PDA

View Full Version : Best android phone available?

Walter Bell
Mar 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Most of you people are going to say WTF is this thread doing here, but bare with me. I have a iPhone 4S with AT&T unlimited data. After getting throttled last month since I have decided to jump ship to Verizon since they are doing double data promotions on LTE (going to do 10gb+tethering for $50). Idea is here that I can lock in this rate for when the LTE iPhone comes out.

So I'm curious, what phone would you have now if the iPhone wasn't available? I'm looking at the Nexus or Razr Maxx. Can't decide between these two.

Thanks!

TG1
Mar 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
If you can, I'd really wait for either the HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S III. They're a clear step above anything out there right now.

taedouni
Mar 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
The nexus has horrible signal. The rezound is a great phone that is usually overlooked.

groupersandwich
Mar 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
I've heard good things about the Razr Maxx.

Walter Bell
Mar 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
TG1,

The sooner I leave AT&T the better. My sole intent is to lock in the deal for data on a 4g phone so I can have that for the LTE iPhone (which IS coming this fall...I hope).

Will look into the rezound.

DakotaGuy
Mar 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
My recommendation would be the Droid RAZR MAXX. The hardware is well built and looks nice. It has great reception and has some cool things like Smart Actions and MotoCast. MotoCast is a way of wireless syncing between your computer and phone and also works over a cellular network. It is compatible on both Mac and PC and works well. Last, the battery life is amazing! It has better battery life running on 4G LTE then most smart phones have on 3G. The only negative is that there will be a wait possibly until summer for Android 4.0 ICS, but the current build 2.3.6 is rock solid stable.

Seriously this is a great phone. Great performance and awesome battery life without needing some ugly thick extended battery. The way I see it is why have 4G if you can't really use the phone the way it was designed? The MAXX solves that problem and then some.

4G LTE is great and it's so fast, but a battery hog. I had the first RAZR with a battery like most 4G phones have and I had to be either very careful with my use during the day, bring along a charger or turn it to 3G only. Phones that have user replaceable batteries might have an extended battery and different battery door available, but IMHO they are ugly and make the phones too thick. The MAXX keeps a profile that is thinner then the iPhone 4S even with a huge 3300 mAh battery. Anyhow get whatever you like, but I can't say enough good things about this phone especially if you really want to use it as a 4G device at all times.

apolloa
Mar 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Most of you people are going to say WTF is this thread doing here, but bare with me. I have a iPhone 4S with AT&T unlimited data. After getting throttled last month since I have decided to jump ship to Verizon since they are doing double data promotions on LTE (going to do 10gb+tethering for $50). Idea is here that I can lock in this rate for when the LTE iPhone comes out.

So I'm curious, what phone would you have now if the iPhone wasn't available? I'm looking at the Nexus or Razr Maxx. Can't decide between these two.

Thanks!

You mistyped your google search I think????

haha, anyway, from what I've rad HTC One X and of course the Galaxy S3 although check both devices before purchase are not too big for you in physical size.

onthecouchagain
Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
Why is ATT so bad?

Certinfy
Mar 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
Definitely wait for the SGS3.

Personally can't wait for it and if it looks anything like the apparent leaked images of it then I'll definitely be getting it.

nickchallis92
Mar 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
Definitely wait for the SGS3.

Personally can't wait for it and if it looks anything like the apparent leaked images of it then I'll definitely be getting it.

same, with the way samsung is going, it will be the best phone on the market for at least a year. The SGS2 is testiment to that. It is still the fastest phone out there on the market.

MattMJB0188
Mar 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
OP:

Thoroughly think this over. I recently did this too and really regretted it. I went with the Nexus and it was so bad I nearly threw it out the window. Verizon's 4G LTE is awesome when it wants to be. Sometimes I could pull 35Mbps down and others 3Mbps down. I didn't find it to go very far and the fact that their is nothing in between their 3G and 4G is not good. Their 4G LTE would cut in and out and I actually didn't find call quality to be that good on Verizon. 3GB is plenty for data and once the LTE iPhone hits you'll get 5GB with your unlimited data plan. I'd hang onto that as long as you can.

