3d game and the replacement was uncomfortably hot doing the very same thing. Considering theres a CPU+GPU+Bigger Battery+double the LED needed for the dsiplay shows that this is a very plausible issue. sites report its 10c hotter than ipad2, while others say its so hot that it is very uncomfortable to the touch.

daffy67
Mar 21, 2012, 06:59 AM
Happy with mine, spent first 3-5 hrs today d/l and installing all my apps, heaps of battery left and with all the crap about heating up going around I kept checking it, bah storm in a tea cup.

sectime
Mar 21, 2012, 07:02 AM

You wanna talk about hot
Pretty clear the heat heat whiners never owned an Apple laptop, or used one. That's heat folks. ;)

jeffg819
Mar 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
In the world of 24/7 news, this is so pathetically predictable. Sites need eyeballs, eyeballs love drama.

iCarabma
Mar 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
ouch. (http://www.zdnet.com/photos/7-critiques-of-the-new-ipad/6351900?seq=2&tag=siu-container;photo-frame#photo-frame)

sigh.

Sir Ruben
Mar 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
In the world of 24/7 news, this is so pathetically predictable. Sites need eyeballs, eyeballs love drama.

What winds me up are the idiots out there who read these stories and automatically assume the thing is boiling hot.

It gets WARM................NORMAL WARMTH...............NOT HOT :D

Velin
Mar 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
We purchased a lot of iPads, both for personal and office use, including wi-fi-only and 4g models. Heat problems? Zero. None. Nada. And this is with heavy use.

Macbook Air under load gets warmer than iPad 3. And the laptop PCs we have get hotter than the Air -- the PCs get uncomfortably hot.

These iPad 3 "heat" stories are gross exaggerations. Totally overblown circus nonsense. In a few days no one will care. And I hope Apple ignores these ridiculous "complaints."

whtrbt7
Mar 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
If you're having heat problems, you're probably using it wrong. That includes using on top of a water heater, using it on top of a stove, using it under a heat lamp, using it in a sauna, using it out of a pizza over, using it out of any oven, using it in the desert without shade, using it in a microwave, using it in the tub, using it on the heater, and using it on a memory loop.

Ksateskier
Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
I have used mine to play on the web and play golf on the couch for 3-4 hours a night since I picked it up - never noticed my ipad hot at all or even warm for that matter. I think the reports are nitpicky.

tanboom
Mar 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
I can think of one reason why people are complaining about it - because, it runs warmer than iPad 2. Someone who never touch iPad 2 wont probably complain. Similarly, its heavy not because its heavy but its heavy because its heavier than iPad 2. So the iPad lovers who complain have only one option to fight heat and weight - buy the iPad 2:p

spiderman0616
Mar 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
This is the only thing I hate about Apple stuff.

I used to hate it just because I hated it. I was your typical IT geek who only wanted to work with Linux and all the other stereotypical hater criteria.

But in the last couple of years, I have become more and more and more an Apple guy. My laptop was replaced with an iPad. My cell phone was replaced with an iPhone. My Linksys router was replaced with an Apple Airport Extreme. There are no non-iPod MP3 players in our house anymore. When my PC dies someday, it will be replaced with a Mac. You could say that I finally drank the Kool Aid, and I'm glad I did, because I have a blast with my Apple stuff.

That being said, I read a lot of tech media, and it sucks that they constantly try to bring Apple down. I guess when you're on top, everyone is always gunning for you, but with Apple people make mountains out of molehills at EVERY LAUNCH. It never fails. I get my shiny new iWhatever, enjoy the hell out of it for a few days, and then some website makes up a new "gate" and kills my buzz.

I should have anticipated this for the new iPad, but I was having such a good time using it, I wasn't even thinking about all the BS I would see in the news by the next week.

taskmanager
Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
It only get warm where the processor is. People need to chill. The thing is way faster than the previous version.

This shows my feelings on the subject

Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Louis CK put it best.

dacreativeguy
Mar 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

Fear sells. No change there.

diane143
Mar 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'm the opposite

I was extremely surprised when i first got the iPad actually how cold to the touch it was.

All electronics generate heat but this thing didn't seem to even get warm.

I've been used to Dell Laptops burning your knees under normal use :D

My late-2008 MB is pretty hot in summer months (I enjoy the heat in the winter LOL).

