Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
well I was just given an ti 800 (yay!) and I need one of those special cases in order to take it to class. on a GOOD day, my backpack weighs 20 pounds, so there's a lot of stuff that would be pressing against it. My G3 lombard, which I have carried unprotected, looks a lot like it was dragged for a few hundred miles by a car he he :D so I need some sort of hard case, not just some sort of cloth shell. I also need something that I can stick in my backpack; it can't be something like a suitcase or whatnot. can anybody give me any advice on a hard case that might work for me?

also, I remember seeing that there are those little sponge thingies that go inside the computer to protect the screen. can anybody give me a link to a site that has one of those?

and one last thing... it has a 40 gig drive, and I was thinking of perhaps putting one of those very fase (or so I've read) travelstars in it. size doesn't really matter, but how well would it speed it up? (has anybody tried doing this before? is it worth the price?)

thanks for any help anybody can offer

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Build One...

My friend has an iBook 600, 12.1 inch, and he built his own case. He had a gun case, it was like titanium or aluminum on the outside, and on the inside it was that really soft foam. You know, the kind they package....ram and stuff with? Not the little flakes, but actual foam. So he bought 2 halves of that, enough of that to fill the whole inside of the case. Then, he cut out the size of the ibook into each half, so he like cut .65inches deep into each half, and then did the same length and stuff.

Its a really protective case.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
timbuk2.com, get the wide-screen Laptop Sleeve, it's just for the comptuer, no cables, but very sleek and protects very well. Good luck!

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Titanium 1 by Brenthaven

It's the best case out there, not the lightest but the best.

I've also heard from folks who loved the Brenthaven backpack model. Both have an inner removable sleeve which protects the PB - saved my PB when I stopped short!

These are both available at Apple's site.

moby1

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
TravelStar

I put a 5400 RPM 48 GB TravelStar in my Ti 800 and it really boosted performance noticeably when copying files (write to) - also much quieter than the stock drive in the PB.

moby1

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
even quieter than the stock one O_O? wow I'll have to check that out thanks :D

I think Ill be getting the Monolith from...grr forgot the name of the company...

thanks everybody :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.