PDA

View Full Version : Lion Theme For Leopard

tayloralmond
Mar 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
I did some searching today to see if I could make Leopard look more like Lion. I stumbled across a MacRumors forum thread where a user named AQUADock hooked the community up with a theme. I placed the files in the proper places on my G5 Quad and I attached a screenshot to show how it turned out. I'm quite satisfied. Just thought I'd re-share this for anyone who's interested seeing as Leopard is the newest OS any of us can install.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1215857

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks for this, but do note that im not the original maker of this theme someone on the Macthemes forum made this theme for snow leopard and i ported it over. This theme is only the beta version of it I have the final version for SL and since there are people interested in it i will port it over for you guys, it looks 10x better than this one. Also i will try and find who the original creator of this is.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 04:17 AM
Do share please... though something looks a bit more different on this than Lion...

GermanyChris
Mar 25, 2012, 04:58 AM
I'd be interested in a Snow Leopard version..

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 05:18 AM
http://f.cl.ly/items/2h1B0E140e1q081S0r14/powerbook.png
V3.0 Released this includes an iTunes theme. This will be the last update before Mountain Lion comes out. Enjoy!

Desktop Preview (http://f.cl.ly/items/3U1w3m161K2Q2W2G2m19/Lion%20Theme.png) Installer (http://cl.ly/3E3Y0i2M2d2g3D0Y0B1g) Uninstaller (http://cl.ly/3t3M2b2U0r2h2O0l1R1K)
For Leopard 10.5.3+ Only

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 06:18 AM
Oh great, just great. I followed the instructions to the T. Got the original backed up files, after logging out then back in, the Menubar won't respond and Finder keeps crashing when I try to interact with it. No apps will launch and unable to restore the backed up files since Finder keeps crashing.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 06:34 AM
Oh great, just great. I followed the instructions to the T. Got the original backed up files, after logging out then back in, the Menubar won't respond and Finder keeps crashing when I try to interact with it. No apps will launch and unable to restore the backed up files since Finder keeps crashing.

So sorry about that i should of tested it on my powerbook, im fixing it now.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 06:50 AM
How do I restore the files, boot from the DVD?

Jethryn Freyman
Mar 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
Your download link doesn't work :(

Cool though

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 06:56 AM
How do I restore the files, boot from the DVD?
yes

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 07:07 AM
After a bit of terminal, got it back. Losing the UI like that did not spark any confidence. :/

No offence, you should really test it before releasing.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 07:15 AM
After a bit of terminal, got it back. Losing the UI like that did not spark any confidence. :/

No offence, you should really test it before releasing.
yes I should of, this is not the only theme i have ported but this is the first time its happened.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 07:18 AM
Looking forward to the working version. As Leopard badly needs a facelift.

zen.state
Mar 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
Threads merged!

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 08:10 AM
Its working now, and thanks zen.state for being so blunt i saw what you wrote on the other thread it partly wasn't my fault that it wasn't working, buggy software is to blame for not compiling the files properly.

zen.state
Mar 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Its working now, and thanks zen.state for being so blunt i saw what you wrote on the other thread it partly wasn't my fault that it wasn't working, buggy software is to blame for not compiling the files properly.

To be fair it's vohdoun's fault as much as yours. It's a bit stunning how quickly some people will throw things into their macs that random people upload on forums.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
To be fair it's vohdoun's fault as much as yours. It's a bit stunning how quickly some people will throw things into their macs that random people upload on forums.

How is that any different to the days of MacThemes.net? people post images of the theme they created, people download it because it appealed to them. They wanted something different or updated Aqua tweaks since that was always their thing.

It's not like I jumped on some rogue forum and downloaded some hoax.

It's times like this I miss Shapeshifter.

As is the same what people are doing with their iPhones.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
How is that any different to the days of MacThemes.net? people post images of the theme they created, people download it because it appealed to them. They wanted something different or updated Aqua tweaks since that was always their thing.

