PDA

View Full Version : too many quote notifications?

charlieegan3
Mar 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
I have been replied to twice from this user yet I have many quote notifications? ( see picture )

all the quote notifications in the picture link to the very same post, and I appear to have a similar number of notifications to the number of replies in that post?

Not sure why this is.

SandboxGeneral
Mar 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have been replied to twice from this user yet I have many quote notifications? ( see picture )

all the quote notifications in the picture link to the very same post, and I appear to have a similar number of notifications to the number of replies in that post?

Not sure why this is.

This reason is that, that user used the multi-quote option on this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14597266&postcount=58), plus made several individual posts within a very short period of time and was auto-merged by the forum. So every time that occurred, you received a quote notification.

charlieegan3
Mar 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
but this shouldn't happen should it?

r.j.s
Mar 23, 2012, 04:49 PM

It notified you so many times because of the way the poster did it ... they made several consecutive posts which were merged by the forum - every time they added a post, the system merged it (which created a new "quote"), and notified you that you have been quoted in that "new" merged post.

It won't happen very often.

SandboxGeneral
Mar 23, 2012, 04:50 PM

It's neither here nor there as it's a configuration issue. An admin can answer whether it can be configured differently or not.

charlieegan3
Mar 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
okay thanks for clearing that up.

Doctor Q
Mar 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
It's neither here nor there as it's a configuration issue. An admin can answer whether it can be configured differently or not.
I don't know of a configuration option that would avoid this quirk.