Have not had the iPad come close to that yet!

vladtheimpaler
Mar 21, 2012, 11:36 AM

There was a new iPad that a guy literally fried eggs and bacon on it was so hot.
Ultimately, if you are hurt you should speak with Apple but the eggs and bacon were completely cooked. It may still be on youtube.

lilsoccakid74
Mar 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, it gets warm. No, by no means is it overheating. If I dont want to feel the warmer part, just flip the ipad around. Solved it everyone!:p

I wish this forum had more positive posts, I feel the need to stay away from it or I just hear more complaints about things that aren't problems.

Enjoy your tablet people!

tjb1
Mar 21, 2012, 11:41 AM

Its not an issue, do you not understand that things get hot when used? Computers have heatsinks attached right to the top of the CPU and GPU and a fan to remove the heat almost immediately. Everything in a heat sink is for thermal transfer. iPad has no heat sinks on any of the chips, all the chips are on a very narrow board that sits at one end of the iPad(Looks to be the left side).

Here is a picture of that board..note that this board has chips on BOTH sides. The picture is from the iFixit teardown. Now you see the chips, where do you expect the heat to go? Its an amazing feat in itself that they can use a chip that powerful without a normal heatsink.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/32MNSAejFIJsYJGt.medium

In this picture you can see the "heatsink" used on the A5X, this is very minimal and that whole box is covered with a metal cover anyway to protect these chips and the others from interference. There is a pad that goes on top of the A5X cover to move heat to the board section cover also but I did not see anything to transfer beyond that.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/i6ZlJCQfdaHyktRY.medium

mac jones
Mar 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know, but I would say it's too early to make any kind of call on this. After a few weeks it will become clearer (obviously)

iBighouse
Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wirelessly posted

I am looking forward to buying my iPad this weekend AND I'm also looking forward to putting into use the new hand warmer feature for my old, cold hands!

tekchic
Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
I had a completely non-technical coworker come up to me today and say, "Oh, do you have the new iPad? I heard it gets really hot!"

I showed her what it looks like when I have it propped up on my knees for hours on the couch when I read, and told her I'm not having any issues with heat (which is true). If I slapped my MBP onto my lap on the couch, I'd roast my girl parts!

I'm tired of all of the "ooh that's bad, Apple" hype in the media. Today's news is about how the wifi is poor. Again, no issues with heat or wifi, and my screen looks perfect after the first 10 hours of (normal) use.

FUD.

tjb1
Mar 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
The next iPad is going to have the power of a damn calculator. Its good Apple doesnt listen to whiney consumers. They make something more powerful that almost fit into the same package as the last one and people expect it not to get any hotter... Too many morons on this forum that dont understand that electronics make heat, and when more power is needed...more heat is also produced.

tsekh
Mar 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have to disagree. I am used to warm electronics, and in the beginning I thought the warmth of the iPad 3 was normal. Since it has bigger battery and faster GPU right? So I never worried much about it.

I exchanged mine at Apple store for another one due to display problem. Surprise! This new one runs a lot cooler. A lot.

Conclusion? Not all iPad 3 are the same, some do run hotter. If you can't stand yours, try doing an exchange.

smallnshort247
Mar 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
"The new IPad, get it while it's hot!" hehehe..

mac jones
Mar 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have to disagree. I am used to warm electronics, and in the beginning I thought the warmth of the iPad 3 was normal. Since it has bigger battery and faster GPU right? So I never worried much about it.

I exchanged mine at Apple store for another one due to display problem. Surprise! This new one runs a lot cooler. A lot.

Conclusion? Not all iPad 3 are the same, some do run hotter. If you can't stand yours, try doing an exchange.

Really?

Wow, that's odd. I don't want to exchange mine as that not only is embarrassing, but if the replacement is worse it could rapidly become rather unpleasant.

However, the upside to something like this is, is that Apple is excellent with support, and if down the road (after return window is closed) I imagine I could still exchange it, as a hot iPad is defective if they are not all like that. At least that's what my pathetically optimistic side is telling me

I don't know :o

rollzst
Mar 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
I use my iPad as a griddle, fried some eggs and bacon on it, then I wiped off the egg and took it to work. Came pretty handy at lunchtime as I used it to cook a pizza hot, it was hot hot hot

tsekh
Mar 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Really?

Wow, that's odd. I don't want to exchange mine as that not only is embarrassing, but if the replacement is worse it could rapidly become rather unpleasant.

