PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 13 running Windows 7 Pro via Bootcamp.

Stealthipad
Mar 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
Getting ready to buy the MacBook Air 13 with the 256SSD.

I want to partition the drive via Bootcamp to the smallest practical MAC partition leaving the largest amount for Win 7 Pro. I will be using the MS Office Suite, CS5 and Quickbooks Pro.

My questions are does Lion work well with Bootcamp and run Win7 Pro with the performance I need.

Are there any issues I should know about? Also can I use a portable DVD USB drive from my Lenovo instead of getting the Apple drive?

Any help or advice.

ZBoater
Mar 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Getting ready to buy the MacBook Air 13 with the 256SSD.

I want to partition the drive via Bootcamp to the smallest practical MAC partition leaving the largest amount for Win 7 Pro. I will be using the MS Office Suite, CS5 and Quickbooks Pro.

My questions are does Lion work well with Bootcamp and run Win7 Pro with the performance I need.

Are there any issues I should know about? Also can I use a portable DVD USB drive from my Lenovo instead of getting the Apple drive?

Any help or advice.

Windows 7 runs great under Bootcamp in my MBA. I went the other way, I did 50GB for Windows and 200GB for Mac. I installed the entire Office suite on the Windows partition including Visio and MS Project, several other apps, and still have 28GB left.

I didn't use a CD drive. If you have an ISO image of the Windows 7 install CD, Bootcamp can use that to create a bootable USB stick with the Windows source and all the Windows drivers you will need. Bootcamp walks you through the whole process. Very easy.

The one thing that was unclear to me was how the Windows drivers got installed. I am so used to searching for drivers as a Windows geek, that the simple, elegant solution escaped me. Just run the .exe that Bootcamp puts in the bootable USB stick under the drivers folder (I think) and all the drivers are automatically installed. Very sweet.

As a former Windows geek I can tell you iTunes on Mac is a lot sweeter than iTunes on Windows. They must do that on purpose. :D I also installed Office for Mac but have not gotten used to that yet. I also installed Parallels, which lets me run the Windows bootcamp partition inside the Mac OS, so the Windows apps launch and look like they are running on the Mac OS. Very, very impressive.

Good luck!

aph3x
Mar 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
I did pretty much the exact same thing as ZBoater and it runs great. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate off a USB stick and also ran the Bootcamp drivers. I use VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels if I decide to start it up on the Mac side.

Because the majority of the time I connect to my work machine via RDP I find myself not using Bootcamp or Fusion very much but it's convenient to have when I do need it. I'll never go smaller than a 256GB SSD since it's the minimum to be able to have plenty of space on the Mac side and also be able to have Bootcamp.

philosopherdog
Mar 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
I've been running it daily for about 6 months. It runs very well. It's never crashed. The only issue is the mouse driver sucks. No gestures. I just plug in an external. Bootcamp is totally solid and installation is fast and easy.

fruitycups
Mar 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wirelessly posted

It worked good for me too.

Stealthipad
Mar 26, 2012, 05:14 AM
Windows 7 runs great under Bootcamp in my MBA. I went the other way, I did 50GB for Windows and 200GB for Mac. I installed the entire Office suite on the Windows partition including Visio and MS Project, several other apps, and still have 28GB left.

I didn't use a CD drive. If you have an ISO image of the Windows 7 install CD, Bootcamp can use that to create a bootable USB stick with the Windows source and all the Windows drivers you will need. Bootcamp walks you through the whole process. Very easy.

The one thing that was unclear to me was how the Windows drivers got installed. I am so used to searching for drivers as a Windows geek, that the simple, elegant solution escaped me. Just run the .exe that Bootcamp puts in the bootable USB stick under the drivers folder (I think) and all the drivers are automatically installed. Very sweet.

As a former Windows geek I can tell you iTunes on Mac is a lot sweeter than iTunes on Windows. They must do that on purpose. :D I also installed Office for Mac but have not gotten used to that yet. I also installed Parallels, which lets me run the Windows bootcamp partition inside the Mac OS, so the Windows apps launch and look like they are running on the Mac OS. Very, very impressive.

Good luck!

All went perfect with out a single glitch! I only left 30GB for MAC and the rest towards WIndows. MORE than enough room for me for Windows. Performance is very good.

I did pretty much the exact same thing as ZBoater and it runs great. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate off a USB stick and also ran the Bootcamp drivers. I use VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels if I decide to start it up on the Mac side.

Because the majority of the time I connect to my work machine via RDP I find myself not using Bootcamp or Fusion very much but it's convenient to have when I do need it. I'll never go smaller than a 256GB SSD since it's the minimum to be able to have plenty of space on the Mac side and also be able to have Bootcamp.

Yep, 256 is good for me as I am a heavy user of DropBox. I did not use the stick as I had a portable USB drive. BootCampis way better than the last time I used it, not a single problem.

I've been running it daily for about 6 months. It runs very well. It's never crashed. The only issue is the mouse driver sucks. No gestures. I just plug in an external. Bootcamp is totally solid and installation is fast and easy.

After an adjustment for double and right click the mouse pad works very well for me. I am a WIndows person using Apple hardware so the gestures are something I am not used to.

Thanks everyone!