Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

internet0nomad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
I want to reprogram Lion's Spaces function to continuously swipe in whatever direction I swipe, infinitely.

I'm thinking it may be able to stop by swiping down or hitting esc or something....

I'm really not concerned with hurting the overall computer, if a sacrifice has to be made.

How would I go about this?

Does this require alot of steps?

Can I use Xcode or terminal?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I'm really not concerned with hurting the overall computer, if a sacrifice has to be made.

Umm what the...?

First off, infinity not really possible.

Secondly, why? Wouldn't they be empty spaces if you just kept going?

EDIT: OOoo your first post ever. Making more sense.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
You can join the different spaces to a circle... that's as much infinity as you can get. Then, maybe make it scroll continuously through the spaces, instead of jumping from one desktop to the next.

How to implement it? I don't know.
Is it possible? Certainly with Linux, OSX might not allow you to do it however.

Have fun!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You won't be able to reprogram the OS. It doesn't work that way.

Also as other stated infinite in computers is impossible, you'll always run out of resources.

Not to mention, to even get close to touching graphics you need a lot of experience in the console. You'd need to start learning programming language basics, then probably object oriented concepts, then you can move to working with API's, and when you get good at that you can start looking at doing this type of thing....

...but you'll never be able to reprogram part of an OS unless its open source. Mac OS is built upon open source but its not open source itself.

truehybridx

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
You won't be able to reprogram the OS. It doesn't work that way.
...but you'll never be able to reprogram part of an OS unless its open source. Mac OS is built upon open source but its not open source itself.

As far fetched as this sounds, you could make a tweak that could accomplish that, (using MobileSubstrate for Mac :p)

Side effects would be Finder and iTunes having issues, the developer didn't finish ms due to lack of interest...

@internet0nomad: if you absolutely want to try, learn to program in objective c and cocoa, then look into method swizzling. heres an interesting article explaining it http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?MethodSwizzling
This will be an endeavor however :D

internet0nomad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
You can join the different spaces to a circle... that's as much infinity as you can get.
Perhaps infinity wasn't the right word.
In fact, that wasn't even close to the right word.... I want it to scroll in an extended fashion, lets say.
But joining the spaces in a circle would accomplish my end... how would I do that?

@internet0nomad: if you absolutely want to try, learn to program in objective c and cocoa, then look into method swizzling. heres an interesting article explaining it http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?MethodSwizzling
This will be an endeavor however :D

Thanks truehybridx... I knew that chances were that it was possible, I just wanted to know exactly how difficult it could be. I've been using the arduino language (C++ with slight differences), and been meaning to learn C for another project, so this might be my opportunity...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.