Unless you get some HUGE discount with Verizon, I'd stick with AT&T. In the end, they're the better choice (coverage permitting of course). Good Luck

einmusiker
Mar 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
I switched to verizon from att with ZERO regrets. I have unlimited lte with the thunderbolt rooted i get free unlimited tethering. Im waiting for the galaxy note to come to verizon that phone/tablet looks perfect for my usage

Fusion79
Mar 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
My vote would be for the Razr Maxx also. The Galaxy Nexus is a peice of junk. Bad radios, very few accessories, bad battery life, and cheap feel. I tried one for about a week and I also had an issue of the phone muting itself when I was on a call and the other side could not here me, and the only way to fix it was to hang up the call and dial it again.

TG1
Mar 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
TG1,

The sooner I leave AT&T the better. My sole intent is to lock in the deal for data on a 4g phone so I can have that for the LTE iPhone (which IS coming this fall...I hope).

I hear ya, WB. I had similar motivations when I jumped to my Razr a few months ago. If you must jump now, the Razr Maxx, Nexus, and HTC Rezound are your best bets. All have their advantages and disadvantages. What's most important to you? Display? Battery life? Latest software?

Rocko1
Mar 23, 2012, 11:01 AM
Stay away from Moto. Horrible updates horrible service.

batting1000
Mar 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus. The HTC One X will be the best when it's released, though.

EDIT: Oh, you said Verizon. Galaxy Nexus it is then.

DakotaGuy
Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Stay away from Moto. Horrible updates horrible service.

What good are updates when your battery is dead in a few hours from running hard on an LTE network?

Android 4.0 ICS is coming to the RAZR and RAZR MAXX in the near future. The Google-Motorola merger is just about finalized and I think we will see a lot of things changing as far as software is concerned. With that said the current build of 2.3.6 is rock solid stable on these things.

Stealthipad
Mar 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
TG1,

You are going to have a long wait as ALL the carriers are going to be increasing their fees and charges for bandwidth. There is not specail unlimited plan around the corner.

Bandwidth is NOT an "entitlement" :p

Tarzanman
Mar 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
There's no one best phone. Some have keyboards, some have LTE, some have nice screens with high resolution, some have better battery life, some are waterproof and shock-proof, some are stock OS, others have hardware acceleration for watching divX movies, etc.

With Android you need to pick the features that are the most important to you.

My phone is a 4" device which is rooted. It can play almost any media i throw at it (including mkv's with subtitles). Its not as super-awesome as some of the newer devices, but it has TV out (RCA), tethering, and I have 3 spare batteries for it (for when I'm on the road and can't plug in) so it does 99% of what I need it to do.

I considered upgrading to a Galaxy Nexus, but at the end of the day I realized that I don't really need to drop $500 on a phone just yet. One year from now almost everything coming out will have LTE... so it might make more sense for me to invest in a waterproof/shockproofphone for when I hit the beach or the amusement park.

JasonR
Mar 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm in a similar dilemma. I am on Verizon with an unlimited plan on the iPhone...and I want that unlimited 4G so bad but whenever I've used an Android phone I've always started missing the iphone. Problem is I have a Macbook Air, iPad, and iPhone and they work so well together. Ugh!!! lol

Do the double your data promotions apply to iPad LTE plans?

I want so bad to be able to use my phone SIM for unlimited LTE in my Phone and/or iPad.

Edited to add: I also don't want to lose the awesome camera on the 4S. Damn the 4S and it's lack of LTE

Walter Bell
Mar 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
From most of what I read I think I am going to pick up the razr maxx.