However, the upside to something like this is, is that Apple is excellent with support, and if down the road (after return window is closed) I imagine I could still exchange it, as a hot iPad is defective if they are not all like that. At least that's what my pathetically optimistic side is telling me

I don't know :o

Yeah. I was ok with the warmth of my old-new iPad, but I did notice the warmth. I even asked my girlfriend and see if her iPad 3 was warm or not, but she told me it ran cool. I kind of assumed that's because she didn't play 3D games on it.

But I'm having pink-ish tint on the left side of the screen, and when I finally got the chance to compare hers to mine, I noticed that her screen was much brighter and color perfect. So I exchanged mine at the Apple store here. While my new iPad no longer has a pink-ish screen, it is still not as bright as my girlfriend's... :( Oh well.... Anyway, at least my iPad now runs as cool as hers.

But I have to say, it's this kind of support and convenient that I like about Apple. I had some problems with all my iPads in the past (first iPad's speaker failed after half a year, and the my iPad 2 volume button failed after I dropped it... yes.. my fault), and Apple took care of them extremely quickly and without giving me the look or having me to answer tons of useless question.

sou1 so1di3r
Mar 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
My iPad is only slightly warm and I've been using it for hours now. Ppl need to stop freaking

johnc22
Mar 21, 2012, 02:28 PM

That has to be some of the lamest reasoning ever.

Built
Mar 21, 2012, 07:43 PM

Well said.

gadget123
Mar 21, 2012, 08:56 PM
Well I hear it only runs warm on 3G or games I rarely do this.

My Ipad is not that much warmer.

CrAkD
Mar 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
I know I dunno what everyone's problem is I used mine to make breakfast this Morning. You haven't had eggs til you've had new iPad eggs.

Vastastheocean
Mar 21, 2012, 09:04 PM

I'd rather be a fanboy than a media puppet. ;)

Zwhaler
Mar 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'll also point out that many customers would be complaining if the new iPad didn't have the horsepower that it does.. but now that it runs a little hot because of it they complain about that :rolleyes:

wharzhee
Mar 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
a notebook is sure to run hotter than compared to an ipad(3),
why isnt anyone making noise about that?

oh yea, cause everyone digs the apple.

too bad apple markets to the mass market now, i.e. (un)bright and (un)brilliant people, and we have to hear their whines.

why dont u hear the android people talk abt their antenna-gate, etc. oh yea. cause they're brighter? gotta be kidding me.
must be something to do with that, or they understand its so, or they're just sweeping it under the rug. media loves attention, esp where the 3mil people lie ->ipad.

Vastastheocean
Mar 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'll also point out that many customers would be complaining if the new iPad didn't have the horsepower that it does.. but now that it runs a little hot because of it they complain about that :rolleyes:

Great point. Imagine how hot the A6 would have been. Tis is for the people who didn't like the specs of the A5x.

mac jones
Mar 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
The heat is a good sign in a way.

It uses a lot of power but battery life, weight, and size are pretty close to the iPad 2

It's always a trade off, but perhaps heat is the lesser of a number of evils.

As they say:

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the.....(Just had too :D )

Zetaprime
Mar 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'd say it gets warm, but not hot. Now my macbook..that gets hot, but the iPad? Never.

EarlZ
Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 PM
Its not an issue, do you not understand that things get hot when used? Computers have heatsinks attached right to the top of the CPU and GPU and a fan to remove the heat almost immediately. Everything in a heat sink is for thermal transfer. iPad has no heat sinks on any of the chips, all the chips are on a very narrow board that sits at one end of the iPad(Looks to be the left side).

Here is a picture of that board..note that this board has chips on BOTH sides. The picture is from the iFixit teardown. Now you see the chips, where do you expect the heat to go? Its an amazing feat in itself that they can use a chip that powerful without a normal heatsink.

Image (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/32MNSAejFIJsYJGt.medium)

In this picture you can see the "heatsink" used on the A5X, this is very minimal and that whole box is covered with a metal cover anyway to protect these chips and the others from interference. There is a pad that goes on top of the A5X cover to move heat to the board section cover also but I did not see anything to transfer beyond that.

Image (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/i6ZlJCQfdaHyktRY.medium)

That has to be some of the lamest reasoning ever.

