PDA

View Full Version : .h Header files?

macuser1232
Mar 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
I was wondering if it is ok that I delete some .h and some .r files from my macbook pro. I noticed that the .h files came from the developer folder so I am a little worried. Will these files reappear at some point? Do I need them? Also I was wondering if there is a free application that allows me to remove unneeded or unwanted files on my hardrive.

thundersteele
Mar 24, 2012, 01:26 AM
if you are using any of the developer tools, or any software that requires them, you shouldn't delete .h files. If you don't use dev tools you could delete the Developer folder probably.

Why would you delete .h files? They only contain text, and are mostly a few kb I would guess?

macuser1232
Mar 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
if you are using any of the developer tools, or any software that requires them, you shouldn't delete .h files. If you don't use dev tools you could delete the Developer folder probably.

Why would you delete .h files? They only contain text, and are mostly a few kb I would guess?
dang. I use Xcode and other similar programs.. Is there anyway to get them back?

gnasher729
Mar 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
dang. I use Xcode and other similar programs.. Is there anyway to get them back?

Yes. You go to your backup hard drive and get them back. Or you download the latest XCode from the App Store.

macuser1232
Mar 24, 2012, 10:24 AM

Ok. Im pretty sure that I just copied all of the .h and .r files from my trash and just moved them back the the headers folder then under FlatCarbon.

----------

Yes. You go to your backup hard drive and get them back. Or you download the latest XCode from the App Store.

I dont think I need to anymore but where would my backup hardrive be?

thundersteele
Mar 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
I dont think I need to anymore but where would my backup hardrive be?

At bestbuy, where you go tomorrow and buy one. It's a bad idea to not have backups, exactly for cases like this where you accidentally delete files that you still need.

xStep
Mar 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
The rule is simple. If you don't know WTF you are doing, don't mess with it.

chrono1081
Mar 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
I was wondering if it is ok that I delete some .h and some .r files from my macbook pro. I noticed that the .h files came from the developer folder so I am a little worried. Will these files reappear at some point? Do I need them? Also I was wondering if there is a free application that allows me to remove unneeded or unwanted files on my hardrive.

!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Never delete any files.

Really OSX doesn't contain a ton of unnecessary clutter, also hard drive space is cheap. You can do a ton more damage by removing them than just leaving them there.

These header files are part of the developer tools. You delete them and you may not be able to program using certain functions and things because the files describing them aren't there anymore.

Also, to clarify about backups, you'll want to purchase an external hard drive to back up your important data on. You can use OSX's Time Machine feature to do this in order to simplify the process, however I see Time Machine more as a fail safe than a backup. Something like Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) would be a better option for backups in my opinion.