Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegendsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
I'm looking for a quality, easy to use charging stand for the new iPad. It would be nice if the stand could hold the iPad in both a horizontal and vertical position. Any suggestions?

polo2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
my recommendation...

I purchased an Electrostand when a friend showed me his. It does pretty much everything you would want an iPad stand to do. It holds, rotates, swivels, etc. and it also charges. And it has a touch light for some mood lighting. It sells for under $60...you can't go wrong.

Here is there site: http://www.electrostand.com

LegendsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion.

This looks very nice.

Does the stand charge the iPad while it is in the stand?

Does the iPad go in and out of the stand easily?

For some reason the link and the company's main site is down right now. I'll try again later. Thanks for the referral. Any other suggestions?

Cayria

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
An AirHolder?

I think it's good, it has a built-in function and it's stable, extendable and well, I think it fits your requirement... it's an AirHolder. Just got launched recently. Take a look. google it :) I hope I helped :)

LegendsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
The Electrostand web site is now up.

Both the Electostand and the Airholder look great. Thanks for the awesome suggestions. Any other suggestions? I may purchase one of these this week ....:eek:..... or maybe both :D

The only additional item I was looking for is that both of these stands require plugging the iPad into the charger by a cord. I was hoping the iPad would sit in the charger instead of plugging in a cord.

polo2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion.

This looks very nice.

Does the stand charge the iPad while it is in the stand?

Does the iPad go in and out of the stand easily?

For some reason the link and the company's main site is down right now. I'll try again later. Thanks for the referral. Any other suggestions?

Yes, it does charge while its in the stand. It has one USB port on the bottom of the base which connects to an outlet, which in essence powers the stand and it's light. Then there is another USB port on the top which connects directly to the iPad itself.

As long as there is no sleeve on the iPad, it snaps in and out of the case with no problems. It has holes in the back of the case to help you push the iPad out. I got the hang of it on mine after using it a few times.

newipaduser

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
US
The Electrostand web site is now up.

Both the Electostand and the Airholder look great. Thanks for the awesome suggestions. Any other suggestions? I may purchase one of these this week ....:eek:..... or maybe both :D

The only additional item I was looking for is that both of these stands require plugging the iPad into the charger by a cord. I was hoping the iPad would sit in the charger instead of plugging in a cord.

I think Electostand and Airholder are 2 different stands and product.
For Airholder, it does have a own docking system for mounting in its extendable swing arm in bed or on the wall.
Electostand or Airholder? it quite depends on where you are going to use it for a long time . In bed or in your desk:cool:

dilthey

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Coupon for electrostand

That electrostand is sweeet!!!!!!!!

Any coupon codes?

thanks

happy trails

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Electrostand looks nice. If I consider doing a lot of typing I might get that and use an apple keyboard set up on a desk like a real computer, that I can convert to tablet on the go

Is the body actiully metal or just chromed plastic?

LegendsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
I received my electrostand last week. I like it. I give it a thumbs up. ;)

The downsides of the stand are:
- It's a mix of metal and plastic but, it's looks really nice.
- The blue light is suppose to go on and off with touching the stand. This function frequently does not work and then suddenly flips through many brightness settings as it finally registers. I've seen the light suddenly come on without anyone near the device. I have another lamp in my house with this same function and the lamp works much better than this product. I think this is cool if it worked right. The blue light is nice.
- I wish the cord than goes from the lamp to the outlet was much longer. The cord that come with the device is at most three feet long. I'll need to purchase a supplemental cord.
- You plug the short cord from the lamp into the ipad to charge it. I wish the charger was fixed into the stand so that you don't need this extra short cord. This way you just place your ipad into the charger when you place it into the stand.

Overall, I and my daughter like this product and will be keeping it. Thanks for the suggestions.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I'm looking for a quality, easy to use charging stand for the new iPad. It would be nice if the stand could hold the iPad in both a horizontal and vertical position. Any suggestions?

I lean my iPad up against my bed side lamp. Simple, elegant and I don't have to buy anything.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I realize the OP found a stand but in case anyone else is interested, I bought this stand last year to use with my iPad 2 and it also works with my iPad 3. I haven't been using it lately as I temporarily am using a snap case on the back (just received new skin for the back) but my iPad 2 had a Dodocase bookBACK installed and it still fit. I have the stand on my nightstand and it works great for simultaneous charging of both my iPad and iPhone (which is also my alarm clock).

iPadStandGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Just read this thread and found Electrostand for the first time. Read your comments and decided to buy it and try it my self. I love it! Definitely worth the price. It's not all metal, but it makes up with all the features and functionality.

Last edited:

polo2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
I received my electrostand last week. I like it. I give it a thumbs up. ;)

The downsides of the stand are:
- It's a mix of metal and plastic but, it's looks really nice.
- The blue light is suppose to go on and off with touching the stand. This function frequently does not work and then suddenly flips through many brightness settings as it finally registers. I've seen the light suddenly come on without anyone near the device. I have another lamp in my house with this same function and the lamp works much better than this product. I think this is cool if it worked right. The blue light is nice.
- I wish the cord than goes from the lamp to the outlet was much longer. The cord that come with the device is at most three feet long. I'll need to purchase a supplemental cord.
- You plug the short cord from the lamp into the ipad to charge it. I wish the charger was fixed into the stand so that you don't need this extra short cord. This way you just place your ipad into the charger when you place it into the stand.

Overall, I and my daughter like this product and will be keeping it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your welcome. I'm glad it worked out for you. I agree, I wish it was all metal but for the price I'm not complaining.

As for the cord, I contacted Electrostand and they told me if the cord was any longer the stand would not charge properly. I did a test just to see...and sure enough when I used a longer USB cord, it charged but it took forever. Let me know how it works out for you with the longer cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.