PDA

View Full Version : Developer Utilities in 10.7

Senor Cuete
Mar 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
I recently "upgraded" to 10.7. I installed XCode 4.3.1 for 10.7. XCode is has been moved to the Applications folder and now there is no Developer folder. I want to use the developer utilities but I can't find them. They seem to be there because when I double click on my .icns file in my project's folder it opens Icon Composer but I can't find Icon Composer in the Applications directories or by using the Finder's search dialog. Where did they hide the developer utilities?

JoshDC
Mar 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Right click Xcode in the dock Open Developer Tool > Icon composer.

Additional tools that don't appear can be downloaded separately from the Apple developer website.

Senor Cuete
Mar 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks

I can't right click with my one button mouse but I can open the application bundle by control clicking it and selecting Show Package Contents.

I can't believe that they would hide them anywhere, much less in an application bundle. Apple has really lost its way with 10.7 - dumbing down the finder, etc. I really wonder what's wrong with them.

AlanShutko
Mar 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Why are you using a one-button mouse (and where did you find one)? Apple's been shipping two-button mice with Macs for years, or you can buy one separately.

Apple made the change so that all the developer stuff was contained in one app bundle so that it could be easily downloaded from the Mac App Store.

Senor Cuete
Mar 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
Why are you using a one-button mouse (and where did you find one)? Apple's been shipping two-button mice with Macs for years, or you can buy one separately.

Apple made the change so that all the developer stuff was contained in one app bundle so that it could be easily downloaded from the Mac App Store.

A one button mouse came with my less-than-one year old iMac. They ship a one-button mouse that does gestures. Not everyone likes a track pad, a mouse with a wheel in it, a two button mouse, gestures or any particular way of interacting with the finder. This WAS the great thing about the Mac before OS 10.7 - you could use it in any way that made sense to you, your level of expertise and what you had to get done. Now they've castrated the finder so it wants to open only one window at once, uses retarded scroll bars with no way to page down or down arrow and use apps with incomprehensible icons with no text (violating the human interface guidelines). One window apps like XCode and full screen apps are stupid. 10.7 is a huge step backward because someone at apple wants me to pretend it's an iPad, iPhone or PC and use it in a particular way that they like so they took away functionality that was useful.

Yes, it's easy to download an app bundle from the store. Too bad there are apps hidden in the bundle that you don't know about. They have never hidden apps in an app bundle before and it's stupid.

Why dumb down the Mac? For retards moving from the iPad/iPhone? What about power users like Mac developers who use all of the features that made the Mac great? 10.7 SUX.

Here's a great idea for you Mac developers: a system extension that recreates the 10.6 finder interface. I'll pay you for it.

AlanShutko
Mar 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
A one button mouse came with my less-than-one year old iMac. They ship a one-button mouse that does gestures.

System Preferences->Mouse->Point and Click->Secondary click.

Nemox
Mar 25, 2012, 07:19 AM
I am sorry, But you call your self a power user/Developer? you sir. make me laugh!

secondary click can be enabled in preferences. the scroll is still there, you can still scroll with the mouse.

pageup/down still exists, Hold FN+arrow keys

as for finder, all the stuff you say you miss is still there. Only a right click away.

the scrollbar that disappears free some windows space. when you scroll with your mouse / trackpad what ever it will show up, it even shows up if you are using arrow keys to scroll.

One window apps like Xcode, uhm as far I can remember, Xcode has always been a one window app?, fullscreen mode, some finds it useful to avoid distractions and since interface builder is now a part of Xcode you don't have to exit it. but lets be honest, you don't have to use it if you don't like it, its just an option

If you had taken your time to read change logs from Xcode updates you would have notices that they bundles stuff in the new app.. jesus.

Mac isnt dumped down, it has just evolved, the only thing that is dumped down is the damn exposť which i miss greatly, but as a developer I adapt or end like an old dinosaur. IF you are an developer YOU of all people should know this.

So if you actually took your time to investigate how things work in 10.7 I don't say that it is a great OS, But I embrace change and adapt to it, rather than rant over things that wont change, I develop new workflows based on the tools given to me. You would have noticed all these things.

chown33
Mar 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Now they've castrated the finder so it wants to open only one window at once, ...

Finder > Preferences > General > Always open folders in a new window (checkbox).

This checkbox has existed in this location since 10.1 (I just checked).