As for bandwidth entitlement, in no way do I feel entitled to something I haven't earned. But I pay for unlimited and have had it since the OG iPhone. I don't do anything crazy but listen to pandora, surf forums, email, Dropbox, and maybe a YouTube once a week or so. The fact is, these things are getting more data intensive, thus my data usage has gone up. After getting throttled and my phone being completely unusable, there is no other choice but to go to a tiered plan. 10GB for $50 is awesome. Plus it includes wireless hotspot. Here is the catch, I would love to keep my unlimited but pay more for a higher throttle cap. That will never happen.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

DakotaGuy
Mar 23, 2012, 06:04 PM
From most of what I read I think I am going to pick up the razr maxx.

As for bandwidth entitlement, in no way do I feel entitled to something I haven't earned. But I pay for unlimited and have had it since the OG iPhone. I don't do anything crazy but listen to pandora, surf forums, email, Dropbox, and maybe a YouTube once a week or so. The fact is, these things are getting more data intensive, thus my data usage has gone up. After getting throttled and my phone being completely unusable, there is no other choice but to go to a tiered plan. 10GB for $50 is awesome. Plus it includes wireless hotspot. Here is the catch, I would love to keep my unlimited but pay more for a higher throttle cap. That will never happen.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

You will be happy with the MAXX. It is nice well built hardware and battery life on LTE is a big deal especially if you like streaming music or watching videos. In fact, you will probably end up doing more and using more data then you have in the past because the thing is like the Energizer bunny... it goes and goes. The only drawbacks is that some have complained about the screen, but it looks good to me and the colors are nice and bright. The other thing is that you will have to wait awhile for Android 4.0, but the current 2.3.6 is very stable and Moto has a few nice features like Smart Actions and MotoCast that you will enjoy.

The MAXX is the best smartphone I have ever owned, but maybe that is because I can actually use it and not worry all day about properly managing my battery so I can get home and charge it. When you can actually just use it like it was designed to be used that makes all the difference.

Walter Bell
Mar 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
It should hold me over till this fall when apple releases the new phone. Excited about having a bigger screen.

labman
Mar 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'd ask this question on a Android forum but that probably just me!

Walter Bell
Mar 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Nah. Most of those people hate the iPhone. All my android friends bash my phone. I came here because I want to see what other iPhone users would choose of it wasn't available.

Also,

What do you do labman? Are you a Med tech or phleb? I work in a lab within a hospital :).

cynics
Mar 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
I have the og razr which was my personal phone before my work got me a 4S. I was really torn between it and the nexus at the time. Samsung has always had week radios which is obviously important in a phone. I really liked it a lot. However it seems a little wider then it needs to be vs the competition.

Aside from that I love it. Moto has great hardware. Worked like a champ, I would have random issues but no more then my current 4S.

Anyway so I'd recommend the Maxx.

b24pgg
Mar 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
There's no "best" Android device because it depends what features are important to you. Things like screen size, screen resolution, physical keyboard, locked/unlocked bootloader, developer community activity, build quality, battery life, etc. are all factors.

What features are most important for you?

einmusiker
Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
If I may... I think what the op means is the best android phone from an iphone users perspective? I would also be curious to know what the mac/iphone community thinks is the best android phone that relates to the quality of iphone?

M5RahuL
Mar 24, 2012, 12:45 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Razr Max on VZW and switch between the 4S and Sammy Galaxy SII on Sprint. The Galaxy S2 is an amazing device too!!

If you must switch asap, def. consider the Razr Max!

Walter Bell
Mar 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
If I may... I think what the op means is the best android phone from an iphone users perspective? I would also be curious to know what the mac/iphone community thinks is the best android phone that relates to the quality of iphone?

This man gets what I'm saying! I want to leave AT&T, lock in the 10GB/$50 which requires a 4G phone. Since android is my only choice, what would other iPhone people pick up?

Razr maxx otw!

Kev052683
Mar 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
I just switched over to Verizon from AT&T this past weekend. Not the best timing with iPhone 5 in October(ish), Galaxy S3 some time soon, etc., but I can only assume I'll just pay full price for a phone later in the year.

