Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I have a couple of old macs and I plan to get some of the software to go with these, because chances are I will eventually have to restore the software, or something along those lines. I am buying this used, from eBay, so the disks will have been used to install software before. Because they have already been used and they will probably be in a single pack set (not family pack), will I be able to use them on my computers? Thank you!

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Yes, you can install the OS as many times as you want. Apple's not like Microsoft with its activation/serial numbers, etc. You can theoretically install OS X indefinitely with a single disk, but it's "technically" not legal...but the way I look at it, if Apple doesn't offer the disk for sale anymore, I don't feel bad using my Leopard, Tiger, and Panther retail disks for my own uses. A lot of retailers online like to rip people off by charging full retail prices for OS X disks that have already been used before...I'm not wasting my money on a disk that's already been used when I have one already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.