PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air as replacement for your old pc

Bonkadonka
Mar 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm considering to buy an 11 inch macbook air as a replacement for my old hp notebook. Is it a wise thing to do because 11 inch is a little small don't you think? I can't buy a macbook pro or 13 inch air because my spending limit is 975 euro. I'll use the computer just for listening music (not that much), school and just browsing the web. And should I buy a mac or just pc. I'll appreciate your advice.

Scepticalscribe
Mar 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
Both the 13" and the 11" are exceptionally portable - a big consideration; the SSD is extremely fast and the screen resolution is excellent. Personally, I have a 13" MBA, and it has been my only computer since I sold my MBP last year.

Your stated budget allows you to consider refurb MBAs, and one or two 13" MBA's come in at around the price you mentioned. Take a look at the apple website at the refurb section - they are as good as new and come with the exact same warranty as a 'new' Apple computers.

Re size, only you can decide what you can live with and what you need from a computer. I'd suggest that you take a look at both of them, and play around with them both, in an Apple store and see which you prefer.

Cheers and good luck

tom vilsack
Mar 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
-what model/stats is your hp notebook? whats wrong with continuing using it? (sometimes the simple effort of adding more ram,clean install of lastest windows can make all the difference...without spending lots of money)

-you mention you mainly want for music web ect...how much music do you have? will it all fit on a the 64/128 ssd thats within your budget? if not is it practical to also have a external harddrive?

Bonkadonka
Mar 24, 2012, 01:25 AM
-what model/stats is your hp notebook? whats wrong with continuing using it? (sometimes the simple effort of adding more ram,clean install of lastest windows can make all the difference...without spending lots of money)

-you mention you mainly want for music web ect...how much music do you have? will it all fit on a the 64/128 ssd thats within your budget? if not is it practical to also have a external harddrive?

Well it's not really my laptop, it's my mother her laptop and my whole family uses it. So now my mom said that I can have an own laptop.
About my music collection, it's not really much just 16 gb. So yes it will all fit on the 64gb ssd.

----------

Both the 13" and the 11" are exceptionally portable - a big consideration; the SSD is extremely fast and the screen resolution is excellent. Personally, I have a 13" MBA, and it has been my only computer since I sold my MBP last year.

Your stated budget allows you to consider refurb MBAs, and one or two 13" MBA's come in at around the price you mentioned. Take a look at the apple website at the refurb section - they are as good as new and come with the exact same warranty as a 'new' Apple computers.

Re size, only you can decide what you can live with and what you need from a computer. I'd suggest that you take a look at both of them, and play around with them both, in an Apple store and see which you prefer.

Cheers and good luck

Thanks for the advice of going for refurbished macs, but where I live ( I live in Holland) there aren't any refurbished macs in the online apple store. But I will definitely take a look at the macbooks in the local electronics store.