It's not like I jumped on some rogue forum and downloaded some hoax.

It's times like this I miss Shapeshifter.

As is the same what people are doing with their iPhones.

Did you try it? Im definite that its working now.

tayloralmond
Mar 25, 2012, 12:28 PM

I've got the new version installed. The only glitch I've noticed so far is the top of TenFourFox windows are discolored and the font is hard to read. Other than that, it's great.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
I've got the new version installed. The only glitch I've noticed so far is the top of TenFourFox windows are discolored and the font is hard to read. Other than that, it's great.
I knew this would happen, this is fixable with a firefox plugin but i have no idea how.

tayloralmond
Mar 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
I knew this would happen, this is fixable with a firefox plugin but i have no idea how.

Any chance this could be ported to Tiger as well? I'd love to have this look on my iMac G3.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Any chance this could be ported to Tiger as well? I'd love to have this look on my iMac G3.

Unfortunately not because the the art and sartfiles don't exist in tiger.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 01:31 PM

Not yet.

It's not the theme, it's TenFourFox itself. I don't know why they made the toolbar lose it's gradient. When you take off tabs on top the whole thing is flat grey.

adcx64
Mar 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just lost the UI on my PowerMac. I need to do a restore.

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 01:55 PM

With the update? strange. Strange how it supposedly works fine on that person's Quad G5. I'll pass on trying it again then. Can't be bothered faffing about restoring it again.

I really do miss Shapeshifter. You could preview the theme to make sure it was working properly before applying it systemwide.

tayloralmond
Mar 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
With the update? strange. Strange how it supposedly works fine on that person's Quad G5. I'll pass on trying it again then. Can't be bothered faffing about restoring it again.

I really do miss Shapeshifter. You could preview the theme to make sure it was working properly before applying it systemwide.

Supposedly? Why would I make a new thread for something that doesn't even work? I've installed this on my Quad, my G4 FW800, and and my iBook G4 with no problems other than the TenFourFox issue I mentioned above.

AQUADock
Mar 25, 2012, 02:08 PM

Are you sure you downloaded the new one? Are you sure you followed the instructions properly? This only works on leopard.

adcx64
Mar 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yep. Luckily I've made a backup partition and I'll just copy the files back over.

tayloralmond
Mar 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
Are you sure you downloaded the new one? Are you sure you followed the instructions properly? This only works on leopard.

It's possible they pushed "cancel" instead of "authenticate," causing no file to be replaced in the folder, crashing the UI. It's what I almost did myself.

adcx64
Mar 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
I believe I might have taken the step backward, putting the wrong file in the directory. I'm fixing this now!

vohdoun
Mar 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
It's possible they pushed "cancel" instead of "authenticate," causing no file to be replaced in the folder, crashing the UI. It's what I almost did myself.

I certainly did not push cancel. I put the proper files in their respective places the first time.

eyoungren
Mar 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Working perfectly for me, 17" Powerbook G4/1Ghz.

Replaced files per instructions. But before logging out I used CandyBar to replace icons (otherwise I'd have to log back out again). Then I logged out and back in. No issues so far.

I'm liking the fact that the window title bars seem to be narrower. I detest large bars (title, tool, whatever).

AQUADock
Mar 26, 2012, 06:28 AM
Working perfectly for me, 17" Powerbook G4/1Ghz.

Replaced files per instructions. But before logging out I used CandyBar to replace icons (otherwise I'd have to log back out again). Then I logged out and back in. No issues so far.

I'm liking the fact that the window title bars seem to be narrower. I detest large bars (title, tool, whatever).
They are the same size its funny what colour can do.
I believe I might have taken the step backward, putting the wrong file in the directory. I'm fixing this now!

I have updated it with an installer, uninstaller and safari mod. If anyone has any issues please tell me. I have tested both installers and they are working perfectly.

eyoungren
Mar 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I am perceiving the title bar as being smaller, but it's not.