I'd rather be a fanboy than a media puppet. ;)

You guys need to relax and take two steps back and dont take the context of my post and blow it out of proportion, I never said all of them are overheating, obviously some are as they already claimed its very uncomfortable to the touch and some even reach the over temperature warning. I understand you guys defending the product but just dont take things out of proportion, I've even said the Galaxy Tab7.7 run warmer than the new Ipad.

kulimer
Mar 21, 2012, 11:32 PM

You wanna talk about hot

iPhone is a a piece of junk, you really shouldn't be comparing it against the iPhone.

Sir Ruben
Mar 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
iPhone is a a piece of junk, you really shouldn't be comparing it against the iPhone.

Wtf!? I think you have tripped, and fallen into an Apple forum by mistake lol

mwulf67
Mar 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
a notebook is sure to run hotter than compared to an ipad(3),
why isnt anyone making noise about that?

I didn't complain about it, I bought an iPad because of it...

I don't know what to make of this issue/non-issue...but I will say this, noticeable (uncomfortable?) heat transfer doesn't sound very post-pc to me...

mmacc
Mar 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
When you're number one everybody's going to take a shot at you. It's just part of Marchmadness! ;)

JRoDDz
Mar 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
It hotter and has poorer battery life. Not to mention much longer charging times.

see this article.
http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/tablets/232602960

rdrr
Mar 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Step 1. Buy new iDevice and bring home to play with.
Step 2. Do not go to MacRumors forums or any other Apple "Fan" site for around 6 months.
Step 3. Read rumors of the next new iDevice.
Step 4. Go to Step 1.

mac jones
Mar 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
It hotter and has poorer battery life. Not to mention much longer charging times.

see this article.

This is some good info. But perhaps is not the whole story.

He failed to note that they managed to keep the form factor almost identical the the iPad 2. Yet he says Apple has "strayed from form over function", which is not the case. This unfortunately makes the entire article suspect.

asleep
Mar 22, 2012, 09:09 AM
?..just flip the ipad around.
...and burn your other hand.

Yggbert
Mar 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
I for one welcome a little bit of heat on those cold aluminium shells!

rdiz17
Mar 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
Mine definitely feels warmer than my iPad 1 but it doesn't bother me. I have a case on the back and it dissipates some of the heat compared to when I hold it naked.

tjb1
Mar 22, 2012, 09:18 AM

see this article.

I honestly hate owning anything apple because of people like this. 10F warmer? Big god damn deal... 40 grams heavier?? Seriously, thats only 16 pennies... and ".03 thicker? Thats not even a 1/16" of an inch!

Apple does more and damn near fits it in the same package and everyone complains. The screen has a yellow tint(OMG!?!?), it wont charge when im using the most resource intensive game on the app store at full brightness with 4G and WIFI on.

Every new release its another 6 months of bitching, new MBP will come out...OMG IT STILL HAS CD DRIVE, I NEED MOAR HDD AND I 2 STOOPID TO PUT MY OWN HDD IN. The keyboard doesnt click the same im going to return it. The backlight bleeds through the apple logo unevenly im returning it. It doesnt boot in -40 seconds im returning it. The backlight is uneven when staring at a completely black background...im returning it. How damn often is the background ever solid black? How often do you ever have it at FULL brightness.

I can only imagine the complaints if they made a TV, holy hell. The remote doesnt work through 3 stories of concrete, im returning it. It has an indicator light on when the tv is off im returning it. The indicator light is a different shade of red/green than the picture on apples website, im returning it. There is 1 stuck pixel out of my 3 million, im returning it...

No wonder Apple runs out of stock with all the people returning them because of stupid crap or exchanging them because they couldnt decide and just HAD TO HAVE IT THE DAY IT CAME OUT.

Forum makes me sick.

Edit: From my rough calculations the screen is about 7.75"x5.8125", I got this by taking 1536/2048 to get the ratio. 7.75*.75=5.8125. 7.75^2+5.8125^2=93.84765625^2=9.6875 so nearly 9.7

That would make each pixel = 5.8125/1536 = .003784179688 or 7.75/2048 = .003784179688

and to continue... 7.75*5.8125 = 45.046875 in^2 and 1536*2048 = 3,145,728 and 3,145,278/45.046875in^2 = 69832.32466 pixels per inch ^2 = 264.258 pixels per inch.

So each pixel is .003784179688 or about the thickness of a piece of copy paper, which when you take that and make it a square...is damn near impossible to see. Why check for something you cant see? Everyone here goes looking for problems...

