PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded 800Ghz G4 to a Dual 1Ghz G4 Processor with Kernal Panic?

makinfilms
Mar 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
:eek:
http://www.makinworks.com/About_Me_files/shapeimage_9.png

I removed the 800Ghz G4 Processor then Replaced upgraded to Dual 1Ghz G4 Processor.

The system started with the Apple Chime and OSX 10.5.6 but then I received a kernel panic screen with errors.

Is this a OSX software nightmare?

Does the Operating System think it is trying to boot to a Single Processor? and gets confused about the Dual Processor? or was I supposed to change some settings via the sautering? scheme I have seen?

Please help....

I get White Buttons and the system just runs quiet.......

How do I get it to REINSTALL the OSX CD?

SKIPPY722 said from Fix ya "I would wipe it out and restore. But on a side note, did you reapply thermal grease for the new CPU?"

I'm adding it here but trying to get to the meat and potatoes group because I know you guys are the geniuses....here....I am IGOR......

no I did not.....is that needed? I didn't see any grease on either processor...but I would like to follow your process as I have heard that too on other system builds.......I didn't see it on this one.

I can find it at Fry's I am sure....

but can you please please tell me how to wipe it out and restore...

if the computer is not responsive....I mean I should have placed the CD in the Drive when I had the APPLE showing before the KERNAL PANIC.....

Now all I get is White Button and FAN noise.......

So I am unsure how to get back to the process of making the computer first OPEN The CD DOOR so I can PUT a CD INTO IT.....and then allowing it....

The keyboard seems unresponsive....so does the mouse....

Before it was in the programmers setting at Kernal Panic but Frozen....

So I shut down by pressing the power button.

Now when I repress the inside button for 30 secs........after unplug ofcourse....

I was going to try to RESET PRAM by holding the keys PRAM but again....I was not getting any response just the system turns on......

What should I do next to reinstall the OSX software?

thanks and mind my hump will ya? it will grow on ya! just call me "I'-GORE"

makinworks
singleton 8-)

skinniezinho
Mar 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
do you have the latest firmware on the machine?

ThunderSnake
Mar 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
no I did not.....is that needed? I didn't see any grease on either processor...but I would like to follow your process as I have heard that too on other system builds.......I didn't see it on this one.

Do not attempt another boot before doing so. For detailed instructions, read this:

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/9AE7FE0E-0CF2-4A7C-8003-489B282582BC.html

minifridge1138
Mar 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
If you didn't apply thermal paste, then you're at risk of melting the CPU.

If you're lucky, the Mac detected high temperatures and threw a kernel panic to save the CPU.

If you're not lucky, the CPU was destroyed by heat and that's causing the kernel panic.

You won't need to reinstall OSX.

reddrag0n
Mar 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
when swapping cpu's on a G4, don't forget to press the Cuda button on the logicboard for 5 seconds first.

if that doesn't help, then read the documentation that came with the cpu for updating firmware if need be.