Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I'm debating on the Apple TV. 1080P Netflix is nice, but I have a 360, PS3 that can play Netflix on my TV. The main feature for me is the AirPlay Mirroring feature. I watch a lot of videos on my iPad, and most the time I stream them to my TV via the HDMI adaptor. Would just be sooo nice to actually do this without a 7 foot HDMI cable :p I've never owned an Apple TV. Do you think it's worth the purchase if I use it 90% for mirroring only?

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
I just got the ATV3 today and set it up. I love it. Like you I wanted to fully take advantage of the mirroring and it is great. I also have ML running on my MBP and the mirroring is so great. I love not having to set up the cables. My only gripe as many others have said is that the remote is kind of a pain. But if you download Apples remote app it makes everything a lot easier. I would completely recommend it.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Ok, 1 more thing and I'll stop bugging you with over-asked questions. :p

Is the quality degraded at all vs. HDMI adaptor?
And is there any latency issues?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I use the airplay a lot. It looks great. I haven't compared it to the cable - but... it looks great. It's cool, frequently my brother will come over, whip out his iPhone and say "check this out' - it's quick, easy and quality to show it on the tv - no fuss no muss, it just works.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Airplay is a killer feature, no doubt. Not just for video, but for music too because you can play music right off your phone or iPad or computer via Apple TV straight into a home theater system without messing about with docks and cables or anything else. For only $99/£99, it's not really something to deliberate over too long. It costs more than that to fill the tank in my Grand Cherokee :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm debating on the Apple TV. 1080P Netflix is nice, but I have a 360, PS3 that can play Netflix on my TV. The main feature for me is the AirPlay Mirroring feature. I watch a lot of videos on my iPad, and most the time I stream them to my TV via the HDMI adaptor. Would just be sooo nice to actually do this without a 7 foot HDMI cable :p I've never owned an Apple TV. Do you think it's worth the purchase if I use it 90% for mirroring only?

Yes I think it's worth it. It's a nice device all around and great for AirPlay and TV watching. I have two of them now, an ATV2 and an ATV3, I like them a lot.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's $99... if you buy it and it doesn't do what you want, you can easily recover most of your money. Or better yet, purchase it from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Airplay is a killer feature, no doubt. Not just for video, but for music too because you can play music right off your phone or iPad or computer via Apple TV straight into a home theater system without messing about with docks and cables or anything else. For only $99/£99, it's not really something to deliberate over too long. It costs more than that to fill the tank in my Grand Cherokee :)

I also have a Grand Cherokee :p

I'll probably be buying an Apple TV within the next 2 weeks. Thanks for all your help guys :)

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I'll throw in.

The reason i got my Apple TV is because I have over 300 Movies and 30 TV series, all in .m4v format in my iTunes. I didnt always want to have my macbook hooked up to me TV so I spent the $99 and now it's great. Plus having Netflix and the abaility to use my MLB.tv and NBA TV accounts to watch all the games!

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I'll throw in.

The reason i got my Apple TV is because I have over 300 Movies and 30 TV series, all in .m4v format in my iTunes. I didnt always want to have my macbook hooked up to me TV so I spent the $99 and now it's great. Plus having Netflix and the abaility to use my MLB.tv and NBA TV accounts to watch all the games!

Same here.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I just purchased an apple TV. I sold my PS3 (the original "fatty"/backwards compatable model)equipment and all games to my brother and had a ton left over to buy the apple TV. I didn't play games on the PS3 much anymore and don't ever plan to. I'm not a hard core gamer like I used to be so besides streaming Netflix to it-it didn't get much use. The few games I do play are on my iPhone now. :)

Now with apple TV I can stream my iTunes library, Netflix, and make a little extra room on the entertainment center. I'M SO EXCITED!! :D

I can't wait to receive it on monday!

PDXPean

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
I'm selling my PS3 today and buying an Apple TV. I hardly ever use the blueray and while I do game, it's not often and I feel that I'm waisting my life away. I just used it for Netflix.

russell2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Not having that PS3 fan alone acting as a furnace is all the reason and then some. Mine was always noisy and even heated up a big game room and made tons of noise even after applying thermal grease twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.