Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Recently, I'm getting a brief message that there are something like 600 emails in my account, yet I keep my email folders very clean. I'm guessing it means iCloud is backing them up (it IS turned on for email), but not deleting them when I delete them from my iPhone4 or iPad2. Anyone have information on this? :confused:

nineteenatetwo

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
It doesn't back up your emails since they're already in the cloud. Go to iCloud.com and look around for anything you might not have seen on the devices.

Maybe there's lots of stuff in your Junk or Trash folders.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Recently, I'm getting a brief message that there are something like 600 emails in my account, yet I keep my email folders very clean. I'm guessing it means iCloud is backing them up (it IS turned on for email), but not deleting them when I delete them from my iPhone4 or iPad2. Anyone have information on this? :confused:

You might want to check your iCloud email settings. There is a toggle that lets you archive your deleted mail. So you may have 600 "archived" deleted emails.

Just a thought.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Thanks for the suggestions... I checked out my settings for email and iCloud. I don't have "archive" on, but there was another setting that might be the culprit - the "Recent Messages" to show. I had it at the max (1,000). Perhaps that means iCloud has to store that many before automatically deleting from the trash.

I changed "Recent Messages" to 200, which is probably way more than I need. I'll see if I'm still getting that notice of hundreds of emails in storage. Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.