And after doing all the math I realize I could have taken 2048/264 to get the height and same for width but even that doesnt equal out to 9.7...it is equal to 9.696969697 so im sure everyone will return it because the screen isnt truly 9.7 diagonal.

Leonard1818
Mar 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
first ipad so nothing to compare it to except my old laptop with about as much computing power AND a fan AND it gets SUPER hot...

iPad.... not hot.

I believe it's prob warmer than the last gen iPad but who gives a ****.

tarasis
Mar 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't say ridiculous.

The iPad 3 is without question warmer than the iPad or iPad 2, I have all three and have used them all with and without the original Apple case. The iPad 3 is the first iPad where I have been aware that it is hot (particularly in the original Apple Case), indeed it feels more than simply 10F temp difference.

It's not hard to hold but it isn't as plesant to hold as the iPad 2. I'm kicking myself slightly for not checking out the temps of other iPad 3's at a Mac/iOS dev conf I was just at; there was a ton of them floating about.

lilsoccakid74
Mar 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
...and burn your other hand.

Since the warmth is coming from the lower left side, and is usually while playing HD video/games for a long time, you can avoid the warm part in landscape mode easily.

If the warmth coming off the ipad is enough to "burn" your hand, your clearly not fit to own an ipad. That must be embarrasing.:eek:

PS.I wonder what you do when its that hot outside in the summer.;)

Zetaprime
Mar 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
Since the warmth is coming from the lower left side, and is usually while playing HD video/games for a long time, you can avoid the warm part in landscape mode easily.

If the warmth coming off the ipad is enough to "burn" your hand, your clearly not fit to own an ipad. That must be embarrasing.:eek:

PS.I wonder what you do when its that hot outside in the summer.;)

116 degrees fahrenheit is not 'burning hot' on the skin. It's not the same as standing in the desert sun at the same temperature since the sun is also blasting you with UV rays. I consider it warm, but not unpleasantly so.

dmccloud
Mar 22, 2012, 07:30 PM

I see you're now trolling multiple threads...

----------

see this article.

It's 7-8 degrees warmer with normal use. The one test that claimed it was "significantly hotter" was run at 100% brightness and Infinity Blade II running for two hours straight. And since the battery has almost twice the capacity of the iPad 2 (40 mW/h vs 25 mW/h), of course it's going to take longer to charge. Battery life is actually within the margin of error compared to the iPad2 as well.

InformationWeek hasn't been able to run a truly objective article on anything Apple for years now, so citing them as "authoritative" is a joke at best.

bawbac
Mar 22, 2012, 07:37 PM
I honestly hate owning anything apple because of people like this. 10F warmer? Big god damn deal... 40 grams heavier?? Seriously, thats only 16 pennies... and ".03 thicker? Thats not even a 1/16" of an inch!

Apple does more and damn near fits it in the same package and everyone complains. The screen has a yellow tint(OMG!?!?), it wont charge when im using the most resource intensive game on the app store at full brightness with 4G and WIFI on.

Every new release its another 6 months of bitching, new MBP will come out...OMG IT STILL HAS CD DRIVE, I NEED MOAR HDD AND I 2 STOOPID TO PUT MY OWN HDD IN. The keyboard doesnt click the same im going to return it. The backlight bleeds through the apple logo unevenly im returning it. It doesnt boot in -40 seconds im returning it. The backlight is uneven when staring at a completely black background...im returning it. How damn often is the background ever solid black? How often do you ever have it at FULL brightness.

I can only imagine the complaints if they made a TV, holy hell. The remote doesnt work through 3 stories of concrete, im returning it. It has an indicator light on when the tv is off im returning it. The indicator light is a different shade of red/green than the picture on apples website, im returning it. There is 1 stuck pixel out of my 3 million, im returning it...

No wonder Apple runs out of stock with all the people returning them because of stupid crap or exchanging them because they couldnt decide and just HAD TO HAVE IT THE DAY IT CAME OUT.

Forum makes me sick.

Edit: From my rough calculations the screen is about 7.75"x5.8125", I got this by taking 1536/2048 to get the ratio. 7.75*.75=5.8125. 7.75^2+5.8125^2=93.84765625^2=9.6875 so nearly 9.7

That would make each pixel = 5.8125/1536 = .003784179688 or 7.75/2048 = .003784179688

and to continue... 7.75*5.8125 = 45.046875 in^2 and 1536*2048 = 3,145,728 and 3,145,278/45.046875in^2 = 69832.32466 pixels per inch ^2 = 264.258 pixels per inch.

