Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Just the other day I deleted around 30 gigabytes worth of data on my HDD, around a week later I got a notification saying my startup disk is full... That's impossible, I didn't download any files in the past week. I just deleted After Effects CS4(955.55mb) because I have CS5 and found it pointless to have CS4.... Two minutes later I only have 53.8mb left on my HDD. WTF? What's going on? How can it be resolved?

Please Respond Soon,

-H :apple:

Last edited:

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

Thanks, Downloaded Disk Inventory X, that's all I really have room for now. It's indexing the drives file contents now.... I'll post back with results/questions... Thanks again

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Found the problem.... had over 35 Gigabytes worth of mail messages.... I don't see why the Mac Mail app would store them on the HDD....shouldn't they be on the Mail Client's server? So, I deleted the files and had to set up mail again. Anyway, problem resolved.... for now anyway. The process was very simple, I can believe I didn't do that in the first place! Thanks for showing me those programs! Disk inventory X, great tool. Thanks!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.