Just wondering. I don't think it's possible, but you never know unless you ask. Any way to change the login window (Leopard, 10.5.8) to resemble Lion's login window? I know I can change the background image and the logo, but a few Google searches aren't bringing up anything about changing the login window/style itself.

vohdoun
Mar 26, 2012, 05:49 PM
Best you can do is use Loginox 1.0.2b7 for the background.

eyoungren
Mar 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Best you can do is use Loginox 1.0.2b7 for the background.
Thanks! I figured as much, but wanted to make sure.

Nameci
Apr 1, 2012, 07:20 PM
Here is the final Lion theme for Leopard which now installs via an installer, uninstaller also included.

Blue Preview:
Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/1J0v1O1133213q11441A/Blue.png)

Graphite:
Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/1J0v1O1133213q11441A/Graphite.png)

Safari bookmark button mod:
Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/2D2n2o3j1b1e0d0f0F2E/Safari.png)

Download Installer (http://cl.ly/351J203d2X0P3i2b3V2Q) (10.5.x Only)
Download Safari bookmark mod (http://cl.ly/111N2Y3F1H3c2D0a041n)

Where can I dl the icons for the Finder sidebar?

AQUADock
Apr 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
Where can I dl the icons for the Finder sidebar?
Here you go http://dribbble.com/shots/147868-Mac-OS-X-Lion-Style-Sidebar-Icons

Nameci
Apr 2, 2012, 04:12 PM
Many thanks Aqua, unfortunately I am not with my powermac G5 right and will probably not be until after two weeks. But those icons are awesome.

Goftrey
Apr 2, 2012, 05:32 PM
I may install this on my G5 tomorrow, but first can I have confirmation that it actually works & isn't too buggy. My future time machine hard drive is still in the post & I don't fancy mucking my OS up :rolleyes: Cheers

Nameci
Apr 2, 2012, 05:41 PM
I have tried installing the theme last Saturday on my G5 and it works pretty well. No hiccups or freezing or whatsoever, except the fullscreen icon is not functioning as it should be. It is just removing the toolbars... Lol.

Goftrey
Apr 3, 2012, 11:09 AM
Just installed on my G5, all's good! Really nice theme, if you don't mind, I'd like to do a video on my channel showing everyone this theme, I get asked quite a lot how to download Lion on PowerPC (sigh) & Lion themes etc. I'll give you the credit obviously :)

AQUADock
Apr 3, 2012, 12:13 PM
Just installed on my G5, all's good! Really nice theme, if you don't mind, I'd like to do a video on my channel showing everyone this theme, I get asked quite a lot how to download Lion on PowerPC (sigh) & Lion themes etc. I'll give you the credit obviously :)

Thanks that would be great.

I have tried installing the theme last Saturday on my G5 and it works pretty well. No hiccups or freezing or whatsoever, except the fullscreen icon is not functioning as it should be. It is just removing the toolbars... Lol.

That's because im only replacing the UI files not changing system functionality lol.

MAC MAN JW
Apr 5, 2012, 09:08 PM
I Will be trying the Lion theme on my 12in 1.5GHz powerbook G4 this week i will let you know how it works:)

AQUADock
May 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've updated the theme check the first page.

tayloralmond
May 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
I've updated the theme check the first page.

Hey AQUADock, I posted a link to this theme you ported on a blog I work on. Did you ever find out who originally posted the Snow Leopard version of this theme? I mentioned you as the person who ported it, but I wanted to give credit to the creator of the Snow Leopard version if possible.

AQUADock
May 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hey AQUADock, I posted a link to this theme you ported on a blog I work on. Did you ever find out who originally posted the Snow Leopard version of this theme? I mentioned you as the person who ported it, but I wanted to give credit to the creator of the Snow Leopard version if possible.
Thanks, yes i found out it's written in the read me. Most of the elements in this new theme are extracted from iTunes i left very few parts from the old one. If you still want to credit him he's this guy from the Macthemes forum (http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16810458).
Nice blog by the way.

