Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_in_uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
About to buy a new camcorder. Has anybody had any experience with importing video into the Mac via the new non-tape camcorders - the type that record the footage to memory stick or flash card??
Not sure whether the quality is any good, or whether you can control the camera via firewire like you can do with miniDV cameras.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Typically those camcorders record in a very compressed MPEG-4. While MPEG-4 is a good codec, most of the cameras I have seen use a pretty heavy compression which makes them good for Internet, but not really TV quality (but that was a little while ago, maybe they've improved some). Personally I like to get the video as uncompressed as possible (MiniDV compresses, but not even close to as much as these MPEG-4 cameras) so that I can do whatever I want with it. Plus the memory sticks are still muchmore expensive than a MiniDV tape.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The only viable non-tape camcorders are the ones that use P2 memory cards. Everything else is just a toy.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
The only viable non-tape camcorders are the ones that use P2 memory cards. Everything else is just a toy.

P2 is a professional-only solution. Each card (i think they're up to 8 minutes now?) costs thousands of dollars. Not very convenient for home use. There are plenty of other solutions for someone looking for a low-cost solution, where uncompressed quality is not essential.

aussie_in_uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
kgarner said:
Typically those camcorders record in a very compressed MPEG-4. While MPEG-4 is a good codec, most of the cameras I have seen use a pretty heavy compression which makes them good for Internet, but not really TV quality (but that was a little while ago, maybe they've improved some). Personally I like to get the video as uncompressed as possible (MiniDV compresses, but not even close to as much as these MPEG-4 cameras) so that I can do whatever I want with it. Plus the memory sticks are still muchmore expensive than a MiniDV tape.

Sounds a bit dodgy then. Was looking for something small, but by the time I produce a DVD on the Mac, it might look a bit shaky on the big screen plasma. Has anybody else messed around with home movies with one of these MPEG camera - baby stuff, holidays etc - certainly not shooting the next episode of Star Wars.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pdpfilms said:
P2 is a professional-only solution. Each card (i think they're up to 8 minutes now?) costs thousands of dollars. Not very convenient for home use. There are plenty of other solutions for someone looking for a low-cost solution, where uncompressed quality is not essential.

On the consumer end all the tapeless solutions really don't stand up when compared to MiniDV. They are DVD quality or worse, and typically do not play well out of the box w/Macs as they come w/proprietary software that is Windows only.

DVD-quality MPEG-2 is a fine place to end up, but it's a really bad place to start.

Lethal

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
On the consumer end all the tapeless solutions really don't stand up when compared to MiniDV. They are DVD quality or worse, and typically do not play well out of the box w/Macs as they come w/proprietary software that is Windows only.

DVD-quality MPEG-2 is a fine place to end up, but it's a really bad place to start.

Very true. As i said, there are plenty of other solutions, dv being one of them. If you're looking for a cheap and easy camera I'd suggest a consumer minidv cam. You'll know it works flawlessly with the mac, and you won't have to worry about compression problems. I think it'll be a while (at least 2-3 years) before P2 quality or anything close to it for that matter is reduced in cost to be feasible for the home user.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
LethalWolfe said:
Well put. Too many people think, "DVD quality. Great." But not for editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.