When I switched over, the Nexus had caught my eye. I've had an iPhone since the original, and it was/is getting a bit old/boring. The Nexus had a bigger screen, completely customizable and just looked absolutely beautiful. With ICS involved, I wanted to give it a go. It's Wednesday, and I'm back on an iPhone.

The Nexus software is awesome. There are literally limitless possibilities on customizing this phone for yourself with widgets, live wallpaper and the App drawer. With the iPhone... change your wallpaper if you want to customize. I chose the Nexus just because it was considered the "Vanilla" ICS, and Verizon/Samsung didn't bloat down the OS with additional stuff.

However, the radio antenna was absolutely horrible. I never had a signal when I was in a building, and this is my PHONE. This thing makes an unbelievable pocket computer, but when I require a phone for work and this thing can't make a phone call, it's useless to me.

Long story short, wait for the SGS3 if you can and see what it has to offer. I'm going to look at the SGS3, the iPhone 5 and the next Nexus and see what they have to offer when they come out.

pooleman
Mar 28, 2012, 10:54 AM

Best Android I've seen.

JasonR
Mar 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Razr Max on VZW and switch between the 4S and Sammy Galaxy SII on Sprint. The Galaxy S2 is an amazing device too!!

If you must switch asap, def. consider the Razr Max!

Are you on contract on all lines?

I really want to switch between my iPhone 4S and Razr Maxx...but don't want to be in ANOTHER contract. lol

silversun
Mar 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
Currently, I haven't seen any phone better than Galaxy S2 in term of performance, followed is Galaxy Nexus or whatever Samsung flagship is. Samsung is the best Android phone manufacturer in my opinion, I hate their design though:D
I dont know about Droid Razr Maxx but the normal one lags a lot:p. The screen use Pentile matrix so I dont like it either:D.

Dmunjal
Mar 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Verizon: RAZR MAXX
AT&T: Samsung SkyRocket

ICS just leaked for the SkyRocket yesterday and it looks great.

M5RahuL
Mar 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Are you on contract on all lines?

I really want to switch between my iPhone 4S and Razr Maxx...but don't want to be in ANOTHER contract. lol

Yeah, but Sprint and AT&T are business lines and VZW is my personal..

I really like the 4S [ except the Slow Network :p ] .. If I had to choose between the 4S and the Maxx, I'd keep the iPhone for reliability/stability [ of the OS not service ] Android is fun, and has come a long way.. but it doesn't feel complete or as tightly knit as the iOS. And, it's not because it's not as simple as iOS [ I've always been a Nokia lover, so coming from Symbian, Android was easy as cake ]... I just wouldn't feel confident carrying an Android as my solo device!

Dmunjal
Mar 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Buy a Skyrocket on CL for about $300 and swap SIMs between the 4S and Skyrocket. Right now, it's the only ICS phone on ATT LTE. Except the HTC Vivid but that phone sucks.

JasonR
Mar 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but Sprint and AT&T are business lines and VZW is my personal..

I really like the 4S [ except the Slow Network :p ] .. If I had to choose between the 4S and the Maxx, I'd keep the iPhone for reliability/stability [ of the OS not service ] Android is fun, and has come a long way.. but it doesn't feel complete or as tightly knit as the iOS. And, it's not because it's not as simple as iOS [ I've always been a Nokia lover, so coming from Symbian, Android was easy as cake ]... I just wouldn't feel confident carrying an Android as my solo device!

Good to know, thanks!

macbook pro i5
Mar 28, 2012, 11:51 PM

Best Android I've seen.

Yeah......http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=639&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=xQ0vTWIabqbn_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/06/iphone-4-screen-cracks.html&docid=mpAsfbABsn61kM&imgurl=http://cdn.iphonehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone-shattered.jpg&w=450&h=329&ei=COpzT62QH8eViAeZsOnjDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=849&vpy=102&dur=772&hovh=192&hovw=263&tx=196&ty=110&sig=116872152628349093264&page=1&tbnh=147&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

einmusiker
Mar 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
this thread needs a poll

DakotaGuy
Mar 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
This man gets what I'm saying! I want to leave AT&T, lock in the 10GB/$50 which requires a 4G phone. Since android is my only choice, what would other iPhone people pick up?

