Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brett.F

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Manhattan, NY
I was just wondering what case everyone out there is using for their 3rd Gen iPads, if they are using one. Does anyone have any recommendations for a leather portfolio type of case, which does not add too much bulk and weight to the iPad? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I was just wondering what case everyone out there is using for their 3rd Gen iPads, if they are using one. Does anyone have any recommendations for a leather portfolio type of case, which does not add too much bulk and weight to the iPad? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

I bought the Speck SmartShell for the ipad 2 in black and a green smart cover.The shell fits perfectely on the new ipad.

HeySamantha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
I bought a handmade sleeve from etsy.com. red with white dots to go well with my white ipad :) Neither are here yet, but they should be by Friday!

I'm thinking about getting something to protect the back of my ipad though. I just don't know what. Funny that Apple doesn't give you any options.

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
thought about lots of things, but ended up with the same thing i used for my ipad 2: belkin clear case for the back and smart cover for the front. it works for me, but i can see why some people would like something more/less. my thinking is that i want minimal protection for the ipad without adding bulk.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I bought the Speck SmartShell for the ipad 2 in black and a green smart cover.The shell fits perfectely on the new ipad.

Does the Shell protect your iPad from scratches caused by the Smart Cover Magnets on the connection point? I'm curious cause I'm looking for a solution for that.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Nothing but Oberon Design for my stuff. Mine is on the way - here's a photo of it. Beautiful!

Oberon.jpg

justkiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
My housemate used only the smart cover with his ipad 2 for more than 10 months. When I checked the left-side surface today, yes, there are some scratches, however, which could be rubbed off easily just by finger. No residues left. So I ordered a smart cover for my new ipad.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My housemate used only the smart cover with his ipad 2 for more than 10 months. When I checked the left-side surface today, yes, there are some scratches, however, which could be rubbed off easily just by finger. No residues left. So I ordered a smart cover for my new ipad.

I have one for mine... Black Leather. It's really nice. I like the weight of them. I was going to install a Skinomi skin on the back to protect the aluminum... does anyone know if the Specks case would fit after a skin is installed? I love the idea of a back magnet holding the cover.

----------

Would you say it's a tight fit? Would I be able to use a skin underneath the Smartshell? Mainly to protect from the magnet...

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I have one for mine... Black Leather. It's really nice. I like the weight of them. I was going to install a Skinomi skin on the back to protect the aluminum... does anyone know if the Specks case would fit after a skin is installed? I love the idea of a back magnet holding the cover.

----------

Would you say it's a tight fit? Would I be able to use a skin underneath the Smartshell? Mainly to protect from the magnet...

I think you would be able to use a skin under it. I ordered it form amazon for $25

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.