Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
So I was having issues ripping a DVD, Handbrake said I needed VLC so I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version. Then Handbrake said I need VLC or the VLC I had was not compatible.

I had HB 0.9.5.

So I decided to remove everything and start over.

I downloaded Handbrake 0.9.6 and it said I needed .....

libdvdcss.pkg

So I went to the site and downloaded that package.

Installed the package and was informed Installation OK.

Fired up Handbrake and tried to scan a DVD.

NO LUCK !!!

Just kinda hangs.

Ideas?????

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Well not like it is a major issue. I have another iMac without Lion but with working Handbrake. I wanted to update some movie rips so I pulled out the original disks and got to it, but no joy.

So for now I will load up the older rips on the Apple TV and watch them.

Will redo the rips on the older iMac.

It will be nice to get it all working on the new one though.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So I was having issues ripping a DVD, Handbrake said I needed VLC so I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version. Then Handbrake said I need VLC or the VLC I had was not compatible.

I had HB 0.9.5.

So I decided to remove everything and start over.

I downloaded Handbrake 0.9.6 and it said I needed .....

libdvdcss.pkg

So I went to the site and downloaded that package.

Installed the package and was informed Installation OK.

Fired up Handbrake and tried to scan a DVD.

NO LUCK !!!

Just kinda hangs.

Ideas?????

The package you downloaded is only need to allow decryption and frankly, it's not a very good package for that. I think it only removes CSS encryption and there are lots of other types of encryption out there. For a total Mac solution, I would recommend using MakeMKV to rip to mkv. Then use HB to transcode to mp4. MakeMKV includes decryption ability and is kept up to date. If you operate on the Windows side at all AnyDVDHD for decryption is the best (but not the cheapest). MakeMKV is free while in beta and that has been going on for a while. DVDfab is another option. Free for DVD but payware for blu ray.

I am currently using Handbrake 0.9.6 on a MacBook Pro with no issues. I did not download the decryption library package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.