Razr maxx otw!

Did you get your MAXX yet? I'm going on 48 hours without charging!

mbell1975
Mar 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
I picked up a Galaxy Note a few days ago. It's the 7th Android phone I have owned and one of the best. Just as good ad the Galaxy S2 but bigger.

DakotaGuy
Mar 31, 2012, 02:29 PM
Rumor has it Android 4.0 ICS is coming to the RAZR and RAZR MAXX in a few days. Good news!
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/30/verizon-droid-razr-maxx-rezound-android-update-verizon-details/

VulchR
Mar 31, 2012, 03:44 PM
Most of you people are going to say WTF is this thread doing here....

No offense or anything, but, actually, yes, I did think that. :)

cdmoore74
Apr 1, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have a Galaxy Nexus but I only recommend it to hackers and people not afraid to root. It's the only way to unleash it's full potential. Otherwise I'd say wait. Getting so close to HTC one and Samsung Galaxy S3 but I'm not sure if their coming to Verizon. As for Motorola I personally do not trust them. They placed Android on the map with the original Droid and Droid X but everything after that never lived up to the same reputation. I'm waiting for the Verizon Samsung Note "aka Journal" because once you get the taste of big screen phones the thirst does not stop.
I would say wait for the iPhone 5 but I have this feeling it's not going to be a hit. If Apple increases the screen they have to increase the resolution resulting in more power requirements (look no further than ipad 3). And with LTE and the current A5 your going to see a bigger phone with a larger battery. Option 2 would be to keep the same old 3.5 inch display and add LTE but you still need a larger battery thus increasing the size of the phone. Many people are getting tired of that 3.5 inch display and I don't see LTE saving the day. And let's not forget that iOS is old in the tooth. How many times can you add small incremental features before the entire experience gets boring.

treyjustice
Apr 2, 2012, 12:14 AM
I'm currently using a galaxy nexus as well ^

I like it but I agree you must root and trying out different rome and kernels to make it worth while. I still prefer my iPhone 4s though.... I also have played with the rzr and it is nice. Surprisingly thin!

edit: I disagree with the big screen thing. I like a big screen but I like my iPhone screen just as much as a bigger in fact sometimes I like it more. If I need a bigger screen I just use my iPad

b24pgg
Apr 2, 2012, 07:09 AM
Verizon: RAZR MAXX
AT&T: Samsung SkyRocket
I agree with this

Invincibilizer
Apr 2, 2012, 06:44 PM
Verizon- HTC Rezound but I would wait for the HTC one series

Walter Bell
Apr 3, 2012, 07:45 AM
After much back and forth I have decided to cancel the razr maxx transfer. Unfortunately I played with a galaxy note and it's all I want now. The screen is amazing! Will post when I pick it up tomorrow.

Steve121178
Apr 3, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'd choose the new HTC One S.

0dev
Apr 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
HTC One X. That thing is a beast, and with the unlockable bootloader it's certainly the high-end phone to get over the Samsung SIII.

Walter Bell
Apr 4, 2012, 02:15 AM
Picked up my note today. Still adjusting and tinkering with it here and there. The battery takes fir ever to charge, but all else is good.

Adjusting to android is the biggest thing for me.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 4, 2012, 09:29 PM
HTC One X. That thing is a beast, and with the unlockable bootloader it's certainly the high-end phone to get over the Samsung SIII.

Topping out at 16GB of non-expandable storage is going to be a sticking point for a LOT of people.

0dev
Apr 5, 2012, 09:49 AM
Topping out at 16GB of non-expandable storage is going to be a sticking point for a LOT of people.

