Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Personally I'm not sure

I had the Apple TV 2 and was quite pleased with it, but got the newly updated version based on the allure of 1080p. IMHO, on my 46" Samsung LED, the new 1080p on the AppleTV is only slightly noticeable; I'd quantify it as a 15% improvement in overall picture quality. Upgrading to a Denon receiver and Energy 5.1 speakers to go with the new Apple TV from my previous Sony surround-sound-in-a-box was a much more noticeable and pleasing upgrade.

Also, Airplay does not seem to be improved on the new AppleTV. I thought with the faster processor the audio and video would not be as stutter-y and clunky, but it is.

What are your opinions?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
The key here is you're asking if it was worth it to the individual. For me, absolutely yes. Watching things in 720p on a 50" screen pretty close up was getting frustrating when I'd watch cable at 1080p sometimes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It was worth it to me for the same reasons Mr. Pink stated above.

Now all I need for Apple to do is update the software to fix my podcast watched/not watched status badges. When I finish a podcast, the "unread" blue badge icon remains on all of them. This is happening on my ATV2 and the new ATV3.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Personally I'm not sure

I had the Apple TV 2 and was quite pleased with it, but got the newly updated version based on the allure of 1080p. IMHO, on my 46" Samsung LED, the new 1080p on the AppleTV is only slightly noticeable; I'd quantify it as a 15% improvement in overall picture quality. Upgrading to a Denon receiver and Energy 5.1 speakers to go with the new Apple TV from my previous Sony surround-sound-in-a-box was a much more noticeable and pleasing upgrade.

Also, Airplay does not seem to be improved on the new AppleTV. I thought with the faster processor the audio and video would not be as stutter-y and clunky, but it is.

What are your opinions?

are you sure the 'stutter'y' audio and video is processor related? I don't have that at all...but did see some of that over wifi. Since I switched to hard wire, I don't see that AT ALL. Would recommend it if you can do it.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona

With the update enabling some kind of better handling for high-profile-encoded files, all stuttering and clunking of my videos has disappeared entirely. I couldn't be happier! (Well, I could, actually, if they had a 24fps mode. Still seeing slight judder on the occasional pan.)

And this is with just plain wi-fi. I was going to have my house wired up with cat6 for now and forever to solve the video choking problem, which I also still see on my Xbox 360. But now I don't have to incur that cost. Very, very happy.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
I just picked mine up yesterday at the Apple Store for my 37" TV. I know the difference is small for a smaller TV like mine, but maybe it's my imagination, the picture looks better with the ATV3 than the ATV2. I sold the ATV2 for $75 so $24 to upgrade really isn't bad at all. I had my ATV2 since 9/2010.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I only had a first-gen :apple:TV. Hell to the yeah. I wonder where I can sell the old one either for just money or money toward another :apple:TV for my bedroom.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I only had a first-gen :apple:TV. Hell to the yeah. I wonder where I can sell the old one either for just money or money toward another :apple:TV for my bedroom.

If you don't need wireless, fit a CrystalHD card, and either patchstick it, or install something like CrystalBuntu.

I use my ATV1/Crystalbuntu daily, the JB ATV2 sits in a drawer rarely used.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
if you say worth it as in the appletv2 paid me to upgrade to the appletv3 then ya.
i sold both my appletv 2's jailbroken on ebay for 120 each. so yeah pay me to upgrade thanks.
id sell your appletv2 jailbroken(to make more money) before the appletv3's has a jailbreak. cost will go way down when that happens.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Yes and No.

Yes, because the resale market was kinda crazy and I sold all 3 of my ATV2's for over $90 each

No, because my cable provider throttles our connection so I actually have things like Netflix or Hulu set to SD quality streaming which means I have yet to see the benefits of a 1080p box. Also, one of my ATV2 boxes was jail broken so I kinda downgraded by buying a newer product.

In the end Im fine with the upgrade because when Mountain Lion is out then the increased resolution will pay off on AirPlay, but If I knew that there would be zero performance increase and product breakdowns would reveal little chance for apps then I probably wouldn't bother upgrading this gen.

stevenb

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
For me, the 1080P was what I needed. I have a calibrated Panasonic 65GT30 plasma and 720P was just not cutting it on this large screen, after watching BD content. The difference between 720 and 1080P is reason for me to switch. I have a FiOS Internet connection at 35MB and it sends Netflix 1080P content perfectly. I am keeping the ATV2 as I also have a Panasonic 42X3 plasma in my bedroom that runs at 720P. On a smaller tv, 720P looks great. I know that some people will disagree with that though. On the larger screens, you really need 1080P and the ATV3 just works. For $99.00, I can stream my movies, music and pictures from my iTunes account without wires. That is is huge plus.

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
For me, the 1080P was what I needed. I have a calibrated Panasonic 65GT30 plasma and 720P was just not cutting it on this large screen, after watching BD content. The difference between 720 and 1080P is reason for me to switch. I have a FiOS Internet connection at 35MB and it sends Netflix 1080P content perfectly. I am keeping the ATV2 as I also have a Panasonic 42X3 plasma in my bedroom that runs at 720P. On a smaller tv, 720P looks great. I know that some people will disagree with that though. On the larger screens, you really need 1080P and the ATV3 just works. For $99.00, I can stream my movies, music and pictures from my iTunes account without wires. That is is huge plus.

What he said!
The usefulness of 1080p is contingent on the type of display one has connected to the apple tv.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I got it for the reasons mentioned here but I really want new content. Most important is Hulu and HBO Go and MAX Go and Network Channels would really be nice. Also, would prefer not to have to Jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.