PDA

View Full Version : system preferences

carcha
Mar 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hi, I have a power mac G4 with Mac OSX 10.5. I went to open system preferences and it shows up in the tool bar as being there but you can't see it. What can I do to find it and make it visible? Also all of my word applications no longer work, entourage,excel, and so on....I do not have the app disc nor the app disk number. What do I need to do to get them working again?

simsaladimbamba
Mar 25, 2012, 03:17 PM
Have you tried deleting "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

carcha
Mar 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
I hadn't but I did and it worked, thank you for your help.:) Any ideas what happened?:confused:
also... I noticed in my network pref where it shows location, status, addresses, and so forth, in the left hand box there is a new service name that shows its connected and has a ip address. Someone who uses my computer created this I'm sure, but why would they?

simsaladimbamba
Mar 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
I hadn't but I did and it worked, thank you for your help.:) Any ideas what happened?:confused:
System Preferences either got corrupter, or if there ever was a second display it got stuck there. The PLIST file deleteion resets such settings.

also... I noticed in my network pref where it shows location, status, addresses, and so forth, in the left hand box there is a new service name that shows its connected and has a ip address. Someone who uses my computer created this I'm sure, but why would they?
What is the name of the service and which interface does it use? Couldn't it be yours?

carcha
Mar 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
The service is the 6 to 4, I didnt set it up, It probably was my daughters boyfriend. I'm not sure what benefit it will serve, maybe enable him to open my computer from another? I also found other servers that I didnt have before, Win and webDav to name a couple. How do they work?:o