So each pixel is .003784179688 or about the thickness of a piece of copy paper, which when you take that and make it a square...is damn near impossible to see. Why check for something you cant see? Everyone here goes looking for problems...

And after doing all the math I realize I could have taken 2048/264 to get the height and same for width but even that doesnt equal out to 9.7...it is equal to 9.696969697 so im sure everyone will return it because the screen isnt truly 9.7 diagonal.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppft...

briand05
Mar 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah same for me. Mine does run a bit warmer than my iPad 2 did, but it's just warm it's not like boiling hot. It obviously getting warmer than the iPad 2 because of the much larger battery, retina display, beefier GPU. It definitely shouldn't be anywhere close to burning your hand, if it is then something's definitely seriously wrong with yours.

iPad-Lover
Mar 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Wait a minute... Has anyone had like a dell/compaq laptop on there knees for 30 mins or so? Like a oven - lmao. Can't believe they are complaining over something so stupid, okay I can automatically see a rise in temp from my iPad 2 but it's a few degrees - anyway I'm not going to be one of those pussys who send back there iPad because they can't handle a bit of heat.. There just wasting there time - only way I would take mine back if it started getting really, really hot which is unlikely.

BreadedVirus
Mar 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
Wirelessly posted

I can tell from your post you are a huge Apple fan and basically state they can do no wrong.

Just because you may not find it a big issue with the "heat pad" does not mean other people are ok with it.

If i am to spend $500-900 on a product, it better be in ship shape condition.

bawbac
Mar 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Increased heat doesn't cause problems. :rolleyes:

Electronic circuitry operates best and most reliably at lower temperatures. However, todayís more complex and smaller device dimensions along with closer packing result in higher heat density and elevated operating temperatures.

Higher operating temperatures decrease the service life of the device or module. Any temperature sensitive materials used in a module can degrade and wear out more quickly. Other failure mechanisms, such as metal migration, can occur, particularly when both high temperature and humidity conditions are present. Here, metal whiskers or dendrites can grow from the conducting lines. With lines being spaced closer together in todayís devices, shorts between lines can occur and cause device failure. Additionally, when temperatures fluctuate, device interconnections and other components can fatigue from expansion and contraction due to thermal stresses and eventually fail.

Higher temperatures also increase the electrical resistance of the conducting lines within a device or module, slowing the signal speed and reducing performance. As devices become more complex, conducting paths become longer and this performance reduction is more significant.

For all of the above reasons, itís critical to minimize temperature of the electronics by designing efficient ways of carrying away their generated heat.

DOW CORNING (http://www.dowcorning.com/content/etronics/etronicswet/newtim_tutorial3.asp?DCWS=Electronics&DCWSS=)

noupf
Mar 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
I have been using my iPad for 3-4hours a day doing all kinds of stuff, it just gets warm but not very hot at all!

I'm not sure why everyone is going crazy over this small thing.

Not everybody is going crazy over such a small thing. Its the media and those who hate apple who trying to hurt this insanely high growth technology company. There are a lot of investors in the world who missed out on a meteoric rise in apples stock price over the last year. Not to mention its rise over the last 5 years. What happens to a stock that rocked almost straight up from $380 a share to almost $610 in the matter of a month?? They plant false stories and allegations against the company and its products to try and get the company's stock price back down, they try to call the newest products failures or inferior so that the stock comes back down to a point where they can get back in. Ultimately, all these BS stories that come out in order to hurt apple are from those who either cant stand to see this company continue its explosive growth or to hurt its investors and its stock price. It sounds silly, but apple is slowly taking over the world and some people cant stand it. As long as they inovate and produce products that comsumers ( and businesses ) love, they will continue to take market share away from every competitor in every field they decide to enter.......and some people out there will try to knock them down as apple continues its rise to the top.

----------

Wirelessly posted

I can tell from your post you are a huge Apple fan and basically state they can do no wrong.

Just because you may not find it a big issue with the "heat pad" does not mean other people are ok with it.

If i am to spend $500-900 on a product, it better be in ship shape condition.

so if an electronic device creates heat, its not in ship shape condition?

PS. My brand new laptop and its battery ( thats been on for 20 minutes ) is beginning to heat up my on my lap. Pretty hot too......... should I be concerned? Oh and its not an apple product either.