It comes with 25GB free Dropbox space and TBH who actually needs to keep over 16GB of data in their phone anyway?

ugahairydawgs
Apr 5, 2012, 09:57 AM
It comes with 25GB free Dropbox space and TBH who actually needs to keep over 16GB of data in their phone anyway?

I'm not sure what TBH is, but I only have 13GB available on my 64GB 4S. I like having my music (all 30+GB of it) with me and really have no desire to stream it with the lack of true unlimited data plans. Then you add in apps, which seem to get bigger and bigger every couple of months and the space starts running out pretty quick.

0dev
Apr 5, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure what TBH is, but I only have 13GB available on my 64GB 4S. I like having my music (all 30+GB of it) with me and really have no desire to stream it with the lack of true unlimited data plans. Then you add in apps, which seem to get bigger and bigger every couple of months and the space starts running out pretty quick.

Over 30GB music? Come on, there's no need to have all that on your phone, just put the stuff you listen to often on there and update your collection when needed.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 5, 2012, 12:44 PM
Over 30GB music? Come on, there's no need to have all that on your phone, just put the stuff you listen to often on there and update your collection when needed.

Why in the world would I want to have to constantly update my iPhone to change around my music?

0dev
Apr 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
Why in the world would I want to have to constantly update my iPhone to change around my music?

How much music do you listen to in one day? I guess you must have at most 100 songs you actually listen to at any one time. No point having over 30GB worth.

decafjava
Apr 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
How much music do you listen to in one day? I guess you must have at most 100 songs you actually listen to at any one time. No point having over 30GB worth.

Smart playlists, that's how I manage rotating stuff onto my phone.

ugahairydawgs
Apr 5, 2012, 08:53 PM

Not much, but my tastes in what I want to listen to changes all of the time. Usually it involves me scrolling through my library and finding something I haven't listened to in a while.

Could I get by with 16GB? Sure. It would be a pain, but I could do it. Don't really see why it would be necessary though. Flash storage is getting cheaper as time goes on. Really no reason not to have higher capacities.

robertjones
Apr 6, 2012, 01:59 AM
Galaxy S II or Galaxy Nexus. The HTC One X will be the best when it's released, though.

EDIT: Oh, you said Verizon. Galaxy Nexus it is then.

I choose Galaxy Nexus.

Walter Bell
Apr 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
Well the note is back at the AT&T store. As much as I tried to like android, I just couldn't. Here are my thoughts:

1) the overall size is amazing actually. I loved the big screen. I wish the note had a higher pixel density as the screen was nowhere near as sharp. One of the biggest drawbacks of android is that none of the app developers take advantage of the higher res screen.

2) Android OS just isn't my thing. Not going to comment as its obviously biased.

3) Battery wasn't bad for the size. Phone was super fast and any lag I felt was mainly due to software I felt.

4) call quality was amazing. Speed was good. No issues here.

If you can live with android, this phone is amazing. I can't, so now I'm back with my puny iPhone.

SteveyAppleSeed
Apr 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
HTC One X if AT&T. Galaxy Nexus if Verizon. EVO 4G LTE if Sprint. Basically either something Krait based or something with second gen Exynos (Samsung, likely only to be found in SGS3)

stevento
Apr 6, 2012, 10:55 PM
I love my LG Optimus S, with unlimited 3G on Sprint. Android version 2.3.3. No 4G, but it fits in my pocket very well. Other phones are larger and take up more pocket space and are harder to carry around. And I don't like phones with full slide out physical keyboards. That's just cumbersome.

Walter Bell
Apr 7, 2012, 06:30 AM
Well I ordered the galaxy nexus on Verizon. I can't stand ATT. I drop so many calls where I live and the data speeds are horrendous. Plus being throttled sucks.

Locked in 10gb LTE/ for $41 with corporate discount. Can't wait to try LTE.

Invincibilizer
Apr 7, 2012, 08:23 AM
HTC One X is currently the best Android phone available,

Samsung Galaxy S3 will be the best Android Phone available in a few months