Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 11, 2001
I recently bought a MacMini and went to the AppStore to buy OSX Lion Server. I have it setup to be a little office file server only. Pretty much all I need from this little box.

My situation is this. I will not be logging into it very often. I didn't add any apps other than the Server app and Toast because I need to do disc copying somewhat often. Other than that it will sit there and act solely as a file server. Because I don't log into it it has this default screen saver, which is called, Flurry.

My question is this... Does Flurry take up resources and cause the CPU to any real load? I'd rather just have the screen go blank, but that's the screen saver by default and not for my log in account. So how can I get rid of it? I just want the screen to go blank and then go to power save on the screen itself. Not the server, I want that to stay up and running. I just don't want to CPU to be under load just to make the screen look nice.

Any suggestions?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
the screensaver does use cpu, but seriously, the amount it requires is such a small percentage of what the machine has, it is not worth worrying about.

also, screensavers run at low cpu priority, so if the processor is needed for other stuff, the screensaver will just run slow while the other work is done.

its a non issue...

however, you can set the screen blanking time in the energy saver settings in system preferences (display sleep setting).

jg900ss

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Europe, and Florida
Another approach...

....i also have several minis running as servers. I do not use them often as log-in machines, except remotely. So, I have the attached monitors turned off, and thus, the screensaver is also off. The server is set to keep the disks turning for response time to requests, and one server has a UPS attached via USB for outages, just in case. I also set the servers to reboot automatically on shutdown into a standard support userid that allows for the sharing and DNS activity. This keeps them more accessible. The Macminicolo.net group in Colorado have a nice quick set of instructions for preparing a server for remote placement that you might find helpful in preparing your server for regular use, with low impact on the device and its peripherals.
http://www.macminicolo.net/faq.html
http://www.farawaymac.com/mac-server/mac-server-series-initial-setup-of-the-mac/

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.