Nameci
May 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
The theme does not have any effect on iTunes.

tayloralmond
May 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks, yes i found out it's written in the read me. Most of the elements in this new theme are extracted from iTunes i left very few parts from the old one. If you still want to credit him he's this guy from the Macthemes forum (http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16810458).
Nice blog by the way.

Well if there's little left of the original work, I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for the compliment.

AQUADock
May 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
The theme does not have any effect on iTunes.

That's because iTunes uses its own files to theme itself. Good news is that it's easily editable. If you want it to look like lion i can theme it for you. Could you find the iTunes.rsrc file and upload it, just to make sure it will work.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2g0L2B0Z161Z1b3Z3C18/m.png

tayloralmond
May 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's because iTunes uses its own files to theme itself. Good news is that it's easily editable. If you want it to look like lion i can theme it for you. Could you find the iTunes.rsrc file and upload it, just to make sure it will work.

Image (http://f.cl.ly/items/2g0L2B0Z161Z1b3Z3C18/m.png)

I'd be interested in that if you get around to it. I'm guessing that could be included in an updated installer for your theme?

vohdoun
Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
Since it's theme related, I was working on a work in progress dock to try and mimic the Mountain Lion dock (http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1058408-os-x-108-mountain-lion-preview/page__view__findpost__p__594927331). Sadly Candybar stretches some parts just a bit too much due to the curves.

AQUADock
Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
Since it's theme related, I was working on a work in progress dock to try and mimic the Mountain Lion dock (http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1058408-os-x-108-mountain-lion-preview/page__view__findpost__p__594927331). Sadly Candybar stretches some parts just a bit too much due to the curves.

I don't have much of a clue in dock theming, but i have always had that issue with Candybar. To me the dock looks very good the only thing i would change is the indicator size, it should be slightly longer same goes for the separator.

AQUADock
Jun 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Version 2.5 released check the first page.

Goftrey
Jun 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
Just thought I'd say that I've posted a video on the theme, and a few other things like App Store & Launchpad. This isn't a plug, I promised I'd make one a while back so here it is :p

_ao5NHdBDTI

PS. Not v2.5, as I recorded the video about a month ago.

Goftrey
Jun 13, 2012, 01:11 PM

Would you be able to upload that for us? Looks pretty sweet as it is.

tayloralmond
Jun 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Version 2.5 released check the first page.

I'll be sure to update MyMacCollection's page dedicated to it.

----------

I'd like to get a copy too. That looks awesome.

vohdoun
Jun 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
I don't have much of a clue in dock theming, but i have always had that issue with Candybar. To me the dock looks very good the only thing i would change is the indicator size, it should be slightly longer same goes for the separator.

It's a bit of a pain with trial and error trying to guess how many pixels will stretch to try and get it to blend nicely. Indicators still need to be a bit more wider?

Tried to copy the pictures of Mountain Lion as I could with how basic Leopard is with the dock. Bevel at the back for darker windows, subtle reflection at the front of the dock but disappears towards the rear of the dock.

I'd like to get a copy too. That looks awesome.

You will, you'll get a copy available here once I've finished tweaking.

AQUADock
Jun 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
V3.0 released it now includes an iTunes theme. This will be the last update before ML is released.

Jessica Lares
Jun 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
V3.0 released it now includes an iTunes theme. This will be the last update before ML is released.

Great, will update later then! I've been using it for a few days on the G5. With Megazoomer added, you pretty much get most of the experience. :D

RMT25
Jun 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have a Lion theme for Mac OS X Tiger? :p

AQUADock
Jun 16, 2012, 10:38 AM

No i don't think there is a Lion theme but there is a leopard theme if you're interested.

tayloralmond
Jun 16, 2012, 01:53 PM

Just updated it on MyMacCollection. Thanks for all the updates.

AQUADock
Jun 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just updated it on MyMacCollection. Thanks for all the updates.

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words. :)

Drew017
Jun 17, 2012, 11:04 AM

Back when I used my G3 I made one for Shapeshifter. I can upload that if you'd like, but themeing Tiger is a lot different from leopard... and it may not look as good as AQUAdock's theme.

You can refer to this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1215904) thread as well for Tiger...

here's the Tiger theme...

Lion Theme For Tiger (http://ifile.it/d5n6eix/Lion Theme for Tiger.dmg) (Click "request download ticket" to download the file)

RMT25
Jun 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
Thank you very much! Just what I was looking for.

One problem though, I clicked the thing that said "3D Dock" and "2D Dock" and I don't really like the look and don't need it.

Any way to get the normal Dock back while keeping the Lion theme on?

I should never have clicked those.

Drew017
Jun 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Thank you very much! Just what I was looking for.

One problem though, I clicked the thing that said "3D Dock" and "2D Dock" and I don't really like the look and don't need it.

Any way to get the normal Dock back while keeping the Lion theme on?

I should never have clicked those.

Just take the app off of your startup items list (click the "-" button) and re- color the dock background in clear dock. Then log out.

Ps- post a screenshot!

RMT25
Jun 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Just take the app off of your startup items list (click the "-" button) and re- color the dock background in clear dock. Then log out.

Ps- post a screenshot!

Ok it worked, but also got rid of my ClearDock preference and Shapeshifter preference. Thanks for your work and help!

Here's the screenshot:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg38/scaled.php?server=38&filename=screenshotsyh.png&res=landing

:D

Drew017
Jun 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
that looks really good! If you'd like, here is the higher resolution galaxy wallpaper...

RMT25
Jun 19, 2012, 08:36 AM
OK thanks. I used to have the higher resolution one of that when it came out but have changed to many different wallpapers since. I just got that wallpaper off Google Images for the screenshot haha :)

I reinstalled Shapeshifter and everything is perfect now. Thanks once again!

2 questions:

Why does the Lion theme not work in Safari 4.1.3? Still blue apple at top, etc.

Are you ever going to update this theme/project?

Drew017
Jun 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
OK thanks. I used to have the higher resolution one of that when it came out but have changed to many different wallpapers since. I just got that wallpaper off Google Images for the screenshot haha :)

I reinstalled Shapeshifter and everything is perfect now. Thanks once again!

2 questions:

Why does the Lion theme not work in Safari 4.1.3? Still blue apple at top, etc.

Are you ever going to update this theme/project?

(a) Safari 4 has its own images for the toolbar (not sure about the menubar... I always used to hide it. I also know that if you use Safari 2 or 3 the theme will work)

(b) This is the updated version. If you see something that needs working on, I'll try to do my best to fix it! Other than that, this is it!

Ther0
Aug 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
I accidentally installed this on Lion without reading the small text saying it was incompatible and thought it said 10.5 or higher. Could you make a package to fix it for me like the Leopard Restore UI pkg? My mac icons are invisible!

Goftrey
Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
I accidentally installed this on Lion without reading the small text saying it was incompatible and thought it said 10.5 or higher. Could you make a package to fix it for me like the Leopard Restore UI pkg? My mac icons are invisible!

Why on Earth would you install an OS X Lion theme... On OS X Lion?

The only thing I can think of is TimeMachine. I don't see how anybody could make a restore pack for an OS that the theme wasn't intended to be installed on.

AdrianK
Aug 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Why on Earth would you install an OS X Lion theme... On OS X Lion?
Yo dawg, we heard you like the look of OS X Lion, so we themed your Lion to look Lion so you can... ah, you get the point.

GermanyChris
Aug 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
why on earth you you Lion theme Tiger?

AQUADock
Aug 28, 2012, 03:31 PM

Unfortunately I can't I don't have lion installed on any machine.

Ther0
Aug 29, 2012, 04:17 AM
Could you tell me which files are modded, so I could restore them? I have access to another mac running lion that is working normally.
UPDATE: NVM, I restored with the recovery HD. It took a long time to download components, but my mac is back to normal.